Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Page 2 of 3
< 12 3 >
All Cigar Discussion>Padron Question
Trouble 09:30 PM 02-12-2010
Thanks. Someone said they spoke to Jorge and he said they were all the same blend. I have been wondering if this was true. Would have been nice if some aged 000's would taste like a 1926...
[Reply]
Neuromancer 04:43 AM 02-13-2010
Try the 1964 PAN's & PAM's, and the Serie 1926 (Mad or Nat)...they're really great cigars...
[Reply]
longknocker 04:59 AM 02-13-2010
Series 1926 Nat- My Favorite Cigar Of All Time!:-):-)
[Reply]
darkninja67 08:16 AM 02-13-2010
I like the 3000 and 6000 a lot. Do not try the 1964 or 1926 lines though :-)
[Reply]
njstone 03:01 PM 02-13-2010
another nod to the Londres, here! I also like the 2000 a lot. But my understanding is that they are all the same blend, just different sizes with the x000 series being given more ascetically-pleasing wrappers.

I personally think all of the regular (i.e. non Anny) Padrons need a decent amount of humidor time before they are at their best, to my tastes at least. But those Mexican-grown wrappers are mighty tasty!
[Reply]
The Postman 07:53 PM 02-15-2010
Another vote for the Londres. Don't let the smaller ring guage fool you, they pack in the flavor!!
[Reply]
Emjaysmash 08:57 PM 02-15-2010
Originally Posted by njstone:
another nod to the Londres, here! I also like the 2000 a lot. But my understanding is that they are all the same blend, just different sizes with the x000 series being given more ascetically-pleasing wrappers.

I personally think all of the regular (i.e. non Anny) Padrons need a decent amount of humidor time before they are at their best, to my tastes at least. But those Mexican-grown wrappers are mighty tasty!
There must be something I'm missing becuase this is the second time I've heard that the Thousand line has Mexican tobacco in it...

From my understanding it is a Nicaraguan puro.
[Reply]
njstone 08:27 AM 02-16-2010
Originally Posted by Emjaysmash:
There must be something I'm missing becuase this is the second time I've heard that the Thousand line has Mexican tobacco in it...

From my understanding it is a Nicaraguan puro.
I think all regular-line Padrons use Mexican-grown wrappers from the San Andreas valley, and I know the PAM '64 maduro does as well (not sure about the other Anny series).

The Padrons don't advertise this because there are so many people that prefer the term "puro" to be attached to the cigars, but they've been growing their wrapper in Mexico for years and I'd guess they'd tell you if you asked (the family, not some company mook).
[Reply]
Robert Mabona 08:45 AM 02-16-2010
who else could be a source of info as the padron has no reps, only family?
[Reply]
Col. Kurtz 08:54 AM 02-16-2010
I think all regular-line Padrons use Mexican-grown wrappers from the San Andreas valley, and I know the PAM '64 maduro does as well (not sure about the other Anny series).

The Padrons don't advertise this because there are so many people that prefer the term "puro" to be attached to the cigars, but they've been growing their wrapper in Mexico for years and I'd guess they'd tell you if you asked (the family, not some company mook).
Really? :-)
[Reply]
68TriShield 08:58 AM 02-16-2010

I've smoked with Jorge Padron three times over the years and he never told me this.He has always told me it is all the exact same tobacco with the only difference being aging and selection.

FWIW I have no stake in this discussion,purely repeating what I was told.
[Reply]
Whipper Snapper 09:27 AM 02-16-2010
Originally Posted by 68TriShield:
I've smoked with Jorge Padron three times over the years and he never told me this.He has always told me it is all the exact same tobacco with the only difference being aging and selection.

FWIW I have no stake in this discussion,purely repeating what I was told.
The odd thing is Dave, when i used to work at a B&M, I heard the exact same thing coming from all my fellow employees. They said the padrons had mexican wrappers.

I've no idea if there's any merit to the statement or not.
[Reply]
Emjaysmash 09:29 AM 02-16-2010
Well, I've looked everywhere to try to find the answer, and it remains a mystery. I had just assumed it was a Nicaraguan puro...

I am going to e-mail the company and see if we can get a definitive answer.
[Reply]
njstone 11:29 AM 02-16-2010
I was told this info by another cigar maker (not a rep) who I'd rather not name because I'm sure he wouldn't want to publically say anything that could be taken as a knock no Padron ... but you would all know the name of the cigar maker I'm talking about.

Anyway, he said that he's toured the Padron's facilities, knows the family, and enjoys the product himself ... the only trouble he has with them is that (in his opinion), they are less than fully honest by letting people believe their tobacco is all grown in Nica when in fact the wrappers are grown in Mexico.

Again--I have nothing against Mexican tobacco. Pepin's new Murcielago (EO Brand) uses a Mexican binder and wrapper, and I'm told it's an awesome cigar (have not smoked one). And I don't care where the grow the wrappers for the Padrons, as I love Padrons. If I learned they encourage cockroaches to crawl all over the PAN wrapper leaf, it would not change the fact that I love that cigar.
[Reply]
Emjaysmash 11:48 AM 02-16-2010
I was told this info by another cigar maker (not a rep) who I'd rather not name because I'm sure he wouldn't want to publically say anything that could be taken as a knock no Padron ... but you would all know the name of the cigar maker I'm talking about.

Anyway, he said that he's toured the Padron's facilities, knows the family, and enjoys the product himself ... the only trouble he has with them is that (in his opinion), they are less than fully honest by letting people believe their tobacco is all grown in Nica when in fact the wrappers are grown in Mexico.

Again--I have nothing against Mexican tobacco. Pepin's new Murcielago (EO Brand) uses a Mexican binder and wrapper, and I'm told it's an awesome cigar (have not smoked one). And I don't care where the grow the wrappers for the Padrons, as I love Padrons. If I learned they encourage cockroaches to crawl all over the PAN wrapper leaf, it would not change the fact that I love that cigar.
I unfortunately have a bias against Mexican tobacco. Dont really know why, but I don't like it. What I really just want to get to is the answer. I will continue to smoke my favorite brand, even if they have mexican tobacco in them, I'd just like some honesty on the part of Padron.
[Reply]
Col. Kurtz 12:05 PM 02-16-2010
All this talk of Mexican tobacco made me go to the local taqueria for tacos de chorizo con todo and Pacifico. :-):-)

Oh, now I'm smoking a nappy looking natural Padron Delicia. Seriously, this thing looks like a piece of re-bar. Yum! Viva Mexico!
[Reply]
MiamiE 12:44 PM 02-16-2010
Padron 2000, Londres, Exclusivo and Imperial '64, and No. 2 and No. 6 '26 are my favorites!!!
[Reply]
CigarNut 04:29 PM 02-16-2010
After reading all of this I sent an email to Jeff Padron; here is the response I received from him:
Originally Posted by Jeff Padron:
Originally Posted by CigarNut:
There is a lot of discussion regarding Padron cigars on another forum and I thought I would go to the source for answers. These are all questions and comments from different users. I would appreciate it if you could help clear everything up:
  • ...some of the thousand series, like the 5000 Maduro and 7000 Maduro. How are these "others" like the Ambassador Maduro and the Executive etc?
  • I have read that all padrons are exactly the same blend with the 000 series being aged 2.5 years, 64 ann 4 years, 26 ann 5 years and family reserve 45 ann 10 years. Does aging tobacco then rolling the cigars as padron does differ from rolling tobacco and aging the cigar? I guess my question is... If I age some 3000's for 3 years will it taste like a 26ann?
  • I have heard the 000's age very well but the anniversary do not as they are already aged. The question is how well do the 000's age...
  • All regular-line Padrons use Mexican-grown wrappers from the San Andreas valley, and I know the PAM '64 maduro does as well (not sure about the other Anny series). Padron does not advertise this but they've been growing their wrapper in Mexico for years and I'd guess they'd tell you if you asked (the family, not some company mook).
Thanks!
All the tobacco in the Padron Traditional Line is the same, the only difference is in the variation of sizes.

You heard correctly, although the aging process only occurs when they are in the "Pilones" which are the piles of tobacco put together to ferment. Some people believe letting the cigars sit will continue the fermenting process which will then become a better cigar. We believe our cigars are at there best when we box them and should be smoked at that time. With all that said, letting a cigar from the Padron line sit will NOT make it taste like a 64 or 26 etc.

We produce all of our own tobacco in Nicaragua. Padron using Mexican wrappers has become a widely and quite frankly an uncontrollable rumor. Why people make these claims, I do not know.
I think that should just about do it...
[Reply]
Trouble 05:00 PM 02-16-2010
Very interesting. Nice work.
[Reply]
njstone 05:57 PM 02-16-2010
Originally Posted by CigarNut:
After reading all of this I sent an email to Jeff Padron; here is the response I received from him:I think that should just about do it...
Cool, thanks for posting this email! I always think it's weird when cigar makers say that aging rolled cigars doesn't make a difference, when almost all cigar smokers know it does, but whatever. I'll have to email my guy about the Mexican wrapper thing. Like I said, I don't care either way, but if it is true then this was a flat out lie, which would be sad. So hopefully it's not.
[Reply]
Page 2 of 3
< 12 3 >
Up