Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Page 39 of 99
« First < 29373839 40414989 > Last »
General Discussion>Wristwatch collectors out there?
markem 02:00 PM 03-01-2011
Originally Posted by MurphysLaw:
I have calibrated it a few times, not sure if I'm too close to sea level or what the deal is. Sometimes its right on, others it'll show me as 100ft above sea level
Altimeters are affected by atmospheric pressure. You need to recalibrate it any time the barometer moves much, etc. 100 feet is not much for an altimeter to be off. You need to have a solid place of known elevation for calibration within relatively short range of where you want the altimeter to read properly. You don't just set-and-forget an altimeter.
[Reply]
mosesbotbol 05:15 AM 03-02-2011
Originally Posted by markem:
Altimeters are affected by atmospheric pressure. You need to recalibrate it any time the barometer moves much, etc. 100 feet is not much for an altimeter to be off. You need to have a solid place of known elevation for calibration within relatively short range of where you want the altimeter to read properly. You don't just set-and-forget an altimeter.
:-)

Do you know of a certified elevation near your house. I use to have a bike computer with altimeter built in. I found the "official elevation" of my driveway and would reset the altimeter each ride if it was off.
[Reply]
MurphysLaw 06:42 AM 03-02-2011
I use the property report for my house that lists elevation as a close enough guide. Seems like my old casio ABC is just a little more consistent than the Tissot, but I'm in South florida, so there arent any real changes in elevation anyway unless I'm driving on an overpass :-)
[Reply]
mosesbotbol 07:09 AM 03-02-2011
I use the property report for my house that lists elevation as a close enough guide. Seems like my old casio ABC is just a little more consistent than the Tissot, but I'm in South florida, so there arent any real changes in elevation anyway unless I'm driving on an overpass :-)
I bet barometric pressure must change a lot in S. FL
[Reply]
markem 08:03 AM 03-02-2011
Originally Posted by mosesbotbol:

Do you know of a certified elevation near your house. I use to have a bike computer with altimeter built in. I found the "official elevation" of my driveway and would reset the altimeter each ride if it was off.
yes, the official elevation marker for my subdivision is about 1 block from me.
[Reply]
ade06 08:49 AM 03-02-2011
Originally Posted by markem:
yes, the official elevation marker for my subdivision is about 1 block from me.
Just curious, what do you all do with all of this information?
[Reply]
mosesbotbol 09:34 AM 03-02-2011
Originally Posted by ade06:
Just curious, what do you all do with all of this information?
If you set the altimeter, you can calculate current elevation or feet climbed within a timeframe.
[Reply]
markem 10:46 AM 03-02-2011
Originally Posted by mosesbotbol:
If you set the altimeter, you can calculate current elevation or feet climbed within a timeframe.
If you are just doing a bike ride or similar day activity, you don't need to set it. Just note the start "elevation" and all the other waypoints. The errors will cancel. If, however, you want to measure vs something like a topographic map, you need to set so that you have reasonable confidence in your mapping to the set reference that is the map.
[Reply]
s15driftking 06:53 PM 03-02-2011
finally took a couple snaps of the new whip:

I never wore my black navitimer. It sat in its case for over 6 months without being worn....so i traded it for this white one. I've already begun wearing it. It wears much larger than the black face. obviously.

[Reply]
larryinlc 07:43 PM 03-02-2011
I just bought this one because it was different. That, and I'm addicted to watches.:-)

[Reply]
s15driftking 07:58 PM 03-02-2011
^^^ loving the band, also loving the size/finish of the numerals!!!
[Reply]
marge796 08:11 PM 03-02-2011
I just bought my first luxury watch. It's an Omega Seamaster, I can't wait to get it!

Chris.....
[Reply]
jsnake 08:35 PM 03-02-2011
For some reason I just started getting into watches. I can't throw any serious cash down and if I could I probably wouldn't anyways. I just bought a solid black Invicta Sea Spider Special Edition and a black and gold Invicta Corduba Collection. I want to get a different brand next. Going for a solid gold or solid silver (in color not material) next.
[Reply]
mosesbotbol 05:09 AM 03-03-2011
Originally Posted by s15driftking:
^^^ loving the band, also loving the size/finish of the numerals!!!
Not to mention the crown at 12:00.

What do those two small hands do and do they jump back?

27 jewel automatic movement too!
[Reply]
MurphysLaw 06:10 AM 03-03-2011
S15, love the Navi in white, I'll have to try to get some better pics of mine, I have the blue face with brown leather strap.

Jsnake, Invictas are where watch collecting started for me, welcome to the top of yet another slippery slope...
[Reply]
jsnake 06:36 AM 03-03-2011
S15, love the Navi in white, I'll have to try to get some better pics of mine, I have the blue face with brown leather strap.

Jsnake, Invictas are where watch collecting started for me, welcome to the top of yet another slippery slope...
Thank you and I am doomed! Bought 2 watches in 2 months. Just got that second one yesterday actually.

What brands should I look at next? I want to stay in the $200 or $300 range and I really want a skeleton watch. There are many on the internet that look great but reading reviews the quality seems to stink. I would love a Breitling but it is out of my price range.
[Reply]
s15driftking 07:00 AM 03-03-2011
you have a blue faced navi world? TRADE PLEASE!!!
[Reply]
mosesbotbol 07:15 AM 03-03-2011
Originally Posted by jsnake:
What brands should I look at next? I want to stay in the $200 or $300 range and I really want a skeleton watch. There are many on the internet that look great but reading reviews the quality seems to stink. I would love a Breitling but it is out of my price range.
There are several Chinese made skeleton watches that are nice for the money.
[Reply]
JaKaacH 07:44 AM 03-03-2011
Originally Posted by jsnake:
Thank you and I am doomed! Bought 2 watches in 2 months. Just got that second one yesterday actually.

Look at the Stuhrling. I like mine.
Swiss made I think...
http://www.amazon.com/Stuhrling-Orig.../dp/B001GPOMU2
[Reply]
jsnake 08:24 AM 03-03-2011
Originally Posted by JaKaacH:
Look at the Stuhrling. I like mine.
Swiss made I think...
http://www.amazon.com/Stuhrling-Orig.../dp/B001GPOMU2
Thanks for the link. Just what I was looking for. I might actually grab this exact one if my wife doesn't kill me first.
[Reply]
Page 39 of 99
« First < 29373839 40414989 > Last »
Up