Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Page 17 of 60
« First < 7151617 181927 > Last »
Sports>Being a Hockey Parent
E.J. 12:46 PM 04-08-2011
Walked into the shop to get a sharpen and walked out with new skates for the Little One today.... They usually have almost no yth sized skates, but they just had a shipment and had her size. We we're close to, if not into, the market already....so guess it all worked out for the best....

Originally Posted by Ahbroody:
Then she blurts out in the car we should start looking at RVs for instate travel while he's young. I had this wtf moment, she just went full hockey mom from pride. She's normally the grounded one. :-)
That's awesome....:-)
[Reply]
Ahbroody 01:58 PM 04-08-2011
How can you post that and not say what you got?
Talk about a tease. Do yourself a favor and have them radiused and given a forward profile. Micah is so fast and has a great stride and I swear this was a contributing factor. Kids need it more then adults to help prevent bad habits.

I keep looking at these for Micah
http://www.totalhockey.com/Product.a...6528&div_id=11

But I know his Graf 370s fit him awesome, he loves the color scheme and fit and it's kind of cool being the only kid with those skates in the area. Add in the fact that they are the best built skate for youth I have ever touched and its tough not to stick with them. Was playing with the adult 370s the other day and they are pretty much the same damn thing.

http://www.brunoshockeyshop.com/prod...supra-370-tyke
With lime green laces :-) his signature touch
[Reply]
E.J. 03:29 PM 04-08-2011
Yea, I didn't even mean to do that.... In fact, I was going to post a picture...

I assumed we would order these....
http://www.totalhockey.com/Product.a...5862&div_id=11

But ended up with the One 60's, which is what they had in stock, in her size. IMO they are meh... But the Little One wanted them and price wise, I figured that even if she grows out of them by the start of the season, we're good. http://www.totalhockey.com/Product.a...4186&div_id=11

I didn't know they made the Crazy Lights in YTH. When I picked up the Little Man's G5's, there was a guy at the shop who was all over those, saying he thought they were the best skate out there(they were just hitting the shelf at the time, if I remember correctly).
[Reply]
E.J. 03:34 PM 04-08-2011
Oh...and just off the ice. Decided that we'd kill a little time at free skate.... A little exercise before I go fire up a cigar and make myself a drink!
[Reply]
Ahbroody 05:14 PM 04-08-2011
Wow well if she can wear Bauer stay away from the ccm U+. Even in kids sizes it is more like the old tacks. Wide, deep, low to no arch. High volume boot. Exact opposite of Bauer. Micah can't even get his foot into a Bauer usually and lacing them doesn't happen. Between the arch and shallower depth his foot cramps at the bottom and goes numb on the top from lace bite.

I would definitely recommend radius and profile Bauer's are very neutral. I can't wear them, but have skated in them a few times and felt like I was going to fall backwards.

Side note I thought my G35s in wide were comfortable until I tried on a pair of 709s. Ooooooo baby. Me and my hobit feet were in heaven. Definitely my next boot. Of course its their biggest boot and apparently it was a wide also. May want to have Jackson try them out. Felt like sneakers no joke. Definitely not the lightest boot, but all I do is help coach now so what do I care.
[Reply]
E.J. 05:21 PM 04-08-2011
Originally Posted by Ahbroody:
Wow well if she can wear Bauer stay away from the ccm U+. Even in kids sizes it is more like the old tacks. Wide, deep, low to no arch. High volume boot. Exact opposite of Bauer. Micah can't even get his foot into a Bauer usually and lacing them doesn't happen. Between the arch and shallower depth his foot cramps at the bottom and goes numb on the top from lace bite.

I would definitely recommend radius and profile Bauer's are very neutral. I can't wear them, but have skated in them a few times and felt like I was going to fall backwards.

Side note I thought my G35s in wide were comfortable until I tried on a pair of 709s. Ooooooo baby. Me and my hobit feet were in heaven. Definitely my next boot. Of course its their biggest boot and apparently it was a wide also. May want to have Jackson try them out. Felt like sneakers no joke. Definitely not the lightest boot, but all I do is help coach now so what do I care.
We always get his G5's wide sized and he seems to be good as gold....

Ab's was compaining about the side of the boot on her L foot when we got off the ice today, though I am hoping that a few more times on the ice will push that out a bit....

They both have my feet.... Which are unfortunatly VERY long and VERY WIDE. My old 12E 1052 Tacks still cramp the sides of my feet a bit...:-)
[Reply]
E.J. 06:11 PM 04-17-2011
Last day of Start Smart III. I was off to dog day with friends, but wanted to watch them scrimmage. They kept doing drills, so I finally got up to leave(mom was staying), but as I was leaving the rink, they split up and started. It took about 8 seconds for her to take the face off, skate down and put the puck in the net..... That was enough for me, I was off to smoke a H.Up#2.....
[Reply]
ahc4353 07:04 PM 04-17-2011
Keep the pics of the little ones coming!! It's awesome to follow along as they grow!
[Reply]
Ahbroody 07:05 PM 04-17-2011
Nice EJ!
micah got one at the hawks practice he got tripped infront of the net hes on the ice when a kid shoots puck off the stick, up and in.
Tomorrow is his last minimite house game. Going to get a picture of him screening the goalie.
[Reply]
Eleven 06:22 AM 04-18-2011
Love those pictures! Reminds me of the good ol days.

My kid went to USA Hockey Mid-Am tryouts in Columbus this weekend, my boy is an average size '98 but my goodness they grow them big in other areas. Kids from Cleveland and Pittsburgh were there too. There were '98 boys as tall as me.
[Reply]
Ahbroody 01:32 AM 04-19-2011
So proud of the little man. His team is down a goal with a minute left. He gets moved up so he can skate the last shift. Right before the change I tell him I need him to skate as fast as he can and get a goal. He and his buddy come of the bench like two kids possesed. His buddy gets a shot through to the net he crashes getting the his buddies rebound his first shot is blocked he gets his own rebound and beats the goalie. 20 seconds left. they get the tie. He was jacked up after the goal as was his buddy. Last game of the season.

From the other day

Earlier in the game tonight crashing the net like usual.
[Reply]
E.J. 08:33 AM 04-19-2011
EXCELLENT!!! Tell Micah GREAT JOB!
[Reply]
Ahbroody 10:15 AM 04-19-2011
So pissed my wife let me take her slr. I had the settings all wrong so almost all the pics came out bad. Had some good ones to. Stupid autofocus thingy. Apparently I hit a button and screwed it all up. Forgot to mention. Yesterday hes skating up ice and one of the older boys comes over and says something to him. He didnt like what was said and puts his shoulder into the kid and gives him a good shot knocking the kid of balance. Too much NHL network. :-)

On sunday at the Hawks skate was talking to a dad who was an assistant coach for another mite travel team in the area called the blackstars. They were restarted last year and beat everyone in the area but the Hawks. We got to talking about Micah. The Stars have a development program like the Hawks sunday skate. Micah will be trying it out this Thursday. :-).

Kind of lame, but the boy got his first award the other day voted on by the parents.
There were two awards given MVP and Most improved player. He was given MIP. I think it was lame. Basically the other boy got MVP because he scored more. The parents wanted Micah to get an award so they gave him MIP. The kid scored a hat trick in the first game so not to sure how he improved. It was cool he got recognized though.

[Reply]
Gophernut 10:27 AM 04-19-2011
Very cool to be recoginzed! Congrats to Micah!
[Reply]
E.J. 10:29 AM 04-19-2011
Nice hardwear!
[Reply]
Ahbroody 11:03 AM 04-21-2011
Pretty sure you are not supposed to wear out the blades before the kid out grows the skate.

Toe is getting to small and seems finding new holders will be near impossible. Didnt want to buy new boots yet as he still has a few months left in these and I am a stickler for skating in proper sized skates. Dont want to buy another pair for a few months. Given all the skating he is doing this summer got to do something.

He has a mite clinic skate with a different team tonight. Was told I have a few more sharpenings and its already an issue as is.
Got an email in to graf and Brunos Hockey Shop to see if they can source me a new pair of holders. If anyone has any ideas lmk.
[Reply]
J0eybb 11:14 AM 04-21-2011
EJ, I showed my 4 year, about to be 5 old daughter, your pics in the other thread. I asked her what she wanted to do, and she said softball, because she was wearing pink. LoL....
[Reply]
E.J. 07:37 AM 04-22-2011
Holy smokes Mike, are you sharpening after every skate...:-)

Originally Posted by J0eybb:
EJ, I showed my 4 year, about to be 5 old daughter, your pics in the other thread. I asked her what she wanted to do, and she said softball, because she was wearing pink. LoL....
Nice!
[Reply]
Eleven 09:31 AM 04-22-2011
Originally Posted by E.J.:
Holy smokes Mike, are you sharpening after every skate...:-)
I was gonna ask that as well.

I can't see how skates for such a small kid could be ground down like that, except for over-sharpening. You would think he would outgrow the skates faster than he would need them sharpened :-)

There is a kid on my son's team, who thinks his skates need sharpened after every time on the ice. They go through a couple sets of blades a season. On the other hand, my son got his skates last October, and he has only had them sharpened about 4 or 5 times, IIRC.
[Reply]
ahc4353 10:08 AM 04-22-2011
Hell Mike Grafs won't even be broken in by the time he out grows um! :-)

Mitch wore Grafs for years. I tried to get him into a lighter skate for years but what did I know. Then one day he says, " I gotta get a lighter skate". Who would of thought. Anyway get him out of those boat anchors and into something that will let him really show you how fast he is.

Al used Bauer 4000 series for years. Light, comfy and wore like iron.

Just a thought by a semi-retired hockey dad.
[Reply]
Page 17 of 60
« First < 7151617 181927 > Last »
Up