Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
General Discussion>Bucket list event
MajorCaptSilly 07:19 PM 03-06-2012
Haven't been around so much for a few months. Busy busy! Anyway, anyone who knows me knows I'm a huge Dave Alvin fan. I've listened to his solo music, The Blasters, X, and pretty much anything he touches since I was in my 20's. I've always wanted to see him live but he's never performed close enough to me or I've been too busy.

I'm subscribed to email from his website. I've been getting a lot of email from them lately and have been too busy to read most of it. It's mostly about a deluxe edition album of his Eleven Eleven release from last year. I had a few minutes of downtime at work today and decided to check my personal email. There was a Dave Alvin email in there so I decided to take a look. Along with info on his album release next month, there was some tour information. I glanced at it and saw Valparaiso, IN in the dates! Well, Valparaiso is only about an hour from me. I then looked at the date. It is this Saturday! My heart sank because I thought there was no way tickets would be available. Just for giggles, I went to the venue's website and checked. Well, there were still some tickets available on the main floor!

My heart sank again. I remembered my wife had plans for us on Saturday night. I decided to call her and see if I could persuade her to change our plans.

I'm going to see Dave Alvin! This is a like Elvis was for my mom. I feel like a teenager. The flat tire I got on the way home from work didn't even phase me! Anyway, I'm super stoked and wanted to share. I'll let you all know how it goes.

MCS
[Reply]
T.G 07:27 PM 03-06-2012
Cool!

Dave Alvin is very underrated as a guitar player and band leader, IMO. I've seen him both with The Blasters (a few times) and solo - always a great show and a stellar performance by Dave.

Enjoy the show, Scott. It should be a blast.
[Reply]
racerX 07:34 PM 03-06-2012
There is nothing better than having a music experience dream come true. I'm very happy for you. I was at the cabo wabo last week and Sammy showed up for a suprise show. I know it's old school butt rock, but I can relate to your excitement.

Thanks for sharing. Enjoy the show.
[Reply]
Ogre 07:38 PM 03-06-2012
Sweet, hope you have a great time.
[Reply]
E.J. 08:16 PM 03-06-2012
Excited for you. Have fun & enjoy!
[Reply]
icehog3 09:36 PM 03-06-2012
Enjoy the show, Scott....glad you read your e-mail! :-)
[Reply]
CigarNut 09:55 PM 03-06-2012
Very cool -- enjoy!
[Reply]
MajorCaptSilly 10:33 AM 03-11-2012
What a great show! This was the last US date before he does some shows in the UK. He played a longer set than he's played at the shows before and was very talkative. He's lost 2 band members in the last couple years and his brother, Phil Alvin has been in the hospital and was recently released. This explained the intensity in the delivery of his songs. He beat the hell out of that guitar last night!

Here's the setlist:

Blackjack David
Harlan County Line
Boss of the Blues
Black Rose of Texas
Long Black Cadillac
King of California
Abiline
Run Conejo Run
Blue Wing
Ashgrove
Dry River