Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Island (The other ones) Reviews>Rocky Patel Vintage 1990 robusto
Don Fernando 12:49 PM 10-15-2008
Some time ago I got myself a Rocky Patel vintage 1990 robusto, a 140mm long ring 50 cigar made with a 12 year old Honduran broadleaf wrapper and a 7 year old filler and binder. This particular cigar received a ‘best of the best’ at the 2004 Robb report and a 92 score at Cigar Aficionado so my expectations were high.

It is a beautiful cigar, pretty wrapper, nice stylish band, a real looker and it also feels good. The predraw was light and easy and lighting this cigar was a piece of cake. An easy draw but no flavor. It took a few puffs to finally get a flavor and it was very light leather which grows stronger when I reach the 1/3rd point where a hint of cacao and a light fresh sour flavor also enter my palate. Somewhere around the half of the cigar the cacao grows a bit stronger but it’s still to light for my taste.

The ash is beautiful, white & gray and firm of construction. Just before I reach the half of the cigar the burn starts to get crooked so I have to correct. My correction was just a short success because the burn keeps on getting crooked and I keep on correcting. It is hard to keep this cigar burning correctly

This cigar is mild bodied, way too mild for me. Maybe I should try the 1992 vintage, that cigar is medium to full bodied according to the Rocky Patel website.

Would I buy this cigar again? No.
[Reply]
MarkinAZ 06:33 PM 10-15-2008
Thanks for the review DF. I've tried both the robusto 1990 and the 1992 without much success. Found both mild to medium bodied in taste and strength, and really didn't do too much for me. Now the ITC 10th Anniversary and ITC Maduro in the same basic size' I've really enjoyed:-)

[Reply]
Tw3nty 08:12 PM 10-15-2008
Also another good cigar and another good review
[Reply]
Tombstone 08:14 PM 10-15-2008
Rocky Patel makes some good ceegars.
[Reply]
Scottw 10:23 PM 10-15-2008
Love this one, sorry it dissapointed you. Try the decade, it's a lovely smoke.
[Reply]
BlackDog 05:37 AM 10-16-2008
This has been one of my favorite Rocky's so far. Sorry it didn't work out for you.
[Reply]
rhdad42 08:53 AM 10-16-2008
I'm a big fan of the RP Vintages, but I've found the 92's more to my liking. I think they have a bit more flavor than the 90s.
[Reply]
CoroHo 09:00 AM 10-16-2008
RP makes each of the vintages in a perfecto size that's pretty good, too. Think Fuente Hemingway Short Story and you've got a good handle on it.
[Reply]
rizzle 10:12 AM 10-16-2008
The 90 torpedo is the one that sent me off the deep end. Still one of my favorites.

Sorry you didn't enjoy it more. Some times high expectations are the worst thing that can happen to a cigar.:-)
[Reply]
Boobar 04:28 PM 10-16-2008
Sorry to hear that you didn't like the RP 1990 robusto, this is one my favorites.
[Reply]
Cybervee 06:01 AM 10-17-2008
Originally Posted by rizzle:
The 90 torpedo is the one that sent me off the deep end. Still one of my favorites.

Lately I can't decide between the 90 robusto and the 90 mini-belicoso - so I always have a few boxes of each in the cooler. :-)
[Reply]
Up