Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Page 1 of 3
1 23 >
All Cigar Discussion>Cuban Tobacco
Malazan 11:24 PM 03-03-2012
I'm confused about something.:-)

Are there cigars made with tobacco grown in Cuba, yet rolled in another Country, and then legal for sale in America?

Say, if a company in Honduras bought Cuban Tobacco and made the cigars in Honduras, would they be considered illegal for import to the US?

Does this even happen? Or is it a moot point?
[Reply]
pnoon 11:27 PM 03-03-2012
Originally Posted by Malazan:
I'm confused about something.:-)

Are there cigars made with tobacco grown in Cuba, yet rolled in another Country, and then legal for sale in America? No

Say, if a company in Honduras bought Cuban Tobacco and made the cigars in Honduras, would they be considered illegal for import to the US? Yes
See above
[Reply]
Malazan 11:29 PM 03-03-2012
So when people talk about smoking CC vs NC, they are actually cigars straight off the boat from Cuba? Not Cuban Tobacco cigars form somewhere else
[Reply]
pnoon 11:30 PM 03-03-2012
So when people talk about smoking CC vs NC, they are actually cigars straight off the boat from Cuba?
In a manner of speaking, yes. There are vendors of Cuban cigars all over the world.
[Reply]
pnoon 11:32 PM 03-03-2012
Originally Posted by Hem:
And the point of this is what?
:-)
[Reply]
Hem 11:37 PM 03-03-2012
Just a joke Pete, just a joke :-)
[Reply]
pnoon 11:42 PM 03-03-2012
Well what started out at a somewhat serious thread about cigars has now been shat upon by useless banter.
[Reply]
pnoon 11:44 PM 03-03-2012
Originally Posted by icehog3:
Or stupid pictures.
Exactly my point.
[Reply]
ChicagoWhiteSox 11:45 PM 03-03-2012
So when people talk about smoking CC vs NC, they are actually cigars straight off the boat from Cuba? Not Cuban Tobacco cigars form somewhere else
All cigars rolled in Cuba are 100% cuban tobacco. Puros. Period. +1 to what Peter said as well.
[Reply]
Malazan 11:47 PM 03-03-2012
My Service Manager where I work has some Cuban Montecristos and Cohibas. One of the salesmen got them in the Caribbean and brought them home. The boxes say Made in Cuba. I forget that only the US has the embargo and no other country gives a crap about where the cigars come from.

So Cuban seed cigars are grown somewhere else, just using seeds taken from Cuba back in the day?
[Reply]
ChicagoWhiteSox 11:53 PM 03-03-2012
My Service Manager where I work has some Cuban Montecristos and Cohibas. One of the salesmen got them in the Caribbean and brought them home. The boxes say Made in Cuba. I forget that only the US has the embargo and no other country gives a crap about where the cigars come from.

So Cuban seed cigars are grown somewhere else, just using seeds taken from Cuba back in the day?
Don't forget though that the Caribbean has many fakes..
[Reply]
emopunker2004 12:00 AM 03-04-2012
Originally Posted by ChicagoWhiteSox:
Don't forget though that the Caribbean has many fakes..
This! Especially the Bahamas and Jamaica
[Reply]
T.G 12:22 AM 03-04-2012
Never seen a legitimate box of Montes or Cohiba cigars that says "Made in Cuba".

"Hecho En Cuba" sure.

But even the counterfeits have that marked on them. The Caribbean is ripe with counterfeit cigar, so depending on where they came from they might or might not be legit.

Or even recently. Doesn't matter. 1st generation tobacco leaves, grown from Cuban seed, in another country, are not considered Cuban in origin and therefore are only bound by whatever trade agreements exist with that country.
[Reply]
Malazan 01:35 AM 03-04-2012
Originally Posted by T.G:
Never seen a legitimate box of Montes or Cohiba cigars that says "Made in Cuba".

"Hecho En Cuba" sure.

But even the counterfeits have that marked on them. The Caribbean is ripe with counterfeit cigar, so depending on where they came from they might or might not be legit.

Or even recently. Doesn't matter. 1st generation tobacco leaves, grown from Cuban seed, in another country, are not considered Cuban in origin and therefore are only bound by whatever trade agreements exist with that country.
:-) They do say Hecho en Cuba, I wrote Made in Cuba cause I'm a silly American:-)
[Reply]
Don Fernando 08:32 AM 03-04-2012
Originally Posted by ChicagoWhiteSox:
All cigars rolled in Cuba are 100% cuban tobacco. Puros. Period. +1 to what Peter said as well.
Yeah, right. Thats what they want you to believe
[Reply]
Reaver2145 08:37 AM 03-04-2012

Do these Cohibas have a orange-yellow band with a non embossed chobia logo and two rows of white dots above the cohiba because they are totally legit.

Cuban seed as far as i know is exactly that cuban tobacco seeds.
[Reply]
LostAbbott 08:41 AM 03-04-2012
I have heard some people say with authority that it does go the other way though. That Cuba imports tobacco from other countries and then rolls it into their cigars... one gut even said it was their #1 import..... not sure if that is legit info, anyone know?
Posted via Mobile Device
[Reply]
CigarNut 09:00 AM 03-04-2012
If Cuba was importing tobacco I don't think that they would be able to keep it secret...
[Reply]
shilala 09:06 AM 03-04-2012
Cuba is rife with tobacco. For them to import tobacco doesn't make a lot of sense, but it could happen. Tobacco crops are just like any other crops. They can have extremely bad years, or numbers of extremely bad years in a row.
Even at that, I can't see them importing anything but maybe a small amount to keep a particular blend correct. That's a very far-fetched idea, as tobaccos from other parts of the world just don't taste the same. That said, their blenders are the best in the world, true artists at what they do. If anyone could make use of another country's tobacco, it'd be them.
I could definately see them importing wrapper, being it's so tough to grow. They could easily fall short.
Despite all that, I still can't really imagine them importing any tobacco whatsoever.
[Reply]
Reaver2145 09:14 AM 03-04-2012
Originally Posted by shilala:
Cuba is rife with tobacco. For them to import tobacco doesn't make a lot of sense, but it could happen. Tobacco crops are just like any other crops. They can have extremely bad years, or numbers of extremely bad years in a row.
Even at that, I can't see them importing anything but maybe a small amount to keep a particular blend correct. That's a very far-fetched idea, as tobaccos from other parts of the world just don't taste the same. That said, their blenders are the best in the world, true artists at what they do. If anyone could make use of another country's tobacco, it'd be them.
I could definately see them importing wrapper, being it's so tough to grow. They could easily fall short.
Despite all that, I still can't really imagine them importing any tobacco whatsoever.
Some of there blenders are good some are just crap COUGH party E5/trinny short robusto COUGH but what you say about cuban and non cuban tobacco tasting completely different is correct and im sure we would of noticed the change in flavour if it was true.
[Reply]
Page 1 of 3
1 23 >
Up