Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Page 1 of 2
1 2 >
All Cigar Discussion>coolidor plastic smell
strider 09:28 PM 01-01-2010
Ok, I'm trying to prepare a new Igloo cooler to function as my coolidor. I'm having issues removing the plastic smell. I left it open for a few days, soaked it overnight in mild bleach solution, left open again, closed with backing soda, and have just now wiped down with alcohol. not sure after the alcohol treatment (just did that) but I was still smelling plastic. Is this a issue and if so what can I do?
Thanks
-John
[Reply]
Jbailey 09:38 PM 01-01-2010
I washed my coolers out with distilled water and dish soap and let them sit open over night. The next day I would take just distilled water with a cloth over it again and let it sit again over night. By day three the smell is gone.
[Reply]
Darrell 09:45 PM 01-01-2010
Baking soda and hot water works well. Usually the first time you use it.
[Reply]
MedicCook 09:46 PM 01-01-2010
You can also put some empty cigar boxes in it for a couple days.
[Reply]
jaycarla 09:47 PM 01-01-2010
Originally Posted by Jbailey:
I washed my coolers out with distilled water and dish soap and let them sit open over night. The next day I would take just distilled water with a cloth over it again and let it sit again over night. By day three the smell is gone.
:-)
[Reply]
bobarian 09:48 PM 01-01-2010
Originally Posted by Darrell:
:-) I am not sure where you got the idea that chemicals like bleach and alcohol would be a good idea.
[Reply]
strider 10:10 PM 01-01-2010
Got the bleach from here. http://www.cigarpass.com/index.php/b...-coolidor.html
Can't remember where I picked up the alcohol. But either I think will off-gas faster then the plastic. I'll try a solutino of backing soda and water. Can only smell it when it's been shut over night then opened.
[Reply]
Virginia Gent 06:27 AM 01-02-2010
When I set up my coolidor I washed it first in a bleach solution, rinsed very well and then left it outside, open, to sun dry all day. This got rid of all but the tiniest plastic odor. After bringing it in that night I washed with a clean washcloth and a baking soda solution followed by a rinse. Left it open to dry overnight and had no plastic odor the next day. I think being open in the sun had almost as much effect as the bleach.
[Reply]
RevSmoke 07:09 AM 01-02-2010
Plastics absorb smell longer than give it off. A couple pieces of spanish cedar and some humidifying device will make is right.
[Reply]
tobii3 08:05 AM 01-02-2010
Originally Posted by MedicCook:
You can also put some empty cigar boxes in it for a couple days.
Originally Posted by RevSmoke:
Plastics absorb smell longer than give it off. A couple pieces of spanish cedar and some humidifying device will make is right.

[Reply]
T.G 08:41 AM 01-02-2010
Originally Posted by bobarian:
:-) I am not sure where you got the idea that chemicals like bleach and alcohol would be a good idea.
Originally Posted by strider:
Got the bleach from here. http://www.cigarpass.com/index.php/b...-coolidor.html
Can't remember where I picked up the alcohol. But either I think will off-gas faster then the plastic. I'll try a solutino of backing soda and water. Can only smell it when it's been shut over night then opened.
Bob, while the quantities of bleach recommended vary, I've seen the bleaching advice repeated in a number of places, including a few online cigar vendors. Seems it's another one of those dubious "cigar things" that gets parroted often.
[Reply]
macpappy 08:47 AM 01-02-2010
The baking soda solution worked for me. That and leaving it sit outside on a nice day with the lid open for about 4 hours.

Now it just smells like cigars.
[Reply]
hotreds 08:55 AM 01-02-2010
Originally Posted by RevSmoke:
Good advice!
[Reply]
looking for know 10:23 AM 01-02-2010
[Reply]
Skywalker 10:31 AM 01-02-2010
I did nothing with mine except fill it with cigar boxes full of cigars!!! I've never detected a plastic odor!!! I also have a few sheets of Spanish cedar in mine! The more wood and cigars the better!!!:-)
[Reply]
68TriShield 10:41 AM 01-02-2010
Add Cedar like others have said.In a short time it will have a aroma like a Cedar cabinet when you open it.
[Reply]
CasaDooley 11:36 AM 01-02-2010
:-)Yep!:-)
[Reply]
roughrider 02:58 PM 01-02-2010
A simple wipe down with a damp towel (distilled water) a few times, letting it dry, and then lining it with cedar sheets did the trick for me.
[Reply]
Bubba - NJ 09:14 PM 01-02-2010
There is just something about the rays from the sun . It's all I did with any of my coolers .
[Reply]
RevSmoke 02:11 PM 01-03-2010
By the way, cigars come in Spanish Cedar boxes - the cigars won't taste like plastic.
[Reply]
Page 1 of 2
1 2 >
Up