Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Page 2 of 2
< 12
All Cigar Discussion>coolidor plastic smell
strider 10:25 PM 01-03-2010
I tried the baking soda tonight. Letting it dry overnight. Then gonna close for a day and see if smell is back when reopen. If so, just gonna try dropping my box in there and 'cover it up' I guess.

Rev, I keep reading how much cigars absorb flavors. That's why I'm concerned about getting rid of it. Your saying it's not important?
-John
[Reply]
Rabidsquirrel 03:07 PM 01-04-2010
I did nothing with it, and all is fine.
[Reply]
bobarian 03:48 PM 01-04-2010
Originally Posted by strider:
I tried the baking soda tonight. Letting it dry overnight. Then gonna close for a day and see if smell is back when reopen. If so, just gonna try dropping my box in there and 'cover it up' I guess.

Rev, I keep reading how much cigars absorb flavors. That's why I'm concerned about getting rid of it. Your saying it's not important?
-John
I have not heard of the plastic smell ever affecting the taste, but some people are more sensitive to smells and flavors than others. A couple of empty boxes should help as long as they arent the recent Drac or Boris boxes which were not finished curing before they were released. :-)
[Reply]
Apexkingjusto 04:37 AM 05-01-2012
Too do something or not is the quetion. I put my cigars in my new cooler last thursday. It does had the slight plastic smell which im ok with as long as it doesnt effect the cigars. Oh well ifs i have time i may try the baking soda and distilled water and sun.
[Reply]
oooo35980 09:34 AM 05-01-2012
All the cigars in my coolidor are in the box still. If the faint plastic smell can get through cedar boxes and corrupt my cigars I guess I'm in trouble, but right now the whole thing just smells like Cedar, so I think not. Also the cooler smells like plastic because it is plastic. It seems like the plastic smell would just keep coming back as long as you leave the cooler empty and the only way to get rid of it completely would be to let the plastic absorb some other smell. I could be way off though that just makes sense to me.

Edit: Holy resurrected thread!
[Reply]
whodeeni 12:30 PM 05-01-2012
All you need to do is grab some newspaper, ball it up, let it sit for a day.
Throw it away and fill it up again w/ balled up newspaper. The carbon in
the newspaper absorbs the scent. (Maybe its not carbon, but you get my drift!):-)
[Reply]
SvilleKid 12:51 PM 05-01-2012
Originally Posted by Bubba - NJ:
There is just something about the rays from the sun . It's all I did with any of my coolers .
This worked wit all my coolers (6).
[Reply]
Nathan 06:05 PM 05-08-2012
I wiped it out and left the door open for a few days, smell came back quick for me if I had nothing in it. After filling it with empty cigar boxes it quickly started smelling like a humidor though.
[Reply]
Skywalker 09:32 PM 05-08-2012
Mine sat empty for awhile. I cleaned with rubbing alcohol and let air out. Its working great now.:-)
[Reply]
kuzi16 07:14 AM 05-09-2012
Originally Posted by whodeeni:
All you need to do is grab some newspaper, ball it up, let it sit for a day.
Throw it away and fill it up again w/ balled up newspaper. The carbon in
the newspaper absorbs the scent. (Maybe its not carbon, but you get my drift!):-)
its just that the paper itself is so absorbent that it will soak up all the smells too. Newspaper is pretty amazing stuff actually.

ive used this trick to take the smell out of old shoes, new coolers, fabrick lunch boxes that stink... it works well.
[Reply]
OLS 07:40 AM 05-09-2012
Originally Posted by bobarian:
:-) I am not sure where you got the idea that chemicals like bleach and alcohol would be a good idea.
hahahahahaha, yup.

I have found the putting it outside and propping the lid open for a day or so works.
Another thing is a small tub or bucket of water inside....It works with painted rooms.
[Reply]
lilninjabuddy 09:59 AM 05-09-2012
I've been using a bit of vinegar when I wash out our compost container, and it's done a great job of eliminating any odor. I've also used it to clean up when our cat went nuts after my son was born in 2008. Worked like a charm.

So I tried it on a cooler.

I wiped it down with hot water and a spash of distilled white vinegar. Did that, wiped it with a damp cloth, dried it, and the smell was completely gone.

I've done that for two different coolers, and it worked both times.
[Reply]
Page 2 of 2
< 12
Up