Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Accessory Discussion / Reviews>Anyone ever heard of this?
TonyAngels 08:11 PM 07-19-2011
I'm looking into a new humidor and I found a cigar shop that sells them. As I was talking with him over a price I asked him if he seasoned the humidors. He said he did but where I got confused was when he said instead of using distiller water he seasons the humidor with xikar Pg solution. Has anyone ever heard of this ? Or does anyone have any opinion on as to whether this is a good idea or not?
[Reply]
CigarNut 08:19 PM 07-19-2011
PG (Propolyne Glycol) is often used for humidification. It's not the best choice and it's not the worst but it's not great...

It's pretty easy to season your humidor yourself with a sponge dampened with distilled water. Total cost < $2.00 and it usually takes a week or two. Save your money and do it yourself. There are lots of threads here on CA that can provide detailed instructions. You can start here: http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/showthread.php?t=620.

If someone says that they can season a humidor for you in less time, take your business elsewhere...

Once your humidor is seasoned you have a lot of choices for humidification. I am biased and recommend beads (Heartfelt (http://www.heartfeltindustries.com/) or HCM (www.hcmcigarbeads.com).
[Reply]
Ogre 10:02 PM 07-19-2011
:-) do it yourself, that way you know its done right
[Reply]
MrOneEyedBoh 10:48 PM 07-19-2011
yep you can also just get a shot glass, small tupperware container etc anc fill it with DISTILLED water only. Set it in there for 1-2 weeks and rock and roll.
[Reply]
NCRadioMan 11:17 PM 07-19-2011
http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/showthread.php?t=620

Yep, sticky. :-)
[Reply]
TonyAngels 05:05 AM 07-20-2011
Yea I kno bout that read that sticky only thing bout that is I feel like water in the closed humidor for 2 weeks in this hot summer we have in NY I don't want mold
[Reply]
Apoco 06:35 AM 07-20-2011
Originally Posted by TonyAngels:
Yea I kno bout that read that sticky only thing bout that is I feel like water in the closed humidor for 2 weeks in this hot summer we have in NY I don't want mold
What temperature do you keep your living space? Is the humidor going to be placed where it will receive direct sunlight?
Posted via Mobile Device
[Reply]
CigarNut 07:41 AM 07-20-2011
Originally Posted by MrOneEyedBoh:
yep you can also just get a shot glass, small tupperware container etc anc fill it with DISTILLED water only. Set it in there for 1-2 weeks and rock and roll.
A sponge dampened with distilled water works much better than a container (shot glass) full of water.

The shot-glass only has the surface area of the top -- maybe 1" in diameter. A sponge has all those nooks and cranies exposed to air and releases moisture much better and faster... :-)

Distilled water is the only way to go.
[Reply]
area51 08:44 AM 07-20-2011
What I have been doing is warming the distilled water in the microwave and then using the sponge to spread it, then I place an 82 Rh Boveda pack in and let it sit for 3 days. On all 3 humidors I've seasoned, I've never had a problem with this method.
[Reply]
CigarNut 09:14 AM 07-20-2011
Originally Posted by area51:
What I have been doing is warming the distilled water in the microwave and then using the sponge to spread it, then I place an 82 Rh Boveda pack in and let it sit for 3 days. On all 3 humidors I've seasoned, I've never had a problem with this method.
It's not clear from your post, but if you are using the sponge to wipe down the wood then i would recommend not doing this. It's generally not good to apply moisture directly to the wood. Can cause warping, etc. Also, it's too easy for (very small) bits of sponge to get stuck on the rough spots in the wood.

The best way is to just set the sponge in the humi and let it sit. If you are trying to remove dust, etc., then I would recommend a soft brush.

Just my :-)
[Reply]
T.G 09:24 AM 07-20-2011
Originally Posted by CigarNut:
It's not clear from your post, but if you are using the sponge to wipe down the wood then i would recommend not doing this. It's generally not good to apply moisture directly to the wood. Can cause warping, etc. Also, it's too easy for (very small) bits of sponge to get stuck on the rough spots in the wood.

The best way is to just set the sponge in the humi and let it sit. If you are trying to remove dust, etc., then I would recommend a soft brush.

Just my :-)
Michael is wise.

Wiping down with a damp sponge or (paper) towel can cause the grain of the wood to rise, creating a rough surface which can be cosmetically unappealing and, more importantly, damage the wrappers on loose cigars that lack cello, tubes, coffins, etc. And sanding the inside of a humidor is a PITA (I've had to do it).
[Reply]
N2 GOLD 11:16 AM 07-20-2011
Do it yourself so that you know it was done right... Remember he is in sales & they will tell you what ever you want to hear to make that sale good. IMO
[Reply]
Up