Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Island (The other ones) Reviews>Matilde Oscuro
kingcobradude 12:43 AM 11-10-2019
It has been a couple years since I have really smoked cigars. And even longer since I reviewed them but here goes.

Cigar: Matilde Oscuro Toro Bravo 6.5x54

Construction: 6.5/10. Tight draw at first, and a couple knots near the head that caused the wrapper to split towards the end. Ash stayed on for an inch to inch and a half.

Band design: 7/10. Fairly simple but attractive double band, and it was tight to the stick without being glued to the stick itself

Body: mild-medium at first, building to medium full.

Flavors: began with a leather and wood, leather and grassy finish, slight pepper comes in around the 1/3 mark. Half way brings in coffee on both draw and finish. Around the 2/3 mark, coffee takes over with a caramel background and hints of coco, and some draws had a slight nuttiness.

Burn time: I ended it with 2 inches left due to wrapper failure, 1 hour 20 minutes. It could have gone another 15 minutes if the wrapper didn't fail.

Final conclusions: the only letdown is the construction. I only had one of these, so I don't know if it was just a fluke. That being said, the flavors were wonderful. They appear to be a b&m only cigar(I didn't find any website selling them, and my local b&m doesn't carry them. I wouldn't buy it again as is, but would smoke if gifted one. Though if they fixed the construction problems and gave it a bit more body at the beginning third, I would definitely buy them if I saw them.
[Reply]
icehog3 09:06 AM 11-10-2019
Great review, Clay, thanks! :-)
[Reply]
G G 09:07 AM 11-10-2019
Nice review.:-)
[Reply]
kingcobradude 04:11 PM 11-10-2019
I should add a couple things.
1. It is Oscura, not Oscuro. (Always double check spelling)
2. I looked at other reviews, it appears I must have gotten a fluke in construction, I didn't see any other reports of a tight draw or construction issues.

With that update, I am willing to give it another go
Iirc, it was around $7.50 I paid for it, but I got it in Denver, a whole days drive from where I live.
[Reply]
Up