Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
All Cigar Discussion>are these box codes legit?
pullins10 10:27 AM 08-21-2015
Hey guys I've got a lead on a box of MC #2 and I'm trying to figure out of the box code is legit. I've looked all over and can't seem to find any information confirming one way or the other.

OLM JUN 14
PMS JUN 14

I guess a better question would be how do you know if its a legit box code or a fake box code?

Any ideas?
[Reply]
T.G 10:51 AM 08-21-2015
Originally Posted by pullins10:
Hey guys I've got a lead on a box of MC #2 and I'm trying to figure out of the box code is legit. I've looked all over and can't seem to find any information confirming one way or the other.

OLM JUN 14
PMS JUN 14

I guess a better question would be how do you know if its a legit box code or a fake box code?

Any ideas?

Relying on the box code to determine authenticity is a poor course of action. All a counterfeiter needs to do is look at one legitimate box to get a valid code and then stamp it on every box they produce.

If the vendor did not remove the bar code from the box seal, you can run the bar code here:
http://www.habanos.com/en/verificacion-de-autenticidad/

You also have to look at the packaging, bands and construction to get an idea if the cigars are legitimate. There are some sites out there that have some guides on what to look for, but most of them are kind of dated at this point.

If you don't trust your source and can't verify the cigars yourself, then you probably shouldn't buy them.
[Reply]
Havanaaddict 11:17 AM 08-21-2015
Originally Posted by pullins10:

OLM JUN 14
PMS JUN 14

Any ideas?
As far as the codes I have seen them plenty of times and they do excist!!!:-)
[Reply]
nutcracker 02:02 PM 08-21-2015
:-) Yeah, but the PMS ones are feisty! :-)
[Reply]
AdamJoshua 02:15 PM 08-21-2015
Originally Posted by T.G:
Relying on the box code to determine authenticity is a poor course of action. All a counterfeiter needs to do is look at one legitimate box to get a valid code and then stamp it on every box they produce.

If the vendor did not remove the bar code from the box seal, you can run the bar code here:
http://www.habanos.com/en/verificacion-de-autenticidad/

You also have to look at the packaging, bands and construction to get an idea if the cigars are legitimate. There are some sites out there that have some guides on what to look for, but most of them are kind of dated at this point.

If you don't trust your source and can't verify the cigars yourself, then you probably shouldn't buy them.
^ This
[Reply]
pektel 02:28 PM 08-21-2015
Originally Posted by nutcracker:
Those ones need a good 5-7 days before they're ready to be handled.
[Reply]
Brlesq 04:50 PM 08-21-2015
Originally Posted by pektel:
:-):-):-)
[Reply]
dvickery 10:26 PM 08-21-2015
They only work for me about 3 or 4 days a month .

Derrek
[Reply]
shilala 11:46 AM 08-22-2015
I agree with Adam 100%. A trusted vendor is everything. And there are a lot of excellent ones.

My thinking toward the box codes...
If I was counterfeiting, that'd be my very last worry.
And if I even bothered, I'd just copy a box code. I sure as heck wouldn't just make one up out of the blue.

Smoke 'em. Then you'll have your answer.
It'd be awful tough to mistake a Monte for anything else.
I think you're okay, brother. Good Luck!!! ;tu
[Reply]
Blueface 11:57 AM 08-24-2015
Originally Posted by pektel:
........and be sure to use "napkins".:-)

OP,
I wouldn't worry about codes if a trusted source.
If came via a friend who knows a friend, etc, then yeah, there may be concerns if codes elude you.
[Reply]
RJrocker 12:28 PM 08-24-2015
:-) I see what you did there! :-):-)
[Reply]
Up