Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
All Cigar Discussion>Tasting all the same
Ciro 02:05 PM 05-07-2012
Over the weekend, while out at Cigarfest, I smoked four cigars on Friday and five on Saturday. Yes, yes I know only four and five cigars, but on average I only smoke about one to two a week.

What I did notice was by the time I had my third, fourth, and fifth, cigar I could no longer taste the differences between the cigars.

On Friday I smoked a Cohiba (aound 10:00AM), Liga Privada Dirty Rat (around 2:30PM), Liga Privada Under Crown (around 6:00PM), and a San Latano Oval
(around 9:00PM). I had no problems with the Cohiba and Dirty Rat, but by the time I got to the Under Crown and San Latano I could no longer tell any differences.

I’ve had these cigars other times and remember what notes I should be experiencing, but I couldn’t. The same issues were noted on Saturday by the time I reached my third cigar. Any one else experience this? Could be a newbie thing.

Thanks
[Reply]
kelmac07 02:07 PM 05-07-2012
Could be that your just not used to smoking that many sticks at a time...and your palate was fried. It happens. :-)
[Reply]
ChicagoWhiteSox 02:08 PM 05-07-2012
Not a newb thing really, more of a full bodied NC thing. Your palate can only take so much.
[Reply]
Ogre 02:16 PM 05-07-2012
When you smoke that much you have to plan it out. Smoke the more mild cigar first and work your way up. Also eating something like chocolate between cigars helps the palate.
[Reply]
BC-Axeman 02:17 PM 05-07-2012
I've smoked a great cigar first and had every one after that, ones I usually like, taste bad. Never all the same. I take that back. Quoting a review I read once, "Tasted like a cigar".
[Reply]
Blak Smyth 02:22 PM 05-07-2012
I had the same thing happen this weekend at the fest, I smoked a few CCs and then smoked a Tat Black PL. The Tat fried my palate! I smoked one or two more but they were not the same.
[Reply]
cobra03 02:42 PM 05-07-2012
Like these guys have said its not uncommon especially if you smoking cigars on the stronger side like the ones you've mentioned. Ive tried smoking lighter bodied cigars first then moving to stonger smokes it helps alot but still fries my palate anyway.
[Reply]
saigon68 02:49 PM 05-07-2012
Overload. Happens. Slow down, it's not quantity but quality. Smoke when you feel like it and not because it's just readily available. Slow & savor usually produces desired results.
[Reply]
neoflex 02:51 PM 05-07-2012
Been there done that when on a binge. A little over a month ago I went to Myrtle with a buddy and we smoked all weekend from the time we left Charlotte to head down there. After smoking a good amount Friday evening by the time late Saturday afternoon came around I have to be honest and say my palette was shot. Although against my better judgement late Saturday night I did decide to smoke an Anarchy as my last stick for the weekend and even on a spent palette that stick shined through. Too bad they're sold out now.:-) When it came time to drive home on Sunday we both didn't even think about lighting up a stick for the ride home as we both suffering from Cigar overdoses.:-) Needless to say I was back on the horse by Wednesday and he was back on it Monday.(Day after) He's a true junkie!
[Reply]
G G 03:04 PM 05-07-2012
I have also had that happen at herfs. I don't usually smoke but 1 or 2 a week.
[Reply]
jjirons69 06:05 PM 05-07-2012
Same thing with beer in college. Drink a few "good" ones then start pouring down the Schaefer, Keystone Light, or Milwaukee's Best when your tongue got numb. This was nearly 25 years ago. Too late in life to drink chitty beers.

Those Nicaraguan full bodied smokes decimate your taste buds. Smoke enough of them and you can taste them the following afternoon.
[Reply]
jdakine 06:14 PM 05-07-2012
Have done the same, learned not to mix NC to Cuban if possible.
[Reply]
Up