Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Page 166 of 199
« First < 66116156164165166 167168176 > Last »
Wine, Beer, and Spirits>The Bourbon Thread!!
icehog3 10:44 AM 06-08-2023
Originally Posted by Porch Dweller:
I've heard that, too. I had some from 2021 (can't remember the batch). It was decent, but nothing special. So I'm curious to see how they've progressed once I open it up.
Curious to hear as well, James, hope it's delish.

Had a little Teresa's last night. Straight Beam peanut funk. :-)

[Reply]
Mikepd 07:31 PM 06-08-2023
Originally Posted by icehog3:
Lucked into a bottle of the new Hardin's Creek release Clermont today. 17 years and 110 proof, and sourced from barrels at the same location they age Booker's barrels. Two versions from other Beam distillery locations will be released in August and September, but as a Booker's junkie, this is the one I really wanted.

What luck of a find Tom! Did you (or anyone else here) try either of last years Hardin's Creek initial releases? I saw the first one (15 year) around $150 and hesitated to pick it up because I grabbed a store pick instead, went back the next day and they were all gone! Then I was shocked when I saw the second release was such a low age statement at 2 years. I'm hoping to find at least one of the 2023 releases to try.
[Reply]
icehog3 08:20 AM 06-09-2023
Originally Posted by Mikepd:
What luck of a find Tom! Did you (or anyone else here) try either of last years Hardin's Creek initial releases? I saw the first one (15 year) around $150 and hesitated to pick it up because I grabbed a store pick instead, went back the next day and they were all gone! Then I was shocked when I saw the second release was such a low age statement at 2 years. I'm hoping to find at least one of the 2023 releases to try.
I have a bottle (sealed) of the Jacob's Well, and I was able to try it from a friend's open bottle. It's a really great pour, think a 15 year Booker's mixed with a 16 year Knob Creek.

The 2 year old Colonel, I can't justify $79 for a 2 year old bourbon. One local store has it down to $59, I told the manager if it hits $49 I'll try it. :-)

Mike, if you come through Chicago stop by, I'll crack the 1st release.:-)
[Reply]
Mikepd 10:16 PM 06-09-2023
It's a really great pour, think a 15 year Booker's mixed with a 16 year Knob Creek.

The 2 year old Colonel, I can't justify $79 for a 2 year old bourbon. One local store has it down to $59, I told the manager if it hits $49 I'll try it. :-)

Mike, if you come through Chicago stop by, I'll crack the 1st release.:-)
$80 for a practically fresh bourbon is a hard hit, but it seems lately, $80 is the new $40 for anything that isn't available in a plastic bottle. Hell, Barrell 34 is up to $90 MSRP, and I remember when that was "high priced" at $60 for batch 25 a few years ago!

Nice offer though of you cracking Jacobs Well with me, I may be out around Chi-town this fall, and I couldn't pass you by!

Clay that KC SBR is really nice this year, and finally for a year, I haven't yet found a 9 year store pick yet that has sucked!

James that Larceny BP is hit and miss still. It's definitely improved from years past, and high above their small batch that's nearly undrinkable! Glad you found a good one!
[Reply]
Mikepd 10:26 PM 06-09-2023
Originally Posted by Chainsaw13:
Question for the hive mind. Do you think bourbon is going to experience an implosion like the cigar boom of the early 2000’s? As I watch more videos and see all of the new brands coming out, there has to be a point where it reaches over saturation. And the prices. Hard to pay what some of these newcomers are asking when you can find the established brands cheaper.
I don't think we'll see prices go down on any new releases, but I do foresee a point where stores and bars will get "punished" (restricted from allocations and such) for charging secondary pricing when they are using a national wholesaler/distributor.

The bigger point I think though is that there are so many established brands and only so much shelf space, so I do think some of these smaller sized niche brands that only source their spirits, and aren't a distiller themselves, will either get priced out of the market, or get squashed by national chains that don't want to allocate two feet of shelf space to more MGP sourced re-labeled six year Dickle with a no-name brand on the bottle for $65+!
[Reply]
Chainsaw13 12:30 PM 06-13-2023
The second blind taste I did of Ben’s samples was a Whistle Pig 10 year single barrel rye. Super delicious. Stopped by the local store and snagged a 375ml bottle of the regular stuff. Definitely not the same, but good none the less. Also grabbed the last JD SB store pick and a Larceny BP B523. Got to talk to the owner. Besides the 1792 FP SP he had told me before was coming, he mentioned he’s got an EC BP SP coming. Top of the rickhouse, 136.6 proof iirc.

[Reply]
Porch Dweller 01:09 PM 06-13-2023
Nice grabs, Bob!
[Reply]
icehog3 02:04 PM 06-13-2023
Good grabs, Bob!

My local just got Larceny BP (A123). It's either $10 over MSRP or MSRP has gone up $10. Either way, I'm tempted as I've heard good things about the last couple batches.

Bob, if they ever get a Jack Daniels Barrel Strength sib pick, grab it. The ones I have had have ranged from excellent to unreal.

I've had similar results with 1792 FP picks, though a bit wider range on the bottom of the scale.

My favorite ECBP is over 137 proof, so that pick may be dynamite, Bob.
[Reply]
Chainsaw13 12:26 PM 06-14-2023
Just cracked open my Larceny B523. Delicious. :-) Brown Sugar, molasses, crème brûlée, cinnamon, chocolate. If the neck pour is this good can’t wait to see how the bottle develops.
[Reply]
Porch Dweller 03:54 PM 06-14-2023
I was on base today so I grabbed another bottle of the Maker's Mark Cask Strength, batch 22-04. I'm really enjoying this one.

They also had the Evan Williams 1783 Small Batch American Hero Edition on sale for $11. I'm not going to pass that one up for $11! :-) If nothing else it'll be a decent pour for after I've had a couple of other whiskies.
[Reply]
icehog3 04:04 PM 06-14-2023
Guy at my local that never hooks me up hooked me up with another Hardin's Creek. Maybe I got a guy? :-)
[Reply]
stearns 04:06 PM 06-14-2023
Guy at my local that never hooks me up hooked me up with another Hardin's Creek. Maybe I got a guy? :-)
Nice! I grabbed a sample from a friend, gonna hang onto it until the other two come out this summer
[Reply]
icehog3 04:11 PM 06-14-2023
Originally Posted by stearns:
Nice! I grabbed a sample from a friend, gonna hang onto it until the other two come out this summer
Nice! I figure to crack this in the next couple weeks. :-)
[Reply]
Porch Dweller 07:04 PM 06-14-2023
Just cracked open my Larceny B523. Delicious. :-) Brown Sugar, molasses, crème brûlée, cinnamon, chocolate. If the neck pour is this good can’t wait to see how the bottle develops.
One of the reviewers of this said the neck pour was pretty blah and things opened up after that. If that's the case, you're in for a treat. :-)

I was going to pick up another bottle of this while I was on base today, but it was sold out. I kick myself for not grabbing two when I had the chance.
[Reply]
Mikepd 12:13 AM 06-15-2023
Picked up a couple bottles to fill some space in the cabinet while at a national bourbon day tasting earlier!

I found a nice 10 year+ store pick of Knob Creek Single Barrel Select that they just broke into the cases of recently (while still selling a 2021 barrel), and a bottle of Finger Lakes Distilling's McKenzie Straight Bourbon.

This McKenzie is their "high rye" mash with 70% corn, 20% rye, and 10% malted barley, all NY grown and distilled. Ben's recent sample bombing on Bob made me think of FLD's bottles again, and picked one up as it's a great change of pace from my typical rotation!
[Reply]
Chainsaw13 12:44 PM 06-16-2023
Snagged a bottle of Green River Wheated and another MM BRT-02.
[Reply]
icehog3 02:46 PM 06-16-2023
Bob's got the fever.
[Reply]
Chainsaw13 08:02 AM 06-19-2023
Have watched two review vids of the Bookers 2023-02, Apprentice Batch. Neither have liked it and say it’s a no buy.
[Reply]
icehog3 08:18 AM 06-19-2023
Have watched two review vids of the Bookers 2023-02, Apprentice Batch. Neither have liked it and say it’s a no buy.
There have definitely been a couple duds the last few years, Donohoe's Batch (21-01) most notably as I find it almost undrinkable.

I've got a bottle of Apprentice I'm picking up today so I'll have a Booker's Superfan's thoughts up later this week. :-) :-)
[Reply]
Chainsaw13 08:21 AM 06-19-2023
Will be interested to hear your opinion.
[Reply]
Page 166 of 199
« First < 66116156164165166 167168176 > Last »
Up