Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Page 4 of 6
« First < 234 56 >
All Cigar Discussion>Opening a Cigar Lounge
mosesbotbol 02:20 PM 04-22-2015
Originally Posted by mncigarguy:
This would be a problem, cigarette drinkers will crowd out your intentions, I assume. I have never seen anyone smoke a cigarette at a cigar B&M before, maybe I just never noticed
I'd only worry or address it when it comes to that point. How many cigar lounges suffer from having too many customers?
[Reply]
mncigarguy 06:55 PM 04-22-2015
Should have said, Congrats to you, rather than chiming in with hogwash first, sorry!
Wish you the best!
[Reply]
mncigarguy 06:59 PM 04-22-2015
Originally Posted by mosesbotbol:
I'd only worry or address it when it comes to that point. How many cigar lounges suffer from having too many customers?
I know a few that could use less- ha! Good looking Sable in your avatar, I had a tri-color Corgi, little guy blew out both acl's, expensive dogs! Carried him for weeks up and down stairs while recovering, one acl at a time. Must be why the Queen owns them.
[Reply]
JohnRogers 03:52 PM 05-22-2015
As some of you may know the lease negotiations fell apart a few months ago. I have since found another location.

Lease is signed.

HVAC/ventilation system is being installed next week.

The walk-in humidor has been ordered and should be ready in about five weeks.

So all this is finally feeling real. Thanks for all the advice and opinion.
[Reply]
CigarNut 06:09 PM 05-22-2015
Congratulations!
[Reply]
badbriar 09:50 AM 05-23-2015
A consideration to think about, and a good problem to have would be having too many customers. I'm talking about more bodies than available seats.
One great local Orlando shop is Ol Times. On the weekends, you need to get there before 2 in the afternoon to get a seat. They are very popular and are seriously short on seating. Great, large cigar selection with killer prices, just not enough seating. I've seen customers come in, look at no available seats and leave. Lost sales. Most people who go in and nest, end up having two or three cigars and buy some to take home. That's $30 to $100 sales per chair for most regulars.
Another issue is younger cigar or pipe enthusiasts who nest and play chess or cards and only have one stick, but take up a coveted leather chair for hours. Again, lost sales.
Here's an idea for you... Have a domino table in your shop. At Ol Times, dominos age very popular and keep customers there for a long while and buying more cigars!
BTW Cigarettes are highly discouraged by the regulars. Ruins a good cigar aroma.
[Reply]
E.J. 10:40 AM 05-23-2015
Congratulations!
[Reply]
cmitch 11:16 AM 05-23-2015
Badbriar hit it on the head. Lack of available seating does cause some to leave. Our new local B&M just opened in October and already has growing pains. It was a full house last night and fortunately we have an outdoor covered patio that the owner is preparing to install roll up garage doors all around along with gas fire pits. We have a domino table and it gets used often. You can visit their website for their 2 locations: cigarroom.net and our local's facebook page
https://www.facebook.com/CigarRoomShoals?ref=ts&fref=ts
[Reply]
JohnRogers 11:34 AM 05-23-2015
Funny that we haven’t even opened yet and yes we are concerned about needing more space. Our first purposed location was almost too big. Our current location is almost too small. The upside is starting off less expensive, training my self to give excellent customer service with a number I can handle. Of course we are concerned with the notion of a reputation for not having available seating.

Fortunately I’m already talking about expanding into the space currently occupied by a business that doesn’t really fit in with the “boutique” hotel and has no lease.
[Reply]
mosesbotbol 03:25 PM 05-23-2015
You could charge hourly for the gaming.
[Reply]
Oshay 12:27 PM 06-09-2015
Originally Posted by Subvet642:
To expand upon the above: I smoke cigarettes too, and if I'm smoking a cigarette while walking into a B&M/Lounge and someone tells me to put it out, I will and then I'll walk out, never to return. I can accept an anti-cigarette stance from non-smokers, but I will not accept elitist hypocrisy from other tobacco users. It enrages me! The B&M/Lounge in my neighborhood sells cigarettes, head shop things and hookah supplies, too. He won't turn away paying customers. Business is business and hobbies don't pay the bills. :-)
:-)
[Reply]
Pat1075 01:24 PM 06-09-2015
Congratulations! I just opened a shop myself and couldn't be happier. Build the bigger humidor, they are difficult to expand later.
[Reply]
ColdCuts 01:55 PM 06-09-2015
Originally Posted by Subvet642:
I smoke cigarettes too, and if I'm smoking a cigarette while walking into a B&M/Lounge and someone tells me to put it out, I will and then I'll walk out, never to return. I can accept an anti-cigarette stance from non-smokers, but I will not accept elitist hypocrisy from other tobacco users. It enrages me!
I used to feel similarly. I was a pack-a-day cigarette smoker for fifteen years. My wife smokes cigarettes to this day. So I can sort of see why you'd be upset. But it's not necessarily elitist hypocrisy at work. The truth is, cigarette smoke does wreck the aroma of a cigar. You don't see it that way because you can't tell. I know. I'm speaking from experience here. It's evident to me now. It wasn't back when I smoked cigarettes. Looking back, I wish I'd left my cigarettes out of the B&Ms just out of consideration.
[Reply]
mosesbotbol 02:14 PM 06-09-2015
How about a more cigarette focused section of the lounge?
[Reply]
JohnRogers 09:57 PM 06-09-2015
Originally Posted by Pat1075:
Congratulations! I just opened a shop myself and couldn't be happier. Build the bigger humidor, they are difficult to expand later.
Good luck Patrick, I look forward to seeing more pictures!
[Reply]
JohnRogers 09:59 PM 06-09-2015
Originally Posted by mosesbotbol:
How about a more cigarette focused section of the lounge?
Moses, I just don't have the space. I also won't be carrying any cigarettes, just cigars and a small selection of pipe tobacco.
[Reply]
mosesbotbol 07:19 AM 06-10-2015
Originally Posted by JohnRogers:
Moses, I just don't have the space. I also won't be carrying any cigarettes, just cigars and a small selection of pipe tobacco.
That's fine, not selling cigarettes.

Charge a lighting fee for cigars or cigarettes brought into lounge that were not purchased there. Charge per cigarette the same fee as per cigar. This will deter cigarette smoking some or put more money into your pocket.
[Reply]
Subvet642 07:31 AM 06-10-2015
Originally Posted by ColdCuts:
I used to feel similarly. I was a pack-a-day cigarette smoker for fifteen years. My wife smokes cigarettes to this day. So I can sort of see why you'd be upset. But it's not necessarily elitist hypocrisy at work. The truth is, cigarette smoke does wreck the aroma of a cigar. You don't see it that way because you can't tell. I know. I'm speaking from experience here. It's evident to me now. It wasn't back when I smoked cigarettes. Looking back, I wish I'd left my cigarettes out of the B&Ms just out of consideration.
I don't suppose they can ruin the aroma of Acids or Backwoods Grape. :-)
[Reply]
JohnRogers 08:08 PM 06-16-2015
The exhaust fan is quieter than the HVAC system. I'm pleased with the pace of progress at the lounge.
[Reply]
JohnRogers 08:04 PM 07-04-2015
Progress on the space is going well. About 5 days behind schedule. Here are some pics of the humidor nearly complete at the factory.
Attached: space1.jpg (94.4 KB) humidor1.jpg (94.9 KB) humidor2.jpg (84.5 KB) humidor3.jpg (93.0 KB) 
[Reply]
Page 4 of 6
« First < 234 56 >
Up