Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Page 1 of 2
1 2 >
General Discussion>Bar-ware Question
Robulous78 04:21 PM 12-05-2012
So I am watching the 3rd Season of Boardwalk Empire and I have noticed that those with money seem to keep their Whiskey's in Decanters rather than in the Bottle...

Is this just a status difference or does the Decanter provide any benefit to the libation itself?

Thank you for you time,

Rob
[Reply]
dwoodward 04:44 PM 12-05-2012
Probably just for aesthetics

Maybe also for privacy of your brand of choice.

Couldn't tell ya for sure. I know with wine it's for filtering... Don't really think whiskey would need to be filtered tho, unless it's fresh from your backyard radiator. lol
[Reply]
Robulous78 04:47 PM 12-05-2012
I thought it might have something to do with aeration of the Whiskey, or perhaps the crystal (as I assume that is what they are made) adds something to the flavor...

Thanks Derrick for your input... I hadn't thought of the "privacy of your brand issue" May be a good way to store moonshine without the stigma :-)
[Reply]
pnoon 04:55 PM 12-05-2012
Derrick got an almost perfect score. :-)

Crystal bottles are for show. Brand privacy could be a motivator but that varies by the individual.

Decanting wine is not for filtering. It is for aeration or oxygenation - hence the term letting a wine breathe. The process allows the wine to open up and display its full character and body. Spirits do not change with decanting/aeration.
[Reply]
replicant_argent 04:56 PM 12-05-2012
Originally Posted by Robulous78:
I thought it might have something to do with aeration of the Whiskey, or perhaps the crystal (as I assume that is what they are made) adds something to the flavor...

Thanks Derrick for your input... I hadn't thought of the "privacy of your brand issue" May be a good way to store moonshine without the stigma :-)
Lead, if you use the right decanter. :-)

If you have your whiskey or rum or wine in a barrel or cask, and don't wish to have a bottling step, you need a vessel.
[Reply]
Robulous78 05:02 PM 12-05-2012
Thanks Peter & Pete... Was just wondering if there was a reason why we don't typically see them anymore...

If you don't mind Peter, can you leave this thread open? I have a home bar and if I have any further questions I'd like to post them here... Thanks...

My next question, anyone know a good place to get cheap bar mats? Like the ones with the little pegs for spills? I know they are often given away as promotion for bars to use but if you try to buy them as an individual they typically run about 25 bucks give or take...

Maybe someone on here owns a bar and has a few they wouldn't mind getting rid of?

Thanks again Gentlemen...
[Reply]
replicant_argent 05:05 PM 12-05-2012
http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_trks...at=0&_from=R40
[Reply]
Robulous78 05:11 PM 12-05-2012
Thanks Pete... I often forget about the Bay... I don't have an account with them and have never done business with them... I know many people do but I guess I am a dinosaur in that regard...
[Reply]
dwoodward 05:12 PM 12-05-2012
Thanks Pete... I often forget about the Bay... I don't have an account with them and have never done business with them... I know many people do but I guess I am a dinosaur in that regard...
On Ebay, you deal with other people directly, ebay is just an online marketplace that allows purchases to happen.

For another good source tho:

I've ordered lots of stuff from this website before... Check em out.

http://www.barsupplies.com/biggie-mats-p-12924.html
[Reply]
bighairlogo 05:16 PM 12-05-2012
I got a crystal whiskey glass set and decanter I'll pick it up for you during the holidays Rob
[Reply]
Robulous78 05:18 PM 12-05-2012
Originally Posted by dwoodward:
On Ebay, you deal with other people directly, ebay is just an online marketplace that allows purchases to happen.

For another good source tho:

I've ordered lots of stuff from this website before... Check em out.

http://www.barsupplies.com/biggie-mats-p-12924.html
Awesome looking website... thanks for the reco... :-)
[Reply]
Robulous78 05:18 PM 12-05-2012
Originally Posted by bighairlogo:
I got a crystal whiskey glass set and decanter I'll pick it up for you during the holidays Rob
Oh Wow... Thanks Tyler... !!!! :-)
[Reply]
Robulous78 05:22 PM 12-05-2012
Originally Posted by pnoon:
Derrick got an almost perfect score. :-)

Crystal bottles are for show. Brand privacy could be a motivator but that varies by the individual.

Decanting wine is not for filtering. It is for aeration or oxygenation - hence the term letting a wine breathe. The process allows the wine to open up and display its full character and body. Spirits do not change with decanting/aeration.
I don't mean to be pedantic, just for my own knowledge, is there a difference between Aeration and oxygenation?
[Reply]
pnoon 05:25 PM 12-05-2012
I don't mean to be pedantic, just for my own knowledge, is there a difference between Aeration and oxygenation?
Practically speaking, no.
[Reply]
bobarian 05:27 PM 12-05-2012
Was just wondering if there was a reason why we don't typically see them anymore...
Lead leaching is the reason not to store spirits in a crystal decanter.

Wine is decanted to aerate and drunk immediately, not stored. :-)
[Reply]
Robulous78 05:30 PM 12-05-2012
Originally Posted by pnoon:
Practically speaking, no.
Good... so I am not a total ignoramus... :-)
[Reply]
Robulous78 05:31 PM 12-05-2012
Originally Posted by bobarian:
Lead leaching is the reason not to store spirits in a crystal decanter.

Wine is decanted to aerate and drunk immediately, not stored. :-)
Does all Crystal contain lead?
[Reply]
SvilleKid 05:33 PM 12-05-2012
The more air space you have in a bottle of bourbon, the faster it will oxidize and go down hill. If you don't buy this fact, take your mostly empty bottle of bourbon, and let it sit for 4-6 weeks. Then try it against a fresh opened bottle of the same bourbon. You will quickly throw the old out. That is the reason it is recommended that when you near the end of a bottle of bourbon, either drink it quickly, or have some friends over to help finish it off quickly.

Because of this reaction, I usually only open and finish one bottle of bourbon at a time. And I don't storing it long-term in anything that allows more air space than necessary (this would include a decanter).
[Reply]
bighairlogo 05:34 PM 12-05-2012
no not all crystal contains lead anymore
[Reply]
Robulous78 05:36 PM 12-05-2012
Originally Posted by SvilleKid:
The more air space you have in a bottle of bourbon, the faster it will oxidize and go down hill. If you don't buy this fact, take your mostly empty bottle of bourbon, and let it sit for 4-6 weeks. Then try it against a fresh opened bottle of the same bourbon. You will quickly throw the old out. That is the reason it is recommended that when you near the end of a bottle of bourbon, either drink it quickly, or have some friends over to help finish it off quickly.

Because of this reaction, I usually only open and finish one bottle of bourbon at a time. And I don't storing it long-term in anything that allows more air space than necessary (this would include a decanter).
Thanks for the info Sville, and I am a fan of your Avatars as well... :-)

so would the same go for the air in the bottle? would it then not make sense to put your sprite in whichever vessel that has less air-space?
[Reply]
Page 1 of 2
1 2 >
Up