Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Island (The other ones) Reviews>Tatuaje Boris
Don Fernando 10:48 AM 08-08-2010
Thanks to two American friends I got my hands on two of the hard to get and hyped up Tatuaje Dracula and Tatuaje Boris. I smoked the Drac before and liked it a lot, so my expectations for this Boris were very high. Almost every review I read on this Boris was positive too, so I couldn't wait to light it but I forced myself to wait a while, as I knew that it would be next to impossible to get another stick if I liked it. The moment that I couldn't wait any longer arrived, last night I decided it was time to light this special stick. From what I've been told, this Boris is last year's Tatuaje Frank but out of costume. I can't tell as I haven't smoked the Frank yet.

The oily wrapper is a little messy with lots of veins. The Ecuadorian Sumatra Rosado gives the cigar a nice reddish glow. The cigar has a bit of a sour, ammonia like, barnyard smell. I feel some soft spots in the construction but the predraw gives the right amount of resistance. I can taste cedar and raisin with a peppery aftertaste.

I get a full earth and coffee flavor and a very very mild chocolate. I also get some freshness from the cigar, I don't know exactly what kind of freshness, it is not minty and the flavor is a bit hidden. The chocolate gains some power and after an inch the freshness become a bit stronger too. I get a dry feeling in my mouth. After ⅓ I taste cedar with the mild chocolate and the fresh aftertaste.

The chocolate joins the freshness in the aftertaste, and halfway the cigar I also taste some herbs on the background. After ⅔ the herbal flavors are the main flavor, they pushed the cedar away completely. There is a hint of chocolate with the freshness on the background and in the aftertaste, but the chocolate starts fading away until I can't taste it anymore.

The smoke time of this 7x49 cigar is one hour and forty five minutes. I had to correct the burn a few times but the draw was good. I got a lot of smoke from the cigar. The firm ash is light colored, almost silvery gray. To me this cigar was medium to full flavored and medium bodied.

Would I buy this cigar again? No. This cigar is almost impossible to get, and I liked the Drac better.

Appearance: 7 / 10
Construction: 7 / 10
Draw: 7 / 10
Burn: 6 / 10
Smoke & ash: 8 / 10
Aroma first part: 7 / 10
Aroma second part: 7 / 10
Aroma third part: 8 / 10
[Reply]
boonedoggle 10:57 AM 08-08-2010
Sweet review. I'm still yet to try either one of these. My expectations of any new Tat is so high these days, it seems like it will be hard to be subjective.
[Reply]
bscottskangum 11:18 AM 08-08-2010
I have one of these sitting that I have been waiting to try
[Reply]
kelmac07 11:41 AM 08-08-2010
Nice review Ferdie. Most people perferred the Boris over the Drac....hmmmm.
[Reply]
elderboy02 12:52 PM 08-08-2010
Nice review. I love these sticks.
[Reply]
klipsch 03:53 PM 08-08-2010
I LOVE these!!!
[Reply]
Adriftpanda 04:05 PM 08-08-2010
Originally Posted by klipsch:
I LOVE these!!!
Hey, me too!!!! Too bad, I'm not gonna crack my box anytime soon.:-)
[Reply]
MiamiE 04:45 PM 08-08-2010
I love them also. Had to move a fiver though. :-)
[Reply]
BeerAdvocate 07:31 PM 08-08-2010
Nice eview. I liked the Boris more than the Drac
[Reply]
akumushi 07:36 PM 08-08-2010
I liked the one I had a lot, maybe not enough to justify the ~$20 price tag I've seen on these lately, but it was a great cigar.
[Reply]
Up