Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Page 3 of 3
< 123
All Cigar Discussion>Cuban Tobacco
Sonic04GT 03:42 PM 03-08-2012
Originally Posted by Hem:
Just a joke Pete, just a joke :-)
I chuckled. Nobody should take any forum too seriously.

The good thing about forums is there should be some humor in every serious thread. If it's THAT serious, then maybe a conference call with suits and ties should exist for the discussion :-)

But, I'm not a mod, and those who are, please don't ban me. :-)
[Reply]
Pat1075 04:01 PM 03-08-2012
Originally Posted by Sam Leccia:
Truth is you'd never know.

There is zero regulation in the industry. which can be good, and bad.

it's bad in the case that any manufacturer in any country and say whatever they want on it's packaging, whether we are talking about age numbers or tobacco origin or type.

it happens more often then it doesn't. All you know is what the manufacturers want you to know. It's quite different from the liquor industry which has bi-laws and regulation. Age statements and regions are 100% legit in the liquor industry. ex. Scotch must be made in Scotland from 100% malted barley, Tequilla must be made in the tequila region of mexico from aquave etc...
it's true.
Sam it's good to see you back.
Sam speaks the truth here. This is why there are so many cigars with claims of being "cuban when they are honduran, nicaraguan, or dominican. Or they make caims of being 12 years old.

The cigar industry is free game.
[Reply]
Doctorossi 07:54 AM 03-09-2012
Originally Posted by Don Fernando:
Alejandro Robaina's son has a huge farm in Ecuador. He doesn't produce cigars, nobody buys his tobacco but it 'strangely' disappears every year.
However...

In light of the facts that

1) the Robaina family specializes in wrapper leaf

and

2) Ecuador specializes in wrapper leaf

and

3) wrapper leaf, if anything, would be the product Cuba would, logically, be most likely to have a need to import,

it would be a fair assumption that the middle Senor Robaina's mystery Ecuadorian vega is producing wrapper leaf, yes?

If that's the case, where are the Cuban cigars with wrappers that look Ecuadorian and where are the Ecuadorian-wrapper-identified cigars with wrappers that look Cuban? I've seen some of each that look vaguely like each other, but nothing I think I'd have any risk of misidentifying.
[Reply]
never_enough 10:13 AM 03-09-2012
I'm not educated enough to add to the topic, but I am enjoying reading about it. Its always nice to learn things.
[Reply]
Zanaspus 10:34 AM 03-09-2012
This conversation reminds me of an interview with Don Pepin Garcia a few years back. When asked, "If you had free access to all the world's tobacco, what would you choose to use?" He answered, "The ligero leaf and the binder would be from Nicaragua, and the rest would be cuban." Maybe someone's using the recipe? :-)

Also, do all the fake Cubans in Cuba get made with Cuban tobacco? Something to think about...
[Reply]
Page 3 of 3
< 123
Up