Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Accessory Discussion / Reviews>Paul Humidors
Luciuswand 10:39 AM 04-08-2009
Anyone sunk the money into one of these beauties? Had any regrets? I'm looking for a high quality furniture piece for my house, no veneers, no cheapo plywood, no drowning in shellac. If you have good or bad things to say about one from Paul let me know. Thanks!
[Reply]
ahc4353 10:42 AM 04-08-2009
Originally Posted by Luciuswand:
Anyone sunk the money into one of these beauties? Had any regrets? I'm looking for a high quality furniture piece for my house, no veneers, no cheapo plywood, no drowning in shellac. If you have good or bad things to say about one from Paul let me know. Thanks!
Link?
[Reply]
Footbag 10:47 AM 04-08-2009
Originally Posted by ahc4353:
Link?
I found this one http://www.cigar-humidors.com/

They look nice, I would also look at Aristocrat if you haven't already.
I know they do some veneer work, but being in the fine furniture business, I can tell you that good veneered furniture is not inferior to solid wood furniture. In many cases it can be superior. That is as long as the manufacturer is using good quality, kiln dried hardwoods as their solids as opposed to plywood or MDF.
[Reply]
pnoon 10:52 AM 04-08-2009
Originally Posted by Footbag:
I would also look at Aristocrat if you haven't already.
:-)
www.aristocrathumidors.com
[Reply]
stearns 01:50 PM 04-08-2009
never heard anything go wrong with an aristocrat. looked around on that site for a while, and i gotta say, this is a really cool idea

http://www.cigar-humidors.com/drawer_humidor.html

just wish they had rough prices on there, obviously they will change as they are custom-made

stearns
[Reply]
Luciuswand 02:10 PM 04-08-2009
Thanks for advice.

Prices for the Paul ones are pretty steep. An example, the double door version of the one in this link http://www.cigar-humidors.com/smallcabinet.html runs 2800+.

I don't mind the high prices, if its actually a furniture piece that will compliment my house, not fall apart, and not resemble walmart furniture.

Also, you are right, veneer doesn't have to be bad, but bad veneer work can be terrible.
[Reply]
ucla695 08:09 PM 04-08-2009
Aristocrats are the way to go and Bob will build it to match any decor. :-)
[Reply]
WildBlueSooner 08:40 PM 04-08-2009
The Pauls do looke really nice...that sounds so gay :-)
[Reply]
darkninja67 11:11 PM 04-08-2009
Looks like Paul has an option for exotic wood species. That said, I would parrot what the others have said: go with an Aristocrat. They are that good.
[Reply]
skullnrose 11:30 AM 04-15-2009
I put my plug in for an Aristocrat. They are beautiful and will add to your decor
[Reply]
Humidor Minister 01:55 PM 04-15-2009
Originally Posted by Luciuswand:
That's a very nice humidor but don't be so quick to discredit veneers. I use them over a solid wood regularly due to the fact that you'll never find a humidor with exotic burls in a solid material. The substrate is what you want to look at. Is it quality or is it crap. Sometimes it's even better due to the fact that wood movement can be a real PITA. It really comes down to using quality materials for the right application. You'll never see solid wood look like this. The raised panel construction you see in that humidor allows the panel to expand and contract due to the edges being in a groove. That is the proper way to build that unit. From what I can see, it's very fine construction. I'll be starting a similar unit soon.
[Reply]
Up