Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Page 3 of 6
< 123 45 > Last »
All Cigar Discussion>Opening a Cigar Lounge
RWhisenand 11:35 AM 10-10-2014
Originally Posted by mosesbotbol:
Nothing will make your business more successful than having it frequented by attractive women. Nothing!
Preach It!
[Reply]
JohnRogers 07:05 PM 10-11-2014
Blugill, Mr. Grimes and I had some time to sit and burn a couple in the new space and ponder what will be. It is going to be great!

Thank you all for your thoughts and opinions on the subject.
[Reply]
JohnRogers 05:59 PM 12-11-2014
I realize a walk-in humidor is not just about size but I'd like to ask the assemblage here. How many boxes of cigars does a respectable walk-in humidor need to hold in your opinion?
[Reply]
mosesbotbol 06:15 PM 12-11-2014
Originally Posted by JohnRogers:
I realize a walk-in humidor is not just about size but I'd like to ask the assemblage here. How many boxes of cigars does a respectable walk-in humidor need to hold in your opinion?
Guessing about 400+
[Reply]
JohnRogers 09:34 AM 12-22-2014
Opinions please. So the humidor I can afford from the numbers in my budget holds about 135 boxes of cigars. Is that enough to start with in a community of 50,000?
[Reply]
WhiteMamba 10:04 AM 12-22-2014
I would say it's all about quality over quantity.:-)
[Reply]
JohnRogers 11:44 AM 12-22-2014
Originally Posted by WhiteMamba:
I would say it's all about quality over quantity.:-)
That is what I'd hope that a selection of quality sticks would over come humidor size. I can always expand my selection later. I can't open if I constantly blow my budget.

Hoping to sell my first cigar before January is over.
[Reply]
CigarNut 12:01 PM 12-22-2014
That is what I'd hope that a selection of quality sticks would over come humidor size. I can always expand my selection later. I can't open if I constantly blow my budget.

Hoping to sell my first cigar before January is over.
Very cool!
[Reply]
Flynnster 12:10 PM 12-22-2014
Also, you can keep just a small stock on the shelves in the humidor, and get a few coolers to keep your stock.

I've noticed a lot of places that keep all of their stock out in the walk in, and I really only need to see one box of what I'm looking for and if I want a whole box I can ask.
[Reply]
jhedrick83 12:14 PM 12-22-2014
Originally Posted by Flynnster:
Also, you can keep just a small stock on the shelves in the humidor, and get a few coolers to keep your stock.

I've noticed a lot of places that keep all of their stock out in the walk in, and I really only need to see one box of what I'm looking for and if I want a whole box I can ask.
+1. Congrats on opening soon. Can we see some pics inside?!
[Reply]
badbriar 03:50 PM 12-22-2014
Very subjective question. One of the nicest B&M's I've seen is Tampa Sweethearts and try do NOT have a walk in humidor. They probably only have 200-300 boxes. Their forte is customer service and great selection of the brands they carry. Service and good cigars will trump a huge number of mediocre boxes. My :-)
RR
[Reply]
WhiteMamba 06:03 PM 12-22-2014
Originally Posted by jhedrick83:
+1. Congrats on opening soon. Can we see some pics inside?!
:-)
[Reply]
mosesbotbol 04:28 AM 12-23-2014
Dunhill use to have a store in Boston with a small walk-in. They had about 200 boxes of cigars. It was the experience that made the trip worth it rather than any particular box they had on hand. Actually, they kept the walk-in a little too humid for my taste.

If you are not going to be the cigar shop that has everything as the experience, you have to think of what the experience is going to be like so a customer will be happy with the limited selection. I would have few brands, but good ones that are well represented.

Make the presentation, selection, interaction, sale, and post sale experience a real event so the consumer looks forward to whole thing. Have you been to been to www.hajenius.com in Amsterdam? Buy a cigar from them and you'll understand what I mean. I am sure there are other shops that make buying one cigar or a box a special event and that is what you need to achieve.

Volume is not where you'll business will excel at least initially.
[Reply]
JohnRogers 06:43 PM 04-21-2015
Things are progressing nicely on the lease. Build out should start soon. My walk in will hold about 135 boxes of cigars which about 80 more than anyone else in town.
[Reply]
AdamJoshua 07:15 PM 04-21-2015
Great to hear, John! Keep the updates coming and pics when available. :-)
[Reply]
Subvet642 09:55 PM 04-21-2015
Originally Posted by icehog3:
I am not sure I have see any "no cigarette smoking" signs in any on the B&M lounges in my area, John, but I can't remember seeing anyone smoking cigarettes there either.

Will you be allowed to sell alcohol in your lounge? You may be forfeiting some sales with an anti-cigarette policy if that's the case. If it is strictly a cigar lounge with soft drinks and coffee, then I wouldn't think it could hurt you at all.

P.S....Great success with the venture!
To expand upon the above: I smoke cigarettes too, and if I'm smoking a cigarette while walking into a B&M/Lounge and someone tells me to put it out, I will and then I'll walk out, never to return. I can accept an anti-cigarette stance from non-smokers, but I will not accept elitist hypocrisy from other tobacco users. It enrages me! The B&M/Lounge in my neighborhood sells cigarettes, head shop things and hookah supplies, too. He won't turn away paying customers. Business is business and hobbies don't pay the bills. :-)
[Reply]
mosesbotbol 09:45 AM 04-22-2015
Originally Posted by Subvet642:
To expand upon the above: I smoke cigarettes too, and if I'm smoking a cigarette while walking into a B&M/Lounge and someone tells me to put it out, I will and then I'll walk out, never to return. I can accept an anti-cigarette stance from non-smokers, but I will not accept elitist hypocrisy from other tobacco users. It enrages me! The B&M/Lounge in my neighborhood sells cigarettes, head shop things and hookah supplies, too. He won't turn away paying customers. Business is business and hobbies don't pay the bills. :-)
I don't smoke cigarettes, but agree totally with your sentiment.
[Reply]
CigarNut 10:47 AM 04-22-2015
Originally Posted by Subvet642:
Originally Posted by mosesbotbol:
I don't smoke cigarettes, but agree totally with your sentiment.
While I agree with the sentiment, it depends upon the state or local laws. Here in Oregon, it is not legal to smoke cigarettes in a cigar lounge (or any establishment licensed for cigar smoking). Cigarettes and pipes are considered by the state to be "chemically treated tobaccos"...
[Reply]
badbriar 11:09 AM 04-22-2015
I've only seen someone smoking a cigarette in a cigar shop on one occasion. IMHO, it ruins the atmosphere.
As for not selling alcohol, a favorite B & M here has free water & beers in the frige. It's customary to hit the tip jar when you take one and most customers are very good and generous!
[Reply]
mncigarguy 01:32 PM 04-22-2015
Originally Posted by bobarian:
Good luck on your endeavor. Do other bars in your area allow smoking? If so, then you pribably won't have to worry about cigarette smokers crowding out your target customers. You could require a cigar purchase or charge a table minimum if casual cigarette smokers become an issue. :-)
This would be a problem, cigarette drinkers will crowd out your intentions, I assume. I have never seen anyone smoke a cigarette at a cigar B&M before, maybe I just never noticed
[Reply]
Page 3 of 6
< 123 45 > Last »
Up