Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Page 14 of 29
« First < 4121314 151624 > Last »
Wine, Beer, and Spirits>nice rums?
replicant_argent 09:09 AM 03-13-2010
cracked a bottle of el Dorado 12 year Demerara last night....
very tasty, and at 23 bucks or so, one hell of a value. Smooth lingering finish, Sweet without being overly syrupy, just enough bite. Tons of flavor.

Simply put, it doesn't suck, I will probably keep a bottle or two of this on hand.
In my limited brand experience, one of my top 5 I think.
[Reply]
Chainsaw13 05:08 PM 03-13-2010
Originally Posted by Mark C:
Were you there before or after Katrina? If I remember right, they found themselves in a tough spot after the hurricane and I think a new owner came in, resulting in some changes.
I've been there after Katrina. Not sure about the owner change, but true, they were in a tough spot. IIRC, they had 9-11 feet of water in distillery pretty much taking out the entire first floor. Luckily they stored their rum in the rafters and it was untouched. That brought about the special edition 10 year old rum, which was their 8 year that got a couple extra years of aging.
[Reply]
SNKBYT 08:25 AM 04-01-2010
found this site while doing research.......hope its helpful
http://scottesrum.com/
[Reply]
Mark C 06:30 PM 04-01-2010
Originally Posted by snkbyt:
found this site while doing research.......hope its helpful
http://scottesrum.com/
I used to keep up with that but haven't seen it in awhile, thanks for putting it back in front of me! His reviews are great, but I really like the side-by-side comparisons.
[Reply]
kazzaca 06:40 PM 04-01-2010
I'm also a big fan of El Dorado rum...it's great value for the quality.
[Reply]
Wanger 07:01 AM 04-05-2010
Originally Posted by kazzaca:
I'm also a big fan of El Dorado rum...it's great value for the quality.
Been through a few bottle of the 12 myself, and tried the 15. Good stuff, and especially at the price. Not too much more than what I prefer to have on hand for mixers. :-)
[Reply]
nitropyro3 02:39 PM 04-09-2010
I prefer Rum made with pure can rather than moleasses. Probably my favorite is 10 Cane from Trinidad and Tobago. I think it was around $40 for 1ltr but this was in Nassau, not sure what it is state side.
[Reply]
Chainsaw13 02:50 PM 04-09-2010
I just tried bit of Ron Caney cuban rum. Not bad, but seems more for mixing.
[Reply]
RevSmoke 05:38 PM 04-09-2010
Just got a bottle of Grande Reserve Plantation - Barbados - for $14.99.

I am very impressed!

Will be getting another one very quickly.
[Reply]
RGD. 08:08 PM 04-13-2010
Just saw that you had posted this. I had a chance to taste the 12 year against the 15 - and thought the 12 was very good and the 15 even better in smoothness. I don't have a bottle of the 12 here - but I do have the 15. Add it to your list for your next bottle.

Ron

Originally Posted by replicant_argent:
cracked a bottle of el Dorado 12 year Demerara last night....
very tasty, and at 23 bucks or so, one hell of a value. Smooth lingering finish, Sweet without being overly syrupy, just enough bite. Tons of flavor.

Simply put, it doesn't suck, I will probably keep a bottle or two of this on hand.
In my limited brand experience, one of my top 5 I think.

[Reply]
Superbad 09:02 PM 04-15-2010
I highly recommend El Dorado rums. I love the 12 and 15 year. They now have a 151 overproof for all those high octane Tiki drinks from years long gone by. You might want to check out my blog for a few recipes for rum drinks. http://geekytiki.wordpress.com/ I need to start updating it again, and I will likely add a cigar section.
[Reply]
nomadicwookie 07:10 AM 04-23-2010
Man Marc C knows his rum. I'm gonna cast another vote for the El Dorado 15yr. Outstanding rum and a great value.
[Reply]
TheLostGringo 08:28 AM 04-23-2010
Never been a huge fan of rum but do enjoy the:

RON CENTENARIO XX ANJOS

Probably need to try a few more high-end rums
[Reply]
SNKBYT 11:12 AM 04-23-2010
no more road trips for any of my rums:-)
found a small local MOM&POP store that carries all 3
ZAYA 12 ($170 per 6pk)
ZACAPA
CENTENARIO
[Reply]
Wanger 09:54 AM 04-25-2010
Originally Posted by snkbyt:
no more road trips for any of my rums:-)
found a small local MOM&POP store that carries all 3
ZAYA 12 ($170 per 6pk)
ZACAPA
CENTENARIO
Which Zaya, Alex? The GOOD stuff (Guat)?
[Reply]
replicant_argent 10:08 AM 04-25-2010
Originally Posted by Wanger:
Yeah... right.... I think we know what happened to the remaining stock on the planet of the Guat, Mike.

Unfortunately.

It's a bit like talking about sources, and holding them close to the vest, don't you think?
[Reply]
wolfandwhisky 10:42 AM 04-25-2010
I'm a big fan of Zaya - I like the bananas/caramel spectrum of rum

What is Ron Zacapa like - more bananas/caramel or orange/spice?

What other rums are out there that are similar to Zaya, and if possible, better than Zaya?
[Reply]
SNKBYT 11:47 AM 04-25-2010
Originally Posted by Wanger:
unfortunately its the Trinidad ZAYA, but catfish Dave did bring me a bottle of Guatemalan ZAYA Rum his last visit
[Reply]
wayner123 06:52 AM 04-26-2010
I went out and got a bottle of the El Dorado 15yr. I must say it's a smooth rum, but lacks the smokey flavor that I like. It had nice flavors, but they were muted.

All in all, it was a good rum, especially at the price point. But like Wanger stated, it's just above what I would choose for a mixer. Might make a very tasty mojito.
[Reply]
Wanger 11:14 AM 04-26-2010
Originally Posted by wolfandwhisky:
I'm a big fan of Zaya - I like the bananas/caramel spectrum of rum

What is Ron Zacapa like - more bananas/caramel or orange/spice?

What other rums are out there that are similar to Zaya, and if possible, better than Zaya?
Not good with describing flavors and all, but if you like the old (Guatemalan) Zaya, you'll likely like Zacapa. It has a very similar smoothness and taste profile. More refined than most sippers I've had. Definitely more than the "new" (Trini) Zaya, IMO.

The main thing for me about the Trini Zaya is that it's not worth the price to me any more. The old stuff was, but I can find stuff with similar bite at lower prices to the Trini version.

I've got some Diplomatico that I haven't cracked yet, as well as some Ron Pampero that I've been drinking. The Pampero is not bad, reasonably smooth, with a hint of bite to it. Haven't had any for a couple weeks, so I can't really describe the flavors to you. If you don't care for the orange flavors, I'd say to stay away from Pyrat Pistol...the stuff I've had tasted more like an ice cream topping than a sipping rum. Just not one for me, I guess.

I think I need to have a rum tasting here. At least to refresh my memory of some of them, and maybe try some new ones. :-)
[Reply]
Page 14 of 29
« First < 4121314 151624 > Last »
Up