Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
All Cigar Discussion>601 Blue, crooked burn.
oooo35980 05:52 PM 03-12-2012
So I bought a box of 601 blues, and they all seem to have the exact same crooked burn. I've had 4 and even when the wife smokes with me we can put our cigars together and the burn angle is exactly the same. It doesn't require alot of touch up, but enough to be slightly annoying. I was just wondering how common it is for a box to have the exact same flaws for every stick, maybe they were all rolled by the same guy? Or do 601 just tend to go crooked?
[Reply]
kelmac07 05:54 PM 03-12-2012
Isiah...as a true 601 Blue whore...I've never had a complete box burn "crooked". Maybe one or two...but never a whole box. And I've burned through quite a few boxes of 601 Blues. Still have 7 boxes left to confirm my theory. :-) :-)
[Reply]
Remo 05:57 PM 03-12-2012
Send me the rest of your box and I will conduct a thorough study and will get back to ya with the results.

But seriously I doubt they will all burn bad, but they are a handmade item with natural ingredients so I guess ya never know :-)
[Reply]
BlkDrew 06:02 PM 03-12-2012
how long has the box been resting? RH may not be even through out maybe causing the uneven burn..
[Reply]
TJtorpedo 06:02 PM 03-12-2012
I smoked a 601 Blue last night, and my burn was off somewhat as well. I wouldn't quite classify it as a canoe, but it needed a couple of touch-ups.

I got a couple fivers online about a week ago, so I chalked it up as maybe needing more time in the humi to regulate.
[Reply]
oooo35980 06:02 PM 03-12-2012
It doesn't make them unsmokeable, they are quite pleasant in fact. It's more of a slight inconvenenience, was just curious because they seem to all go crooked with the same angle. They've been in my coolidor at 68rh for just under 2 weeks.
[Reply]
kelmac07 06:09 PM 03-12-2012
68% RH for two weeks? Give 'em a little more time. I keep mine at 62% RH and have a few boxes that are over three years old. Might want to try dry boxing a few for a few days before smoking them to see how they burn. :-)
[Reply]
bobarian 06:20 PM 03-12-2012
Originally Posted by kelmac07:
68% RH for two weeks? Give 'em a little more time. I keep mine at 62% RH and have a few boxes that are over three years old. Might want to try dry boxing a few for a few days before smoking them to see how they burn. :-)
:-) Let them rest. Something else to consider is that correcting a smoke occurs more often that you might think. Try smoking slower, one puff a minute. But correcting an irregular burn is part of smoking cigars, get used to it. :-)
[Reply]
thecatch83 06:27 PM 03-12-2012
Agreed, I have smoked probably 5 boxes of these and haven't even had one stick that burned uneven. As with all hand rolled cigars, it's possible to get one from time to time. Strange!
[Reply]
DaBear 07:52 PM 03-12-2012
Originally Posted by bobarian:
:-) Let them rest. Something else to consider is that correcting a smoke occurs more often that you might think. Try smoking slower, one puff a minute. But correcting an irregular burn is part of smoking cigars, get used to it. :-)
:-) It annoys the crap out of me to have one side burning even an eighth of an inch further up than the other, but I'm just OCD about my burn line.
[Reply]
oooo35980 08:10 PM 03-12-2012
These ones burn about a half inch lower on the left side with the band facing me. I'm also a bit OCD about my burn which is probably why I noticed that they all have the same little quirk, it's not that they are crooked, I just find it strange that they are all the same type of crooked. Also this is only my third full box so I was curious if it was a common occurrence, I guess it isn't lol.
[Reply]
trendo 08:57 PM 03-12-2012
I heard that moisture will follow gravity. I once had a box which refused to burn on the opposite side of the band. I flipped the box over and gave it another two weeks. I don't know if the flipping actually helped, but they burned perfectly after that.
[Reply]
dwoodward 09:05 PM 03-12-2012
I haven't had a 601 Blue in so long... I think my mouth just started watering... yep, it did...

Just be glad to have such a wonderful cigar. People get too bent out of shape with the burn, it doesn't matter so long as it get to the end.
[Reply]
SvilleKid 09:27 PM 03-12-2012
Originally Posted by trendo:
I heard that moisture will follow gravity. I once had a box which refused to burn on the opposite side of the band. I flipped the box over and gave it another two weeks. I don't know if the flipping actually helped, but they burned perfectly after that.
DING, DING, DING!!!!!:-)

We have a winner here! It is not uncommon at all for sticks sitting for a long time (unmoved), as well as new sticks (unstablized) to have a "wet" (or at least a less dry) side that will burn slower than the rest.

Rotate the sticks a couple times a week. Bet that will take care of the issue!
[Reply]
oooo35980 09:38 PM 03-12-2012
Hmm I never thought about that, I'll flip the box over and let it sit a while. Thanks.
[Reply]
irratebass 04:00 AM 03-13-2012
Haven't had any issues with my box so far (only smoked 2, but the burn was tip top) good luck
[Reply]
Reaver2145 01:30 PM 03-13-2012
Funny ive had this as well it seems to go from box to box at random and only effect the blues.

Though i smoke through a box of the reds in a week so thats prolly why.
[Reply]
schollianmj 08:56 PM 03-13-2012
Man, I rarely have ANY stick that burns even with out a little work. I am constantly rolling one side down, touching up, or just saying fudge it and smoking that thing canoie... This is supposed to be relaxing and enjoyable, not constantly timing my puffs and analyzing my burn pattern... :-)
[Reply]
oooo35980 09:07 PM 03-13-2012
I think I'd lose my mind if i had to leave one alone and let it canoe, I usually have ddecent luck with my burns though.
[Reply]
thecatch83 12:16 AM 03-14-2012
believe it or not, the outside weather plays a huge factor in how cigars burn. Try smoking a 65-70% stick when it's freezing outside and let me know how that works out for you! Not a pretty picture!
[Reply]
Up