Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Page 3 of 3
< 123
All Cigar Discussion>Wanted to Throw up :pu
dox47 02:58 AM 02-18-2010
I recently resisted the urge to say something similar to a retailer near my house who had Hemingway Short Stories marked at 14.99 each. He's the only cigar retailer on the island I live on and we have a fairly wealthy demographic, so I imagine he must sell a few at that price, but still... I drive the 10 miles to a nearby reservation who's smoke shop carries the Oliva line at reasonable prices, or make a point of hitting a few choice shops when I have to go into Seattle for some other reason.
[Reply]
GreekGodX 03:55 AM 02-18-2010
These kind of markups suck but it is all about business.
[Reply]
ScottieM 02:40 PM 02-18-2010
Originally Posted by bobarian:
And there is the "X" factor. A markup of 50% over cost is neither unexpected nor out of line. :-)
My favorite Store does this with his Top shelf Cigars like Opus, Padron Anny's etc. not to mention his Cigar selection overall is not the cheapest in the Area but he's fairly new to the Cigar Business and not an authorized retailer of much of anything. What he does provide to make up the difference is a great place to smoke a Cigar, Great Customer Service and more of a Club like Atmosphere that his competition does not provide.
[Reply]
Cigary 05:32 PM 02-18-2010
The reality is what the Manufacturer wants the business to charge. If the Fuentes were to find out that the merchant is charging that much they will endanger their right to sell those cigars. I know too many B&M's around the country that tread "lightly" on these grounds. The merchant is lucky to be able to score those cigars and then to turn around and charge that kind of pricing to the customer base is not within the purview of the merchant,,,it is what the manufacturer allows the merchant to charge.

While I agree that we as the consumer have the right to spend our $$$ where we want it is a slap in the face to the knowledgeable consumer when they know they are being ripped. The Merchant would have to prove to the Fuentes that they had to charge that high a price on these cigars in order sell them as has been pointed out the Fuente Family frowns on the consumer being taken advantage of. It is their product and it is their right to hold the merchant accountable for the sale of the cigars.
[Reply]
bobarian 06:05 PM 02-18-2010
Apparenly you missed the post that said they bought these at full retail and then marked up from that price. They are an authorized Fuente dealer but not an Anejo or OpusX dealer. Fuente has several tiers of dealers. :-)
[Reply]
neoflex 06:10 PM 02-18-2010
Originally Posted by bobarian:
Apparenly you missed the post that said they bought these at full retail and then marked up from that price. They are an authorized Fuente dealer but not an Anejo or OpusX dealer. Fuente has several tiers of dealers. :-)
Doesn't it depend on how many, It's a Boy/Girl boxes you buy? I kid I kid:-)
[Reply]
Page 3 of 3
< 123
Up