Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Page 35 of 42
« First < 25333435 3637 > Last »
Good Eats>Sous vide
icehog3 04:16 PM 01-02-2018
Originally Posted by stearns:
Come visit Denver and I'll cook up a full rack of Colorado Lamb :-)
As long as we can stop by the "herb" store on the way to your place. :-)
[Reply]
stearns 07:44 AM 01-05-2018
The brisket turned out amazing, ended up in there for about 50 hours at 133*, followed by about 4 minutes per side under the broiler. In the bag was the brisket with salt and pepper, the smoked pearl onions/sliced garlic and a few pads of butter to keep things lubricated. I sliced it up about 1/2 inch thick after it came out of the broiler, but for eating there was no need for a knife, a fork cut through it no problem. There wasn't much of a noticeable smokey taste, which wasn't completely unexpected, the smoking gun just doesn't impart flavor the way I'd like. I will definitely be cooking brisket this time/temp again :-)

[Reply]
BigAsh 07:49 AM 01-05-2018
nice!...:-)
[Reply]
BigAsh 08:04 AM 01-05-2018
nice!...:-)
[Reply]
mosesbotbol 08:05 AM 01-05-2018
That brisket sounds great. How many lbs was it?
[Reply]
stearns 08:08 AM 01-05-2018
Originally Posted by mosesbotbol:
That brisket sounds great. How many lbs was it?
[Reply]
CigarNut 08:20 AM 01-05-2018
Looks awesome, Ben!
[Reply]
Tio Gato 03:48 PM 01-05-2018
Beautiful Ben! Maybe some smoked sea salt instead of plain next time.:-)
[Reply]
jonumberone 07:52 AM 01-07-2018
Very nice, Ben. The slices look a little like corned beef.

Doing a 5lb leg of lamb today.
Simple Rosemary, garlic, salt & pepper seasoning.
130° for 8hrs.
[Reply]
stearns 07:32 AM 01-08-2018
Originally Posted by jonumberone:
Very nice, Ben. The slices look a little like corned beef.

Doing a 5lb leg of lamb today.
Simple Rosemary, garlic, salt & pepper seasoning.
130° for 8hrs.
When I did a leg a few months back it was one of the best things I've ever cooked. I cooked mine for 25 hours at 131*, then another half hour in the oven at 450*. I'm curious how a shorter cook time will turn out
[Reply]
GreekGodX 08:55 AM 01-10-2018
Might have to try that brisket. Dom I’m sure that lamb was perfect.
[Reply]
BigAsh 11:03 AM 01-10-2018
Originally Posted by GreekGodX:
Might have to try that brisket. Dom I’m sure that lamb was perfect.
I'm taking the high road here....:-)
[Reply]
Flynnster 05:25 PM 01-10-2018
I've got two chuckeye roasts going in tonight, planning on around 20 hours at 136. We will see how they come out!
[Reply]
Chainsaw13 10:28 PM 01-19-2018
12 hours into a cook of pork tongues destined to be in tacos for tomorrow's dinner. Got about 2.5lbs of tongue, a couple shallots, cloves of garlic, tomatoes, chipotles, pinch of cumin and Mexican oregano and a couple teaspoons of pork fat.

Will peel the tongues when finished and then chop. The liquid will be strained, then puréed to be added back to the tongue pieces as they lightly fry to crisp up.
[Reply]
Tio Gato 02:22 AM 01-20-2018
Mmmmm tongue!:-) Pictures of the finished stuff would be great.
[Reply]
Chainsaw13 03:53 PM 01-20-2018
Originally Posted by Tio Gato:
Mmmmm tongue!:-) Pictures of the finished stuff would be great.
Here you go, the money shot. Cooked for 28 hours at 170°F. Super tender. I used the Serious Eats recipe, with a few mods.
Attached: IMG_0074.JPG (82.2 KB) 
[Reply]
Tio Gato 04:59 PM 01-20-2018
F'n Beautiful! As my Brooklyn buddy would say.:-) Thanks for the pictures. I so need to try that.
[Reply]
stearns 10:07 AM 01-24-2018
Something I've never said before, but that tongue looks delicious :-)

Took a 2LB tri-ip out yesterday and rubbed it down with some chimichurri sauce and vac sealed, the plan was to cook it overnight and leave in the fridge today to reheat/sear for dinner, but I completely forgot to put it in at night. Decided to just let it cook all day while I'm at work, I usually cook tri-tip at 130* for 6 hours, I've done it for 3 before when we were rushed into an early dinner and it was noticeably tougher, interested to see how 10-11 hours treats it.

Also up this week are some "smoked" pork loin chops, bagged those up last night and am very excited to cook them later this week. I'll definitely be posting up pictures and results of that one :-)
[Reply]
stearns 08:16 AM 01-25-2018
Steak came out fine, no real noticeable difference from 6 to 10 hours, definitely not like when it was shorted 3 hours. I'll stick with 6 but not worry too much if it goes over in the future

"smoked" pork chops up tonight
[Reply]
stearns 07:59 AM 01-26-2018
Pork chops last night were a success. Up until a few months ago I've never in my life liked pork chops, I always thought of them as "weird steak" and so tough they needed oodles of gravy, which I'm not a huge fan of anyways unless it's thanksgiving. I've only made them once so far in the SV and they were the best I've ever had, but still had room for improvement.

Fast forward to a few weeks ago, Adam (TG) sent me a big bag of smoked dried onions to play around with, smoked for 16 hours turning 5LB of onions into one mostly-full gallon ziplock. The smell from this bag is intoxicating, in the most delicious of ways. This was my first try at cooking with these, I had no idea how much to use so I cut up a bigger 2LB pork loin into individual chops, salt and pepper then took out 1/4 C of the onions (wish I had weighed it, next time). I also smashed up a few cloves of roasted garlic I had left over from a head I cooked up to make some brie dip last weekend. Put all of these in the vac bag then let it sit for a few days (I knew I wouldn't have time to prep day-of). Last night I let them cook for 2 hours at 140*, then remove the onions and garlic and pat them dry and put under the broiler at 500* for about 3 minutes per side. Most of them got an herb butter parm mix slathered on top, but I did keep one as-is for control.

These were the new best pork chops I've ever had. The smokey onion taste permeated through all of the pork, not just the sections with direct contact. The one without the herb butter had the most noticeable up-front smokey flavor, however the rest with the butter were divine - the smoke was not overpowering and was truly a compliment to the porky goodness and the buttery goodness. I will call this a success, I think the 1/4 C was the right amount of onions for this amount of meat. I think the sear could have been done better, I don't know if I just cut them unevenly but the broiler didn't get as even of a burn as it usually does, next time I'll use a cast iron or really hot grill. Next up will be some sort of steak with these, I'll post an update when I get a chance to play around more. Thanks Adam!

[Reply]
Page 35 of 42
« First < 25333435 3637 > Last »
Up