Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Accessory Discussion / Reviews>30 Bottle Wine Cooler
starmike 06:45 PM 04-04-2009
I can get a Haier 30 Bottle Wine Cooler for $50. The Cooling Method is Compressor. I think I read some where that this is not good. Is that true?

Please help.
[Reply]
bobarian 07:06 PM 04-04-2009
To my recollection several brothers are currently using compressor type coolers or refrigerators. Check the Haier website to see the max temp. You may need to add a Johnson Thermostat to get the temp high enough. Setting up a timer to cycle the cooler will also help maintain rh. You might need to use an extra pound of beads to help add rh to aid recovery when the unit cycles. :-)
[Reply]
ChasDen 08:01 PM 04-04-2009
This is probably like asking cello on or off, there are going to be people on both sides. The main concern is the Max temp as mentioned and the swing you get in the RH when the compressor comes on. I would highly suggest you go to Wally World and get one of the $7 hygrometers that show the high and low RH for the day. Ignore the people who will tell you they are junk and are off. For this exercise we don’t care if it’s "right". Place it in the unit and let it sit without opening the door for 48 hours. Every 24 hours the highs and lows reset. This will tell you the swing in RH. If it’s more than 5, I would not suggest you store your cigars in the "open". Keep them in closed boxes. Also as mentioned you may need extra beads to help bring back up the RH when the unit cycles.

In conclusion if it works for you its right :-)

Chas
[Reply]
starmike 08:29 PM 04-04-2009
Originally Posted by starmike:
I can get a Haier 30 Bottle Wine Cooler for $50. The Cooling Method is Compressor. I think I read some where that this is not good. Is that true?

Please help.
Here is a picture.
Attached: Haier 30.jpg (6.9 KB) 
[Reply]
shaggy 09:11 AM 04-05-2009
the problem with compressor type of coolers is the RH swings. i never tried one but i recall hearing about 20 point swings in the RH when the compressor comes on. granted this is the ambient RH in the cabnet and in boxes wouldnt be as bad prolly but it would be a good bet to just avoid it in my opinion
[Reply]
Raralith 08:31 PM 04-05-2009
I was thinking of going this route before I found my Vino. My plan was to use a Johnson Thermostat for the tempeture and my regular humidors for RH. Johnson Thermostat's work by having a sensor inside the cooling unit, and a plug between the socket and the cooling unit so the thermostat is always on. When it gets to the right tempeture, it turns off the cooling unit by shutting off the power, and when the tempeture rises, it turns back on the cooling unit. Using my regular humidors inside with beads would keep my cigars in good standing since they would be protected. Also, humidors are cheap on cigarbid so money wasn't a concern. The only reason though that I was going through all this trouble was that Los Angeles gets into the 100's during the summer so cooling is almost a requirement.

If you can though, I'd check Craigslist or eBay for a Vino. Unless you are building your own, you can easily buy them here from people.
[Reply]
starmike 07:15 PM 04-07-2009
Thank you for all the input guy's. I think I am going to save my money and get an Edgestar.

Chuck will need your help at that time.
[Reply]
Up