Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Page 1 of 3
1 23 >
Accessory Discussion / Reviews>Edgestar 28 bottle & Humidity
Bill86 02:35 PM 06-29-2011
New to the whole Edgestar/Vino thing.

I'm still struggling with the Coolidor to edgestar transition. Basically the edgestar holds temperature good. Not humidity though. It's a 28 bottle and I have 2 pounds of beads in it. More than enough. It's at 56 RH/66 temperature right now.

So I tossed in 2 shotglasses of distilled water, a 8oz rocks glass and 4 69 RH boveda packs placed all around the edgestar. Also I put an Oust fan in there for good measure.

I did just recharge the beads as well. So there's really no reason it shouldn't be 65 RH.

It is still at 56-59 RH. I'm not sure why. Suggestions?

I'm waiting on shelves for it, so right now it's just boxes and the Edgestar. No shelves or drawers.

I see that drip spout in the back does occasionally drip a drop or two of water, do I plug it up? Where will the water go if I plug it?
[Reply]
kickerb 02:51 PM 06-29-2011
I have no experience with these, but I can offer up the first thing that came to my mind.

-Is the door getting a good seal?
[Reply]
Bill86 02:57 PM 06-29-2011
Originally Posted by kickerb:
I have no experience with these, but I can offer up the first thing that came to my mind.

-Is the door getting a good seal?
I thought about that too, here's the thing it's holding temperature.

It's in a 74 degree room, the edgestar is at 65 degrees.

I think the temperature will go down too as the days go on because all the cigars are at ~70 degrees. The edgestar is set to about 62-63 degrees. So it is fighting the higher temperature of the cigars. It's full of cigar too, so it's got a lot to fight.

Before anyone mentions the hygro...it's good. I had it in the coolidor reading 65 RH and 70 degrees. Which is correct.
[Reply]
DPD6030 03:37 PM 06-29-2011
Bill check this link out. It has some great info.

http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/showth...highlight=vino
[Reply]
Bill86 03:47 PM 06-29-2011
So apparently you cannot just store boxes on the bottom? Is this long term or what? I swear I've seen edgestars and vinos without shelves and just boxes. I'll probably still do it till the shelves come in. 7-14 days shouldn't cause any problems.

Still not sure that thread addresses a full issue on humidity....hmmm there's yet another link that says plugging it can solve humidity issues.
[Reply]
Sherlockholms 04:24 PM 06-29-2011
do you have it plugged?
[Reply]
Bill86 04:25 PM 06-29-2011
Originally Posted by Sherlockholms:
do you have it plugged?
I was hesitant to do this as there was water in the back tray. I just plugged it now.

I also put in one of the metal shelves to keep the boxes off the floor of the edgestar.

We'll see what happens.
[Reply]
Sherlockholms 04:29 PM 06-29-2011
I think that will help, I assume its thermoelectric. Plugging the hole will help allot with keeping RH. I have read of people storing boxes on the bottom and the condensation builds up and soaks the boxes. If you put a tray of beads or a bag of beads over the hole it will help to catch some of the moisture.
[Reply]
Bill86 04:32 PM 06-29-2011
Yeah I put one metal shelf in it for the time being to elevate all of my boxes. So the bottoms got room and there is a 1 lb bag of beads on the bottom.

There is also a 1 lb bag on the top of all my boxes.

The drains plugged with a piece of scotch tape over the hole.

It should be interesting to see if it holds RH now.
[Reply]
borndead1 04:47 PM 06-29-2011
I have 2 Vinotemp 28s. Plugged the drain holes (no condensation problems ever), made some Spanish Cedar shelves, and I use a Cigar Oasis in both of them. Temp and RH are almost always around 68 degrees and 62-65% RH. I'm not a fan of beads.

It's a fun project, but it does take quite a bit of tweaking and playing around with stuff. But...I guess that's part of the fun. It's like a science fair project for an adult. :-)
[Reply]
Bill86 04:53 PM 06-29-2011
Yeah I'm looking to keep mine at 62-64 RH and 64-65 degrees. Hopefully it all works itself out.
[Reply]
borndead1 05:00 PM 06-29-2011
Originally Posted by Bill86:
Yeah I'm looking to keep mine at 62-64 RH and 64-65 degrees. Hopefully it all works itself out.
At that temp your unit will run a lot. I tried 65* for a while and the fan hardly ever shut off. Are you trying to prevent beetle eggs from hatching? I wanted the temp low to combat beetles. But now I just freeze every cigar I buy and set the vino to kick on at 70*. Been about 3 yrs now and no beetle problems.
[Reply]
Bill86 05:08 PM 06-29-2011
Never had beetle problems, I don't ever suspect I will. I'm fine with it running all the time.

Thing is it won't be plugged in for probably 6-8 months out of the year. Just the 4-6 months when it's warm.
[Reply]
borndead1 05:11 PM 06-29-2011
Ahh, I see. Well, have fun with it man. It's definitely a trial and error project. :-)
[Reply]
Bill86 05:12 PM 06-29-2011
Originally Posted by borndead1:
Ahh, I see. Well, have fun with it man. It's definitely a trial and error project. :-)
I've already noticed :-) I'm about to rip my hair out already. Coolidors are so much simpler, if only there was an easy way to control temperature in them.
[Reply]
DPD6030 05:48 PM 06-29-2011
Just send your cigars to me, I'll keep them in my vinotemp. My basement is usually around 62-67 degrees. :-)
[Reply]
big a 07:02 PM 06-29-2011
Originally Posted by Bill86:
I've already noticed :-) I'm about to rip my hair out already. Coolidors are so much simpler, if only there was an easy way to control temperature in them.
I didn't have any problem with mine as i just did what the thread said. I just used tape to close up the plug and let it go. What % of it is filled up with boxes? Mine did get much easier to maintain the more shelves, boxes and cigars i had in it. The bottom gap i filled up with boxes that i broke and threw under there for some extra cedar to help with the humidity. I did use a sponge when seasoning it rather than a shoot glass as i find that works better.
[Reply]
Drez 07:10 PM 06-29-2011
Bill like i told you. Mine with the drain plug taped up would not rise above 58%. After I removed the tape it and added some water it has gone up to 65% and holding steady.

Like mentioned it trial and error.
[Reply]
Bill86 07:33 PM 06-29-2011
Originally Posted by big a:
I didn't have any problem with mine as i just did what the thread said. I just used tape to close up the plug and let it go. What % of it is filled up with boxes? Mine did get much easier to maintain the more shelves, boxes and cigars i had in it. The bottom gap i filled up with boxes that i broke and threw under there for some extra cedar to help with the humidity. I did use a sponge when seasoning it rather than a shoot glass as i find that works better.
100% filled with boxes.

Yes I figured it out, Frank took a bit.

Seems plugging the drain was all I had to do, my question is will there be water now inside the unit?

Plugged in at 62-65 degrees.
[Reply]
Drez 07:44 PM 06-29-2011
Run a piece of clear tape down to a little container to collect the water.

That's how I had it so that it doesn't collect on the bottom of the unit.
[Reply]
Page 1 of 3
1 23 >
Up