Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Page 1 of 6
1 23 > Last »
All Cigar Discussion>Opening a Cigar Lounge
JohnRogers 02:16 PM 10-04-2014
Well inmates I'm opening a cigar lounge soon, I know some of you just rolled your eyes. No this is not an idea, a concept, a plan or pipe dream. I have a location and funding, I should be selling my first cigars before the fall season is over. I'm in that first 100 days and would like to ask questions and have your opinions in this thread. So to begin...

Cigarette smoking, I'm leaning toward signage and such saying "Please Refrain from Cigarette Smoking". Thoughts? What is the policy at your favorite lounge?
[Reply]
icehog3 02:26 PM 10-04-2014
I am not sure I have see any "no cigarette smoking" signs in any on the B&M lounges in my area, John, but I can't remember seeing anyone smoking cigarettes there either.

Will you be allowed to sell alcohol in your lounge? You may be forfeiting some sales with an anti-cigarette policy if that's the case. If it is strictly a cigar lounge with soft drinks and coffee, then I wouldn't think it could hurt you at all.

P.S....Great success with the venture!
[Reply]
shilala 02:30 PM 10-04-2014
I think it's best to keep the "don'ts" to a bare minimum.
To disallow cigarette smoking is borderline senseless when there are umpteen cigars burning, at least in my way of thinking.
I know I certainly wouldn't be offended by anyone smoking a cigarette where smoking is allowed. I'd be happy for the guy. A brother can't smoke a cigarette anywhere nowadays.
[Reply]
JohnRogers 02:34 PM 10-04-2014
Originally Posted by icehog3:
Will you be allowed to sell alcohol in your lounge? You may be forfeiting some sales with an anti-cigarette policy if that's the case.

P.S....Great success with the venture!
Yes a full alcohol beverage bar once the OK ABLE commission grants my permit, they are notoriously slow.

Thanks for the reply and wishing me well, I won't be selling online but at some point do I need to convert to a Retail Membership?

Originally Posted by shilala:
I think it's best to keep the "don'ts" to a bare minimum...I know I certainly wouldn't be offended by anyone smoking a cigarette where smoking is allowed. I'd be happy for the guy. A brother can't smoke a cigarette anywhere nowadays.
Scott, thanks for the input. I figured most cigar smokers didn't like being around cigarette smoke, I know I don't. I may be overestimating that whole thing. Thanks for the reply.
[Reply]
icehog3 02:39 PM 10-04-2014
If you are selling alcohol, I agree with Scott, the less "don't"s, the better.
[Reply]
The Poet 02:43 PM 10-04-2014
I'd have a "philosophical" problem with banning cigarette smokers. I no longer indulge, but I know many cigar smokers who smoke both. Plus, I herfed with Lew Rothman at JRs Whippany on several occasions, and he himself, one of the most powerful men in the cigar business, would normally smoke cigs.

You should feel free to do as you choose, but choosing to restrict the freedom of others in your choice seems odd to me. Just sayin'. :-)
[Reply]
bobarian 03:05 PM 10-04-2014
Good luck on your endeavor. Do other bars in your area allow smoking? If so, then you pribably won't have to worry about cigarette smokers crowding out your target customers. You could require a cigar purchase or charge a table minimum if casual cigarette smokers become an issue. :-)
[Reply]
Ogre 03:28 PM 10-04-2014
The cigar lounges in my area do not allow cigarette smoking.
[Reply]
Frank-D-Tank 03:46 PM 10-04-2014
Originally Posted by shilala:
I think it's best to keep the "don'ts" to a bare minimum.
To disallow cigarette smoking is borderline senseless when there are umpteen cigars burning, at least in my way of thinking.
I know I certainly wouldn't be offended by anyone smoking a cigarette where smoking is allowed. I'd be happy for the guy. A brother can't smoke a cigarette anywhere nowadays.
This^^

I'm no expert, but from a customer standpoint, most don't want to walk in to a new place and be hit with a bunch of "don't" and "no". I wouldn't worry about it at first. If down the line it becomes a problem, you can always implement the "no cigarettes" later, but I doubt it will be necessary.

Best of luck!
[Reply]
MurphysLaw 04:03 PM 10-04-2014
Put the no cigarette smoking sign in the ladies room, if anyone complains you can direct them to the cigarette free zone :-)
[Reply]
JohnRogers 04:08 PM 10-04-2014
Originally Posted by MurphysLaw:
Put the no cigarette smoking sign in the ladies room, if anyone complains you can direct them to the cigarette free zone :-)
LOL...Thank you all for chiming in I appreciate the :-) very much!
:-)
[Reply]
ApexAZ 04:52 PM 10-04-2014
There are cig smokers in my lounge all the time. I have no issues with it. I can't think of a time where I ever smelled it.

I think the more foot traffic, the better. Especially if serving alcohol, as others pointed out.

Good luck!
[Reply]
TJtorpedo 07:04 PM 10-04-2014
First of all, I commend you brother for opening a lounge and doing something you love. Best of luck!

Second, the alcohol might draw some cig smokers, but if your establishment is primarily known for cigars, I wouldn't worry too much. Like others have said, you probably dont want to exclude groups of folks, but you can always curtail it after the fact if the cigarettes get out of hand. It's ironic, but I typically get dirty looks from cig smokers when I'm lighting a cigar, so you'll want to make sure you cater to the cigar smokers. Just my observation.
[Reply]
stevef2005 07:10 PM 10-04-2014
Down here at the B&M I frequent in OKC they do allow cigarette smoking. They dont sell you Marlboros and Winstons but they sell natural cigarettes and loose leaf tobacco to roll your own. Most folks who hangout though dont have issues if some lights up.

Let me know when things are up and running too. Long overdue for that OK herf. What better place than ur place!!
[Reply]
baust55 01:32 AM 10-05-2014
Here in Nebraska there is no public smoking allowed anywhere .....but a few B&M and cigar lounges have an exception ,the law dose not allow cigarettes just cigars .
[Reply]
jhedrick83 06:26 AM 10-05-2014
The lounges I have been to in TN don't have any restrictions on cigarette smoking and I personally have never smelled them when people have lit up. Like others have said, I would try to encourage as much foot traffic as possible. I wish you the best of luck and post up some pictures as you go!
[Reply]
CigarNut 09:54 AM 10-05-2014
The lounges in Oregon only allow cigars -- cigarettes and pipes (and vaping) are specifically not allowed as they are considered "chemically treated" tobaccos.
[Reply]
mosesbotbol 02:51 PM 10-05-2014
You're are crazy if you have a sign turning away any business. Making a profit on a cigar lounge is hard enough and turn away anyone is crazy. Most cigar lounges have so much ventilation that it could toxic fumes and you can barely smell it.

You should be thinking more on the lines of "how can I get everyone around smokers or not into my lounge?" Think of ways to broaden the appeal beyond than a place to smoke cigars.
[Reply]
E.J. 04:14 PM 10-05-2014
Congrats on your new venture! I wish you all the best and success!
[Reply]
Shaneg 05:55 AM 10-06-2014
I would maybe let the staff tell the customers it's 'allowed' but frowned apon, and leave it at that- cigars are one of the last refuges from this don't do this dont do that world we live in, I would hate to see any signage of that sort at the local tobacconist, despite not liking the smell myself.
[Reply]
Page 1 of 6
1 23 > Last »
Up