Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Page 2 of 3
< 12 3 >
All Cigar Discussion>Cigars & Air travel
Sauer Grapes 12:32 PM 06-30-2009
Carry on your cigars and cutters. Matches can be carried on, but why bother. Just grab some matches or a bic when you arrive.

As was mentioned, there are travel cases for torch lighters that allow them to be checked with fuel in them. Cases cost about $15 and the store that sells them near me recommends leaving all the tags on them so the TSA can see they are approved just in case.
[Reply]
longknocker 12:33 PM 06-30-2009
Originally Posted by poker:
I always print out a copy of the allowed items page from their website and keep it in my carry-on. If they want to seize something that is listed as okay, I can just whip it out.
And they agree with you and let you keep the goods?
[Reply]
Opusfxd 12:37 PM 06-30-2009
Just forward them out to the CFRHs and we'll take care of them for you until you get here. Which is going to be when, where and for how long? (we're kind of nosy that way)
[Reply]
Jcaprell 12:40 PM 06-30-2009
You could always buy a prometheus lighter:-) The ones that come apart and are tsa approved!
[Reply]
Col. Kurtz 12:43 PM 06-30-2009
I'm still quite a newb, so pardon my ignorance:

What would be wrong with cutting the cigars you plan to smoke before you pack them away? Grab matches on site and only pack the cut sticks.

I'm sure there's a reason this isn't an option, so I look forward to the education.
[Reply]
Jcaprell 12:57 PM 06-30-2009
Originally Posted by Col. Kurtz:
I'm still quite a newb, so pardon my ignorance:

What would be wrong with cutting the cigars you plan to smoke before you pack them away? Grab matches on site and only pack the cut sticks.

I'm sure there's a reason this isn't an option, so I look forward to the education.
In my opinion, ignorance is the greatest opportunity you will ever have.

I have found that precut cigars never taste quite the same as freshly cut cigars. Couldn't tell you why though.

Plus, for me, cutting is an important and special (as weird as that sounds) ritual. So, I lose something if I dont have to cut a cigar.
[Reply]
Col. Kurtz 01:44 PM 06-30-2009
Originally Posted by Jcaprell:
In my opinion, ignorance is the greatest opportunity you will ever have.

I have found that precut cigars never taste quite the same as freshly cut cigars. Couldn't tell you why though.

Plus, for me, cutting is an important and special (as weird as that sounds) ritual. So, I lose something if I dont have to cut a cigar.
I guess I'm just full of opportunities then :-):-)

I've never had a pre-cut cigar so I can't say, but I wonder how/why that would affect the flavor....

The ritual part I can understand. I always bang three times on the foot board before I go to bed.... (bizarre O.J. Simpson reference.)
[Reply]
poker 02:07 PM 06-30-2009
Originally Posted by longknocker:
And they agree with you and let you keep the goods?
Never had to pull it out. One time a long time ago I was travelling on business and they were thinking about not letting me pass with my Dupont Ligne II. I politely explained that the lighter was a gift and it was worth more than her wages for 27 weeks. She let me take it. That was the last time I traveled with a Dupont though. :-)
[Reply]
RevSmoke 06:26 PM 06-30-2009
Actually, flying into Denver, going to Parker for a night (in-laws), then to Yellowstone.

As much as I'd like to, I doubt I will get much of anywhere "out" to smoke a cigar. Will be in the backyard, hiking, on the trail, around the grill.

Thanks to all of you for your comments and assitance in this whole matter, it is appreciated.

Peace of the Lord be with you.
[Reply]
longknocker 07:06 PM 06-30-2009
Never had to pull it out. One time a long time ago I was travelling on business and they were thinking about not letting me pass with my Dupont Ligne II. I politely explained that the lighter was a gift and it was worth more than her wages for 27 weeks. She let me take it. That was the last time I traveled with a Dupont though. :-)
:-) Great Story!:-)
[Reply]
bigloo 07:14 PM 06-30-2009
I never take lighters anymore. Cigars in cigar caddy in carryon. I also have cheap cutters I travel with. Although they have never been taken away, I dont care of they are.
[Reply]
TripleF 08:53 PM 06-30-2009
Great thread and great answers guys!! I am preparing for a flight to Rochester, NY in a couple days...

I did mail most of my sticks, cutters and torches ahead, but I will have a couple sticks with me in my carry on.
[Reply]
DPD6030 09:55 AM 11-11-2009
Heres the list direct from the TSA website:

http://www.tsa.gov/travelers/airtrav...ted-items.shtm

Heres more info:

http://www.tsa.gov/travelers/airtrav...able_0099.shtm
http://www.tsa.gov/travelers/sop/index.shtm
I thought there was an area where it said a cigar cutter was allowed in carry-on bags. I can't find it now. :-) Might as well just leave my cutter at home :-)
[Reply]
jledou 10:01 AM 11-11-2009
Originally Posted by DPD6030:
I thought there was an area where it said a cigar cutter was allowed in carry-on bags. I can't find it now. :-) Might as well just leave my cutter at home :-)

I have not had problems with a cutter while traveling in the US and overseas. I do not travel with an expensive cutter though just in case someone is having a bad day.
[Reply]
kydsid 10:03 AM 11-11-2009
As a former employee of DHS, not TSA thank god, and frequent traveler during those times under official business my suggestion would be no cutter and no lighter. It may say allowed on the website but do you want to wait while someone goes and looks it up? That said I have accidently left cutters, scalpels, dissection kits, vials of alcohol and more banned and not banned substances in carry-on luggage that has never been looked at and at other times chastised for having a can of soda, a regular lighter (not butane, before,during, and after the change in that restriction), chastised for having departmental patches in my luggage because that isn't a secure and on and on. If someone wants to take it you have to decide how much of a fight you are willing to put up if you are right, is that worth it? :-)
[Reply]
mosesbotbol 10:05 AM 11-11-2009
Just check it all in and no worries.
[Reply]
T.G 10:25 AM 11-11-2009
A few years ago there was a section in the list that specifically stated that cigar guillotines were ok, but this was back when they were more strict on edged objects, now, you can take a 4" long pair of scissors on the plane according to the list, so think about the damage one can do with those, a guillotine cutter pales in comparison.

I seem to recall the change in the list occurring about the time it became necessary for all screeners to be TSA, and that private agencies could no longer be used.
[Reply]
mariogolbee 06:19 PM 02-23-2012
I am flying tomorrow to Long Beach and I have one of these little yellow Colibra thingies. So, should I put a Bic in it and stuff it on top of everything else in my checked baggage, stuff a Bic in my carry-on bag, or do both and hope for the best? I've read through this thread and the TSA rules, but I'm still a little confused. I'm pretty sure I should NOT bring a torch. Any input?

Thanks in advance!
[Reply]
ysr_racer 06:47 PM 02-23-2012
I travel a lot, and you guys know most of the agents that work for TSA, can't even spell TSA, right?

That being said, I cut my cigars before I leave, and carry them on.

Torch goes in checked bag. Never had any problems.
[Reply]
mosesbotbol 07:10 PM 02-23-2012
I've been flying 16+ flights a month with no check in and never a problem with cutter or cigars. I don't care about lighter; can get one when I smoke or borrow one.
[Reply]
Page 2 of 3
< 12 3 >
Up