Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Page 1 of 3
1 23 >
Coffee Discussion>Basic Coffee Recommendations?
longknocker 04:07 AM 10-15-2013
Good Morning, All!:-) I Recently Purchased A Highly Recommended Technivorm Moccamaster & I Can Not Get A Decent Cup Of Coffee! I've Tried Different Brands, Recommended Amounts Of 1-2 Tablespoons Of Coffee Per Ounce Of Filtered Water, Etc. & Nothing Seems To Taste Good. I Ordered Some Uncle Beanz Coffee, Hoping That Will Taste Better. All I Want Is A Smooth, Non-Bitter, Flavorful Cup Of Coffee! :-) I Have My Own Baratza Encore Grinder Which I Grind Up A Week's Worth Of Coffee & Store It In A Airtight "CoffeeVac". Any Recommendations For A Blend Of Coffee I Can Readily Get At The Grocery Store? Thanks!:-)
[Reply]
GreekGodX 05:20 AM 10-15-2013
How is the coffee coming out, Greg? Maybe it has nothing to do with the beans and something is wrong with the machine or the dosing.
[Reply]
mosesbotbol 05:42 AM 10-15-2013
You should grind coffee before brewing, not a week in advance.

Try adding a pinch of salt to ground coffee in the filter before brewing.

There's no real secret to brewing in drip pot. All you can do is adjust the amount of coffee, the grind, or both.
[Reply]
pektel 05:45 AM 10-15-2013
I actually don't mind dunkin donuts coffee from the supermarket. I used to only drink Folgers out of the drip machine. Now I've found I really like Ethiopian yiracheffe (sp).

Does the coffee you're making just taste like the stuff you've been drinking before? Or is it worse? I agree it could be a dosing issue. Do you own a digital kitchen scale? I can't recall what amount is "proper" for a machine, and I only eyeball it in the French press now.
[Reply]
CigarSquid 06:39 AM 10-15-2013
Originally Posted by mosesbotbol:
You should grind coffee before brewing, not a week in advance.

There's no real secret to brewing in drip pot. All you can do is adjust the amount of coffee, the grind, or both.
What does that do?
[Reply]
longknocker 06:42 AM 10-15-2013
Thanks For The Replies, Christos, Moses, & Peter. I Tried The Recommended Amount Of 60Gm. Of Coffee / Liter & It Was Way To Strong. When I Use 1/2 That Amount It Tastes Like Muddy Water . I Do Use A Gm. Scale.
[Reply]
replicant_argent 06:45 AM 10-15-2013
What coffees were you using before ordering from uncle beanz?
[Reply]
longknocker 06:48 AM 10-15-2013
Unfortunately, Since I Go To Work So Early, I Can't Grind Every Morning As I Would Wake Up The Whole House. Any Preferences Between Eight O'Clock, Folger's, Etc. ?
[Reply]
replicant_argent 07:12 AM 10-15-2013
A quick google search popped a few local roasters in Mobile, Greg. Why limit yourself to grocery store coffee? An extra 30 or 40 cents a pot for truly GREAT locally roasted FRESH coffee is worth it. And it supports your local economy.
[Reply]
longknocker 09:42 AM 10-15-2013
Originally Posted by replicant_argent:
A quick google search popped a few local roasters in Mobile, Greg. Why limit yourself to grocery store coffee? An extra 30 or 40 cents a pot for truly GREAT locally roasted FRESH coffee is worth it. And it supports your local economy.
Didn't Think Of That. Thanks, Pete! I Usually Use Starbucks Or Eight O'Clock.
[Reply]
Subvet642 09:45 AM 10-15-2013
Originally Posted by longknocker:
Unfortunately, Since I Go To Work So Early, I Can't Grind Every Morning As I Would Wake Up The Whole House. Any Preferences Between Eight O'Clock, Folger's, Etc. ?
I recently tried Chock Full o' Nuts, and I love it; it's become my regular.
[Reply]
stearns 09:46 AM 10-15-2013
I used to do starbucks coffee (beans, rarely actually buy a coffee there), then went to buying some stuff from roasters online. a couple years back I switched to local roasters (not always local to my current location, sometimes when traveling I'd pick up a pound if I knew I was running low at home). now that's about all that I do, never looked back :-)
[Reply]
dave 10:05 AM 10-15-2013
I drip 2 parts Folgers Columbian and 1 part Folgers Vanilla. Don't laugh until you try it.
[Reply]
shilala 10:21 AM 10-15-2013
Originally Posted by mosesbotbol View Post
Originally Posted by garryyjr:
What does that do?
It takes the bitter out. Hides the acid somehow.
I keep those little salt packets in my car in case my coffee sucks. I put it in my coffee when I get it at Sheetz all the time. It works great, and it only takes a little bit.
[Reply]
longknocker 11:21 AM 10-15-2013
Thanks, All! Found A Local Roaster, Carpe Diem, Who Roasts Daily. I 'll Pick Some Up After Work, Today! :-)
[Reply]
replicant_argent 03:54 PM 10-15-2013
That's the spirit! Going from grocery store floor sweepings to craft roasted beans is like going from Mickey D's to Ruths Chris. We expect a full report, including which beans and tasting notes. :-)
[Reply]
longknocker 04:31 PM 10-15-2013
Originally Posted by replicant_argent:
That's the spirit! Going from grocery store floor sweepings to craft roasted beans is like going from Mickey D's to Ruths Chris. We expect a full report, including which beans and tasting notes. :-)
:-):-)
[Reply]
GreekGodX 04:35 PM 10-15-2013
Yea the local roaster is a great idea. I would go down to 55grams try that. Then down to 50grams. That little trial and error would probably do the trick.
[Reply]
mosesbotbol 05:55 PM 10-15-2013
Originally Posted by garryyjr:
What does that do?
Takes off the bitterness. Just a pinch. Give it a try!
[Reply]
mosesbotbol 05:57 PM 10-15-2013
Originally Posted by longknocker:
Any Preferences Between Eight O'Clock, Folger's, Etc. ?
Bokar Blend is really good. Costco is great too, they single origin coffee are a steal.

You'll get to the point of "eye balling" soon. Once you see how much coffee is needed, you can score the filter holder or just remember. No need to weight and measure.
[Reply]
Page 1 of 3
1 23 >
Up