Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
General Discussion>Looking for a new laptop, need suggestions.
DMK 12:12 PM 08-26-2019
The wife's HP laptop is showing signs of age. I'm looking for suggestions on a replacement. She uses it as an internet portal for all her 'stuff', basically facecrack and her boards. I don't think she needs anything really powerful or artsy. I was thinking of a Chromebook....
Suggestions?
[Reply]
markem 12:15 PM 08-26-2019
iPad. I am basically a windows and linux guy, but I have an iPad as an e-reader and use it as a mobile web browser as well. This is stupid light and there are a variety of good cases with keyboards built in. With the touch screen, I don't miss the mouse or touch pad.
[Reply]
The Poet 01:31 PM 08-26-2019
I spent about 150 bucks on a 11" Dell Chromebook recently and really like it. You might want to spend more for a larger screen and/or touchscreen, but if she just needs internet access stuff and you have good WiFi you really should give serious consideration to a Chromebook. They are fast and have great battery life, and don't tend to bog down like your standard laptop.
[Reply]
CigarNut 02:31 PM 08-26-2019
Originally Posted by markem:
iPad. I am basically a windows and linux guy, but I have an iPad as an e-reader and use it as a mobile web browser as well. This is stupid light and there are a variety of good cases with keyboards built in. With the touch screen, I don't miss the mouse or touch pad.
:-)

I moved my wife off of her PC to an iPad about 8 months ago and she has never looked bag. She is using a iPad Air 2 — about 3 years old, I think.

You can find lots of deals on iPads right now — especially slightly older models, which will still work fine for what your wife needs for many years to come.
[Reply]
mosesbotbol 06:16 AM 08-27-2019
I am fan of Microsoft Surface laptops. Good design and build. Comes in at different price points.
[Reply]
Wharf Rat 07:47 AM 08-27-2019
I’ll second the iPad suggestions. I bought an iPad Air 2 a couple of years ago to use like a Kindle reader. By now, I use it 90% of the time. I use my older HP laptop when I need a spreadsheet.
[Reply]
BigAsh 08:43 AM 08-27-2019
Originally Posted by mosesbotbol:
I am fan of Microsoft Surface laptops. Good design and build. Comes in at different price points.
:-)
[Reply]
The Poet 10:25 AM 08-27-2019
Today only, 8/27, Best Buy has a Surface on sale for $550, which is $400 off.
[Reply]
Ashcan Bill 10:31 AM 08-27-2019
Originally Posted by markem:
Same here. I've used Windows since the DOS days and my wife teaches Microsoft Certification but we both use iPad Air 2s for portable surfing. It's a great little tablet.
[Reply]
DMK 03:03 PM 08-29-2019
Picked up an Acer Chromebook from bestbuy today, the wife is sitting here getting use to it........
[Reply]
The Poet 03:12 PM 08-29-2019
Wishing her the best with it. As I said above, I really like the Dell Chromebook I am on right now, and checked out the Asus too before I spotted this on sale.

Plus that's a couple of bucks that won't end up in Apple's offshore tax haven accounts, even if they are loonies. :-)
[Reply]
Makdam4 04:11 AM 09-01-2019
What's is your budget for buying a new laptop for you wife? If you have a shoice of buying HP laptop then I think you are right. Because I have 3 of them already. 1 is HP and another 2 is Asus.
[Reply]
Up