Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Page 1 of 2
1 2 >
Coffee Discussion>It came
floydpink 09:19 AM 08-12-2009
They said be home between 10-5 today, so I was hunkered down for a long wait.

At 10:30, I was just finishing my 3rd espresso and the doorbell rang. Outside was the truck I was anticipating...

The guy said he needed help with the pallate which was now 120 pounds, up a little from yesterday.

The packaging was great and no damage at all to the contents

Now to make room, bye Gaggia

Hello shiny Brasilia

Almost warmed up now.
[Reply]
Coach Deg 09:21 AM 08-12-2009
Congrats! I'm on my way, black and sweet, please!
[Reply]
Tenor CS 09:22 AM 08-12-2009
Jesus Christ, is that a coffee machine or a steam engine!? Congratulations, brother. So when can I come over for a cup of coffee now?
[Reply]
germantown rob 09:34 AM 08-12-2009
I still can't see the machine :-), there thats better.

Soooooo, I am waiting for the first taste thoughts.
[Reply]
floydpink 09:41 AM 08-12-2009
well, I definitely need some practice, but the innaugural shots have me thinking my wife might one day think it was money well spent:-)

[Reply]
Mister Moo 09:45 AM 08-12-2009

You gonna need a bigger counter...
[Reply]
floydpink 09:52 AM 08-12-2009
Holy moly!!! First latte and I am blown away at the power of the steam wand on this beast.

I am now on my 5th shot and need to go outside.
[Reply]
skibumdc 09:52 AM 08-12-2009
Originally Posted by Mister Moo:

You gonna need a bigger counter...
:-)ol:
[Reply]
germantown rob 10:22 AM 08-12-2009
Originally Posted by floydpink:
Holy moly!!! First latte and I am blown away at the power of the steam wand on this beast.

I am now on my 5th shot and need to go outside.
Only 25 shots left of that Black Cat now.
[Reply]
floydpink 02:58 PM 08-12-2009
After a record setting day of expresso consumption, I have concluded that either I was doing something wrong, the Gaggia machine sucked, or I am now in a whole new league of brewing as I can't believe the difference in my espresso and lattes.

I was previously under the impression that a shot was pretty much a shot, but the heat exchange and steam was better on a commercial style machine and recovery time was shortened. I no longer feel that way and feel I have really made a large upgrade in equipment and quality of espresso shots.

As of 5pm, the crema on most shots is firm enough to hold a small teaspoon of sugar. This is a first for me.

A lot may have to do with the fact that the cup warmer and grouphead on the Brasilia keep everything at optimal temps, which I am finally learning how important it is.

I have pulled shots of Inteeligencia Black Cat from my old Gaggia and my wife, who is from Brasil, felt was too strong and bitter.

She is on her 2nd latte.

My bottomless filter should arrive by the weekend and I will really start getting this dialed in.
[Reply]
Mister Moo 07:07 PM 08-12-2009
After a record setting day of expresso consumption, I have concluded that either I was doing something wrong, the Gaggia machine sucked, or I am now in a whole new league of brewing as I can't believe the difference in my espresso and lattes.

I was previously under the impression that a shot was pretty much a shot, but the heat exchange and steam was better on a commercial style machine and recovery time was shortened. I no longer feel that way and feel I have really made a large upgrade in equipment and quality of espresso shots.

As of 5pm, the crema on most shots is firm enough to hold a small teaspoon of sugar. This is a first for me.

A lot may have to do with the fact that the cup warmer and grouphead on the Brasilia keep everything at optimal temps, which I am finally learning how important it is.

I have pulled shots of Inteeligencia Black Cat from my old Gaggia and my wife, who is from Brasil, felt was too strong and bitter.

She is on her 2nd latte.

My bottomless filter should arrive by the weekend and I will really start getting this dialed in.
I'll be darned.
[Reply]
novasurf 08:18 PM 08-12-2009
I kinda like the palm trees in the background, Pete.
[Reply]
Bigwaved 09:57 PM 08-12-2009
half the fun is learning to dial it all in! :-)
[Reply]
floydpink 08:14 AM 08-13-2009
Originally Posted by novasurf:
I kinda like the palm trees in the background, Pete.
You don't have palm trees in New Jersey, Norman?:-)

I remember when I moved here from Jersey 20 years ago, seeing a palm tree or a lizard was sort of a big deal. Now it's something you don't even give a second thought.
[Reply]
Mister Moo 10:48 AM 08-13-2009
You don't have palm trees in New Jersey, Norman?:-)

I remember when I moved here from Jersey 20 years ago, seeing a palm tree or a lizard was sort of a big deal. Now it's something you don't even give a second thought.
A lizard can still be a big deal depending on exactly where it is. Just ask Mrs. Moo.

So! How was the coffee this morning?
[Reply]
floydpink 12:35 PM 08-13-2009
[quote=Mister Moo;508137]A lizard can still be a big deal depending on exactly where it is. Just ask Mrs. Moo.

So! How was the coffee this morning?[/QUOTE]

great. I am still fiddling with the grind a bit and it seems like the Brasilia does better with a finer grind and less tamp pressure.

Once I figure it out, I'm sure I'll be eyeing that chrome Macap doserless.
[Reply]
germantown rob 12:56 PM 08-13-2009

Once I figure it out, I'm sure I'll be eyeing that chrome Macap doserless.
Take a look at what the Baratza Vario has being said about it in grinder tests. It grinds on par with the Super Jolly, I actually hope to pick up a used SJ when those folks start selling them to get the Vario :-).
[Reply]
floydpink 01:23 PM 08-13-2009
Originally Posted by germantown rob:
Take a look at what the Baratza Vario has being said about it in grinder tests. It grinds on par with the Super Jolly, I actually hope to pick up a used SJ when those folks start selling them to get the Vario :-).
Just did, looks nice, but do they make a chrome version?:-)
[Reply]
Swampper 01:32 AM 08-14-2009
Welcome to the Big Leagues! :-)

That is a very sharp machine.
[Reply]
Starscream 07:58 PM 08-14-2009
Nice!:-)

From the title of the thread, I thought of the song:

"I came
I saw
I hit 'em right dead in the jaw!"
[Reply]