Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Page 1 of 2
1 2 >
Wine, Beer, and Spirits>Porters
dwoodward 02:24 AM 07-18-2010
I was surprised tonight at the liquor store. As a beer lover, and while trying to figure out which 6 pack of beer to pick up, I noticed in the top corner a beer I had not seen before. Michelob Porter.

I have never had a porter beer before, and was very surprised by the delicious taste that hit my palate. I tasted hints of nuts, caramel, chocolate, and espresso in every sip.

Before I realized it the 6 pack was gone, and I was at a loss... :-)

So I went back to the liquor store and picked up another 6 pack just to be sure. I am almost done with the 2nd 6 pack and love this new sensation in my mouth. What is this Porter that I have been missing out on?

What is your favorite "Porter" style beer?
[Reply]
icehog3 08:07 AM 07-18-2010
Anchor Porter
Plain Porter (available only in Ireland)
Black Boss Porter
Founders Porter
[Reply]
BeerAdvocate 08:42 AM 07-18-2010
Fullers London Porter is my favorite. Rich, dark, and creamy!!
[Reply]
Superbad 09:07 AM 07-18-2010
Maui brewing Coconut Porter. Just drank my last one the other day :-)
[Reply]
Darrell 09:09 AM 07-18-2010
Not Michelob. :-)

Rogue XS Imperial Porter
Rogue Mocha Porter
[Reply]
ChicagoWhiteSox 10:34 AM 07-18-2010
Originally Posted by icehog3:
Anchor Porter
Plain Porter (available only in Ireland)
Black Boss Porter
Founders Porter
I'm with Tom and the Founders Porter. It's a stellar porter. Also, Dark Horse Reserve Special Black is outstanding.:-)
[Reply]
icehog3 01:11 PM 07-18-2010
Originally Posted by ChicagoWhiteSox:
I'm with Tom and the Founders Porter. It's a stellar porter. Also, Dark Horse Reserve Special Black is outstanding.:-)
I will have to give the Dark Horse a try, Nate. :-)
[Reply]
colinb913 01:25 PM 07-18-2010
Just saw these at the grocery, I was like where did I hear about this before??..
Posted via Mobile Device
[Reply]
BlackDog 01:34 PM 07-18-2010
My favorite 3 porters are Founders Porter, Deschutes Black Butte, and Great Lakes Edmund Fitzgerald. Not sure where you're located in SD, but if you're in the SFalls area it may be worth a drive over to MN. All 3 are available here.
[Reply]
icehog3 02:04 PM 07-18-2010
Originally Posted by BlackDog:
My favorite 3 porters are Founders Porter, Deschutes Black Butte, and Great Lakes Edmund Fitzgerald. Not sure where you're located in SD, but if you're in the SFalls area it may be worth a drive over to MN. All 3 are available here.
Warren, is the Black Butte an organic Porter?
[Reply]
hornitosmonster 03:14 PM 07-18-2010
I enjoy Rogue Mocha Porter
[Reply]
BlackDog 05:13 PM 07-18-2010
Tom, it does not appear to be organic. But, it is highly tastey. Here is a link to the Black Butte page on their website.

http://www.deschutesbrewery.com/brew...r/default.aspx
[Reply]
awsmith4 06:08 PM 07-18-2010
Some porters that make my rotation quite often:

Bell's
Founder's
Duck Rabbit
[Reply]
VirtualSmitty 07:39 PM 07-18-2010
Smuttynose Robust porter, Anchor Steam Porter, and Sinebrychoff Porter are probably my three favs.
[Reply]
Jbailey 09:22 PM 07-18-2010
I will add:
Central Waters Mudpuppy Porter
Ale Asylum Contorter Porter
Lake Louie Tommy's Porter
Three Floyds Topless Wytch
[Reply]
RichardW 09:23 PM 07-18-2010
Originally Posted by BlackDog:
Black Butte :-)
[Reply]
kaisersozei 09:23 AM 07-20-2010
Some good ones listed here. The two that really turned me on to this style years ago were Anchor Porter and Abita Turbodog (although not technically a porter, it's a great beer with a similar profile especially if you like the chocolate/nutty/espresso.)
[Reply]
nomadicwookie 09:33 AM 07-20-2010
I've tried so many I've loved & never remember the names. But one in particular I really enjoy is a local microbrew here in Richmond, VA. Legend Porter.
[Reply]
scoot 11:35 AM 07-20-2010
Sam Smith Taddy Porter, Yards General Washington Tavern Porter, and the Yuengling Porter ain't too bad either.
[Reply]
76GTFan 12:11 PM 07-20-2010
Black Butte is a hard to come by porter. It is from Eugene Oregon. When I went to visit my friend in school, it was on tap everywhere. Wonderful stuff. Trader Joe's say they carry it, but the one in GA does not. I am still on the look out.:-)

And yes I believe it is organic.
[Reply]
Page 1 of 2
1 2 >
Up