Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Page 1 of 2
1 2 >
Sports>Formula1 returns to the United States!
kgoings 04:34 PM 05-25-2010
In Austin 2012 - 2021

http://www.formula1.com/news/headlin...0/5/10824.html

:-) :-) :-)
[Reply]
mosesbotbol 04:42 PM 05-25-2010
That came out of nowhere. The discussions were leading to Monticello in NY. Austin is better for me, that is where half my family lives.

Where is the track being built? Salt Lick and F1, what a dream!
[Reply]
kgoings 04:46 PM 05-25-2010
I was hoping for them to bring back the Formula 1 race on the Phoenix street circuit! :-)
[Reply]
Don Fernando 12:49 AM 05-26-2010
cool, a friend of mine and a fellow cigar smoker is the official photographer of the F1, now he can be my mule bringing cigars back for me :-)
[Reply]
SouthernSmoke 12:59 AM 05-26-2010
About time! Ive missed the sport stateside. The new track will definitely be a cool addition to the schedule! I just can't wait to be in Montreal in a few weeks!
[Reply]
captain53 08:44 AM 05-26-2010
They need 600 - 1000 acres for the track so it will have to be a pretty good distance outside of Austin but it would be a great thing to happen!:-)

http://www.statesman.com/news/local/...in-709355.html
[Reply]
jmsremax 01:54 PM 05-26-2010
SICK! :-)
[Reply]
tuxpuff 01:48 PM 05-27-2010
Huge F1 fan....I am so incredibly excited about this...and the track will be about 15 minutes from my house! F1 herf anyone? :-)
[Reply]
kgoings 03:26 PM 05-27-2010
Originally Posted by tuxpuff:
Huge F1 fan....I am so incredibly excited about this...and the track will be about 15 minutes from my house! F1 herf anyone? :-)
For sure!
[Reply]
The Poet 03:39 PM 05-27-2010
Good for you F1 fans. But in my mind, a F1 track in Austin makes even less sense than the proposed NASCAR one on Staten Island or the Meadowlands. Just :-), and worth every penny.
[Reply]
tuxpuff 03:43 PM 05-27-2010
Originally Posted by The Poet:
Good for you F1 fans. But in my mind, a F1 track in Austin makes even less sense than the proposed NASCAR one on Staten Island or the Meadowlands. Just :-), and worth every penny.
Care to elaborate why you think that?
[Reply]
mithrilG60 03:58 PM 05-27-2010
^^^^ I'd be interested to know as well.

This is great news for Montreal too since it means the Canadian GP is almost guarunteed to be on the calendar every year. Wouldn't make any sense to drop it when the team have already shipped the cars and associated equipment over for the US GP.
[Reply]
The Poet 04:00 PM 05-27-2010
Well, I have the, perhaps erroneous, opinion that Texas is more NASCAR country, and a new F1 track in the NE or MW - or even WC - would mean a larger local market and home-grown interest. NASCAR wants a track in the NYC area because it is a huge market with potential for growth in the sport, which can't be said of Austin.

Hey, Austin may be the Athens of Texas, but let's be honest . . . that's still like saying the longest road in Uganda.
[Reply]
tuxpuff 04:06 PM 05-27-2010
I would agree that Texas is NASCAR...but Austin certainly is not. Not that the population of Austin alone makes up for that fact...but geographically it is perfect for not only Texas and the US but also Central and South American fans. A Mexican driver Perez leads the GP2 points so he'll probably be up in F1 by 2012...huge draw there. Austin also has the capacity to hold tons of visitors because of all of the very large music festivals...and generally is a fantastic city. The press release on formula1.com has many city highlights and reasons they chose the location.
[Reply]
The Poet 04:17 PM 05-27-2010
Luke, I can't dispute your points, and I certainly wish them luck and success. My only objection is a feeling that there are more natural and logical sites.

Besides, how you gonna keep your governor from "appropriating" the construction funds? And this, from a guy in New Jersey! :-)
[Reply]
tuxpuff 04:21 PM 05-27-2010
We just have to worry about that guy trying to secede :-)

And you're welcome to join the herf Thomas! :-)
[Reply]
The Poet 04:29 PM 05-27-2010
Well, I do have a brother living in San Antonio, so in Texan terms that's just next door.
[Reply]
mosesbotbol 05:20 PM 05-27-2010
Originally Posted by tuxpuff:
I would agree that Texas is NASCAR...but Austin certainly is not. Not that the population of Austin alone makes up for that fact...but geographically it is perfect for not only Texas and the US but also Central and South American fans. A Mexican driver Perez leads the GP2 points so he'll probably be up in F1 by 2012...huge draw there. Austin also has the capacity to hold tons of visitors because of all of the very large music festivals...and generally is a fantastic city. The press release on formula1.com has many city highlights and reasons they chose the location.
Austin is my second city and I have to agree. Not only that, F1 is a global event is beyond just the locals showing up. To put in perspective, the Canadian GP is Canada's largest sporting event. Every F1 race has as many viewers as the Super Bowl. A good course in TX will make an epic race.

Knowing Texans, this course will be bigger than Spa, lol... I'd expect it to be fitting to Texas and the USA. Hell, why can't NASCAR use it too? They run a few road coarses and a state of the art one will allow real side by side racing which is NASCAR style.
[Reply]
captain53 06:34 PM 05-29-2010
A little update from the Austin Paper today:

http://www.statesman.com/news/local/...be-715886.html
[Reply]
ucla695 03:16 PM 06-16-2010
:-) :-)
[Reply]
Page 1 of 2
1 2 >
Up