Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Page 2 of 6
< 12 34 > Last »
All Cigar Discussion>Opening a Cigar Lounge
JohnRogers 09:55 AM 10-06-2014
Thanks everyone for chiming in, this has been helpful.
Originally Posted by stevef2005:
Down here at the B&M I frequent in OKC they do allow cigarette smoking. They dont sell you Marlboros and Winstons but they sell natural cigarettes and loose leaf tobacco to roll your own...Long overdue for that OK herf. What better place than ur place!!
Steve what B&M do you frequent? I get down that OKC way quite often.

Originally Posted by mosesbotbol:
You should be thinking more on the lines of "how can I get everyone around smokers or not into my lounge?" Think of ways to broaden the appeal beyond than a place to smoke cigars.
Moses, the plan to broaden appeal which will work in my city, is the jazz aspect of the lounge. The BOTL and walk-in humidor will always be the number one focus but the place will also be the town's only dedicated jazz venue. Which is why the ventilation system is something I spend a lot time considering.

So next topic, what ventilation systems work or don't work at the B&M lounge you frequent?
[Reply]
czerbe 10:43 AM 10-06-2014
I saw good luck, and while I'm not a fan of cig. smoke, I think you will have a hard time with it. I say let it go and take the business.
[Reply]
jhedrick83 11:32 AM 10-06-2014
I was just getting on to make a ventilation post and saw you asked about it. My biggest gripe with my local B&Ms is that they don't have nearly enough ventilation. It's sufficient if there are just a couple guys in there smoking, but evenings and weekends, forget it. To be honest I avoid the local B&Ms when I want to relax and enjoy a smoke or catch a game. When it looks like Snoop Dogg's car inside and your eyes start to itch and burn, the appeal is gone. I'm far from afraid of a smoky environment but it seems like some of these places don't even try. That's probably my #1 concern when it comes to a lounge. #2 would be TVs and comfy chairs laid out in a way that it is easy to watch the TV if you so desire.

:-)
[Reply]
baust55 12:32 PM 10-06-2014
IN any bar/lounge ,B&M make sure the volume on music and tv is not loud so you can have a conversation and that goes for sports ... especially sports .

I always leave the min the volume is jacked up . I could care less about cigs.
[Reply]
Gabe215 01:01 PM 10-06-2014
Allow people to smoke cigarettes. The employee of the smoke shop by me smokes cigarettes at the register and never bothered anyone. Now acid cigars pissed everyone off in the lounge!
[Reply]
jjirons69 02:41 PM 10-06-2014
Way cool! Congrats!!! I also don't believe in turning away business. Serve salty pretzels and peanuts at the bar, too. A self-serve popcorn machine in the corner also makes for thirsty customers. Good ventilation is a MUST.
[Reply]
shilala 04:14 PM 10-06-2014
Originally Posted by stevef2005:
...but they sell natural cigarettes and loose leaf tobacco to roll your own.
That's just plain smart. Especially if they sell all the gear, too.
[Reply]
Gabe215 05:06 PM 10-06-2014
Oh and all that E cig and vapor stuff sells real well also! Should probably look into all that as well!
[Reply]
JohnRogers 08:05 PM 10-06-2014
Originally Posted by Gabe215:
Oh and all that E cig and vapor stuff sells real well also! Should probably look into all that as well!
I was planning on welcoming the E-Cig/Vapor folks.

Jamie, thanks for some of the salty snack suggestions. I didn't think about the pop-corn machine. :-)

More opinions on ventilation from your experience please.
[Reply]
stevef2005 09:24 PM 10-06-2014
Originally Posted by JohnRogers:
Steve what B&M do you frequent? I get down that OKC way quite often.
Tobacco Exchange off 63rd and May. Ill PM you some contact info for me.
[Reply]
stevef2005 09:25 PM 10-06-2014
Originally Posted by shilala:
That's just plain smart. Especially if they sell all the gear, too.
They do!! :-) :-)
[Reply]
JohnRogers 09:54 AM 10-07-2014
I'm going to get slightly off-topic for a moment. I have entered a business grant competition. A full service cigar lounge requires a significant investment to get started. Winning this grant competition will be a big help.

Originally Posted by :
How do I increase the odds of winning for my dream?
Get the word out! Use your social media networks, word of mouth marketing, and other creative marketing ideas to encourage others to vote for your business.
So if you have a Facebook account please consider voting daily through Oct 17th. Click the link below. You'll also get a better idea of what Denise and I are opening later this fall.
http://www.dreambigoklahoma.com/entr....aspx?entry=91

Thanks in advance! :-)
[Reply]
Dave128 10:11 AM 10-07-2014
Good luck with your new venture! :-)
[Reply]
mosesbotbol 07:16 AM 10-09-2014
Can you still smoke cigars in the bar at Mickey Mantle's? A lot of restaurants allow smoking inside. I use to go to some British pub chain, I forget its name...

There's enough tourists coming to OKC to make it "go to" place when visiting the city. For that, location is critical. People from out of town don't want to drive far and wide to go from dinner to cigar lounge.

I spent almost a year working OKC, Monday-Friday, flying home on the weekend. I have pretty good outsider view of the city and culture there.
[Reply]
cigarmarine 07:22 AM 10-09-2014
:-)the stinch of cigarette smoke cant out do the beautiful smell of a cigar
[Reply]
NCRadioMan 10:10 AM 10-09-2014
What do you mean by "dedicated jazz venue"?
[Reply]
RWhisenand 10:12 AM 10-09-2014
Just a quick little story about cigs at a cigar bar. At a nice cigar bar I rarely go to as it is not in my normal travel route, I did stop in to pick up a few stickes one afternoon. At the bar were two very nice looking women enjoying a glass of wine and each with a cigarette. Now I don't go to a cigar shop to pick up women, but the eye candy wasn't bad while enjoying a short corona. Haven't seen this at other lounges since, my vote is to allow cigs.
[Reply]
ColdCuts 11:29 AM 10-09-2014
John, first, my most sincere congratulations. You are actually living my dream. I am genuinely happy for you, if not a little jealous. :-)

I don't know squat about ventilation, sorry. As for cigarettes, I don't care for the smell of them myself, but I'll echo what others have said and say allow them. The way I see it, if you sell them, you have to let your customers smoke them. If cigars are your clear focus, hopefully cigarette smokers will be few.

It's a tricky thing though and the line is yours to draw. My wife is a cigarette smoker. It's hard for me to imagine that she'd have to leave a lounge to have a cigarette outside while I'm puffing away on my cigar inside. But I guess that's the way it is in some places.

As a customer in my fantasy dream shop, there'd be no cigarettes, vape pens, e-cigs, hookahs, or artificially flavored cigars. But you're opening a shop in the real world. You're a cigar man, but you're a business man. I suppose much depends on your clientele. It would be great if only cigar smokers--and lots of 'em--walked through your door. But, who'll be walking in? Jazz people. I'd bet that there are a lot of cigarette smokers among the jazz crowd.

Let us know how you decide to handle it.
[Reply]
MagicDrop 06:58 PM 10-09-2014
I enjoy both Cigars and cigarettes. I wouldn't exclude cigarette smokers. I don't see why a Cigar smoker would be offended by cigarette smoke. The Cigar is so much stronger of a smell, which is why cigarette smokers at times get offended she someone lights a cigar as others have pointed out but if your walking into a Cigar lounge you would be a cool to be offended by cigar smoke!

Congrats on following up on you dream and making it a reality.
[Reply]
mosesbotbol 09:10 AM 10-10-2014
Originally Posted by RWhisenand:
Now I don't go to a cigar shop to pick up women, but the eye candy wasn't bad while enjoying a short corona. Haven't seen this at other lounges since, my vote is to allow cigs.
Nothing will make your business more successful than having it frequented by attractive women. Nothing!
[Reply]
Page 2 of 6
< 12 34 > Last »
Up