Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
All Cigar Discussion>Aged LP9?
ApexAZ 08:14 AM 03-09-2012
I realize aging is a completely subjective topic, but I was hoping to get some opinions from those who have aged any Liga Privada No. 9, and if so, was it worth it?

The reason I am asking is I'm looking for a box that would be good for a wedding gift from my fiance that I could smoke on our anniversaries.

Would the LP9 be a good selection for this?
[Reply]
Brooks W 09:21 AM 03-09-2012
Originally Posted by ApexAZ:
I realize aging is a completely subjective topic, but I was hoping to get some opinions from those who have aged any Liga Privada No. 9, and if so, was it worth it?

The reason I am asking is I'm looking for a box that would be good for a wedding gift from my fiance that I could smoke on our anniversaries.

Would the LP9 be a good selection for this?
I think this will answer all your questions.

http://www.halfwheel.com/?p=22812

Honestly, the best NC aged stick I have had for a while are some OR VSGs...I bought a box of the VSG CGs to put down based on the ones I smoked...So, my choice would be VSG or Opus...

Hope that helps!

~brooks
[Reply]
maninblack 09:30 AM 03-09-2012
I have a problem aging any LP because I can't wait to smoke them now! Too tasty to just sit in my humi.
[Reply]
shilala 09:39 AM 03-09-2012
I had guessed that these wouldn't stand up to aging before I read the review. Most multiple-country blends don't, in my experience.
With the exception of very few high-end cigars, and most Oliva products, my personal impression is that a high percentage of nc's age poorly.
I suppose "poorly" is subjective. I want a cigar to hold it's strength and nuance over time, but simply lose it's wet, ammonia, barnyard feel.
Even Padron Anni's suffer after more than a few years in my estimation, losing a lot of strength while retaining character. Anejo's seem to stand up real well on all points.
[Reply]
Islayphile 10:18 AM 03-09-2012
I agree on the Padrons Scott...

those are meant to be smoked right away, and do suffer from aging IMO
[Reply]
ApexAZ 10:30 AM 03-09-2012
I would get a box of Opus, but seems unlikely right now.
[Reply]
ApexAZ 10:57 AM 03-09-2012
Sorry, what is OR VSG? I think Ashton VSG.
[Reply]
shilala 11:01 AM 03-09-2012
Originally Posted by Islayphile:
I agree on the Padrons Scott...

those are meant to be smoked right away, and do suffer from aging IMO
I do like to give them about 8 months if they're wet. If they're ready to go rott, I'm with you 100%. :-)

A box of Anejos is cheaper, a far better smoke, and will carry you across the years. Maybe you might want to look at a cc option? While I enjoy freshies better in my cc's, they can go from real good to absolutely sublime if you care for them properly.
If I were long-storing a cab for your purpose, I'd lightly seal-a-meal the box each time I got a cigar out just to hold in as much of the goodness as I can. A breath of fresh air every year for 50 years would suit me fine, and I bet that 50th cigar would be phenomenal, were the Good Lord willing to let me live so long.
[Reply]
mariogolbee 11:10 AM 03-09-2012
Yes. Original Ashton VSG.
[quote=shilala;1586456A box of Anejos is cheaper, a far better smoke, and will carry you across the years. Maybe you might want to look at a cc option? While I enjoy freshies better in my cc's, they can go from real good to absolutely sublime if you care for them properly.
[/QUOTE]

:-)Don Carlos. Pipesandcigars.com seems to have the best price on them that I've seen thus far. The aged DC I've had were phenomenal.
[Reply]
JenksAnejo 11:37 AM 03-09-2012
Originally Posted by :
Anejo's seem to stand up real well on all points.
The longer you can wait the better IMO! :-)

I like the LP9 rott; I think the strength and flavors are damn near unbeatable fresh.
[Reply]
Brooks W 11:55 AM 03-09-2012
Sorry.

OR = Original Release (i.e. 1999)

I guess what I was saying is that the VSG blend seems to do very well when aged for significant amount of time (at least the ones I have had from different years)...

~brooks
[Reply]
neoflex 12:07 PM 03-09-2012
I find that any Liga improves greatly with age. Perfect example are the Dirty Rats. When they first came out I really like them and than I stumbled upon one in my humidor that had close to two years on it and holy crap did that thing come to life! I have a few T-52 Toros that are roughly two years old too and they are smoking phenomenally right now.
[Reply]
thegoldenmackid 01:02 PM 03-09-2012
A lot of this gets to the point of what is "aged."

I've had a few old (4+ year) Ligas and it's just not my cup of tea.

I agree with the above comments that say Dirty Rats with a year or so, but I would use a bit different terminology on that, but it's semantics.

Getting at the root of the question, I think that this year's batch of T-52s is proving to be a collector quality item as far as Ligas go, that being said, I wouldn't hold onto them until 2017 and expect great things.
[Reply]
AlohaStyle 01:56 PM 03-09-2012
Originally Posted by thegoldenmackid:
A lot of this gets to the point of what is "aged."

I've had a few old (4+ year) Ligas and it's just not my cup of tea.

I agree with the above comments that say Dirty Rats with a year or so, but I would use a bit different terminology on that, but it's semantics.

Getting at the root of the question, I think that this year's batch of T-52s is proving to be a collector quality item as far as Ligas go, that being said, I wouldn't hold onto them until 2017 and expect great things.
That would be my answer exactly. I think NC's can be great with 2-3 years on them, but the darker/richer ones like Liga's, Tat Reservas etc can lose their luster after 4+. That is one of the reasons why I'm mainly a CC guy now because I don't smoke as often as others and I need a cigar that can age well.

With that said, there are some NC's that can be great after 4 years. Liga's haven't been around long enough to really know, but some of the natural Tatuaje's in the brown line etc can be really good. Fuentes obviously age well etc.
[Reply]
kuzi16 12:23 PM 03-10-2012
i only like the PL no.9s as fresh as i can get em. i feel that after a year or so the coffee notes are brought out and that is not what i usually got for in a cigar.

if you wanna age the LP line i would say the T52s are a bit better to do.
[Reply]
macsauce13 12:38 PM 03-10-2012
Is the Opus stock really low right now? Its been a while since I have looked.
[Reply]
jakesmokes 01:37 PM 03-10-2012
Cigars direct has plenty. I order from them frequently.
[Reply]
ApexAZ 02:21 PM 03-10-2012
cigarsdirect dot com?
[Reply]
Ervsuperb 08:08 AM 03-11-2012
Originally Posted by maninblack:
I have a problem aging any LP because I can't wait to smoke them now! Too tasty to just sit in my humi.
This! Although I'm getting better at letting a few boxes rest
[Reply]
Up