Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Good Eats>Bombed by the Wifey
:eevis 03:00 PM 07-27-2009
So I got home today, and noticed this in my driveway!

Looks like I am going to get to build me a couple o' new drum smokers!! THinking about doing one with a cigar theme! Updates will follow in the newar future!
[Reply]
TheTraveler 05:09 PM 07-27-2009
Mmmmmm, smokers.

Let's see, you've got your smoked turkey, smoked steaks, smoked chicken, smoked rack of lamb, smoked ribs ...

:-) :-)

I've gotta stay out of the Good Eats forums or I'll lose it!
[Reply]
bowhnter 05:33 PM 07-27-2009
Nice! So simple and they work so well. Keep us posted on the builds
[Reply]
:eevis 05:33 PM 07-27-2009
Just saw this on facebook :-)

Mrs. :eevis: 2 perfect 55 gallon drums + 1 busy smoker-building husband = 1 smoker for the lake and another smoker for the house, thus bringing our smoker/grill count to 5.....I think Lee may need a BBQ intervention

She loves it :-)
[Reply]
ucla695 07:45 PM 07-27-2009
Nice!! Gotta like drum smokers. Let us know how it turns out. :-)
[Reply]
cort 08:16 PM 07-27-2009
Sweet!! I wanna a UDS soo bad. I think your wife just motivated me into finding myself a drum.:-)
[Reply]
fxpose 07:58 AM 07-28-2009
Nice! ......2 separate smokers or a double barrel?
[Reply]
:eevis 08:21 PM 08-07-2009
Well, finally got around to buring out and cleaning the first one! Geez, took me long enough. Also got on two coats of high temp black. Tomorrow, I am hoping to add on the green. Shamrocks will come later! THis one is the one for my parents cottage, it's first cook will be the 22nd, so I can't wait to finish it up :-)

Cigar themed one is next :-)
[Reply]
Opusfxd 11:35 AM 08-08-2009
Um, progress pics???

I can't wait to find me a drum.
[Reply]
:eevis 12:07 PM 08-08-2009

Fire in the hole! First barrel getting it's second burning

Two coats of the high-Temp Black. Gonna burn the lids tonight, get it painted and hopefully be able to give it the Green Paint tomorrow!
[Reply]
:eevis 08:48 AM 08-29-2009
Well, got the first one finished after a few delays. Brought it up to my parent campsite for a trial run of a couple of fatties.

Of course I had to watch it to make sure it was running right!

After the cook and dinner, got to get a little time in with my little man, doing one of our favorite things!

Looking forward to my first big cook, sorry for no food pics
[Reply]
MedicCook 08:55 AM 08-29-2009
Looks like a good time Lee. :-)
[Reply]
cle_smoker 09:11 AM 08-29-2009
That is awesome! :-)
[Reply]
dunng 09:19 AM 08-29-2009
Very cool! :-)

Are the instructions anywhere on the process of converting them?
[Reply]
:eevis 09:26 AM 08-29-2009
Originally Posted by MedicCook:
Looks like a good time Lee. :-)
It got even better the next moring. Nice calm lake, went out in my parent paddle boat, got 8 bass including a 21 incher, which is real big for that lake! Followed up by a real nice suprise of pancakes and bacon, a great follow up to some hungover fishing! :-)
[Reply]
:eevis 09:38 AM 08-29-2009
Originally Posted by dunng:
Very cool! :-)

Are the instructions anywhere on the process of converting them?
THe way I do it is find a food safe 55 gallon drum. Make sure that it has Only contaied something that is safe to ingest. THe ones that I get contained fruit juice concentrate.
I then drill four 1.5" holes three inches up from the bottom, which will then be used for the vents at the bottom for temp control, i just get caps to close them off. ANd then drill 3-4 holes of the same size in the lid
Then I burn them out twice to get rid of the exterior paing and the interior liner. I usually break down a pallet each time, since I get them free up the street.

Next drill 3-4 holes at the about 26-28" from the bottom. You will then use this holes for the bolts that you will use to hold your cooking grate. THese drums hold a 22.5" weber grate perfectly

Also I drill a hole that i place a thermometer in.

you can either get some hig temp paint for the outside, or like i do, two coats of high temp grill paint, and then add regular metal paint for the color. It seems to hold real well.

in the bottom of the drum, it put 2-3 fire bricks that i put a charcoal grate on, also from a weber kettle. and get a couple of pieces of expanded steel and create a ring that sits right on the grate. THis is going to hold the charcoal. It is usually about 12-15 inches tall. Mine can hold about 10lbs of unlit coals, plus a chimney full of lit coals. Add a handle to the lid and you are are set to smoke. I can usually get about 10-12 hours of 250* cooking out of the 10lbs plus the lit chimney!

Just make sure that any hadware that you use is stainless steel and not zinc plated, as zinc fumes ain't the healthiest thing for ya!

If you have any questions, PM me. Enjoy!
[Reply]
dunng 09:42 AM 08-29-2009
Thanks! :-)

I found a few videos on YouTube as well.
[Reply]
Steve 09:53 PM 09-01-2009
:-):-)

Originally Posted by :eevis:
Well, got the first one finished after a few delays. Brought it up to my parent campsite for a trial run of a couple of fatties.

After the cook and dinner, got to get a little time in with my little man, doing one of our favorite things!

Looking forward to my first big cook, sorry for no food pics

[Reply]
dentonparrots 02:18 PM 09-02-2009
Looks like you guys know how to have fun!
[Reply]
Up