Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Page 6 of 40
« First < 456 7816 > Last »
Wine, Beer, and Spirits>The Wine Thread
Vitis 12:52 PM 12-06-2008
Moses, how was the Pichon Lalande holdng up? Rough year for bdx but i have had a few good bottles back in the 90s.
[Reply]
mosesbotbol 01:14 PM 12-06-2008
Originally Posted by Mark C:
I've seen you post those 'chopped top' port bottles before (can't remember the lingo), why do that for the bottle on the left, and not the one on the right?
I used the port tongs on Taylor as I usually do on all Vintage or LBV's that have a driven cork. I did not do it on the Ramos as I knew I could get away with a cork screw and opened it a day before. I was planning on drinking the Ramos over a couple of days, but that did not happen. I have several cases of the Ramos, so I knew the corkscrew would work on them. Usually I do the tongs as you don't know what the cork is going to do.
[Reply]
mosesbotbol 01:19 PM 12-06-2008
Originally Posted by Vitis:
Moses, how was the Pichon Lalande holdng up? Rough year for bdx but i have had a few good bottles back in the 90s.
It was OK, little faded as one may expect, but certainly good for the price. I had bought a few of them a couple years ago for like $35 a bottle so I guess I can say it was fabulous if you look at from QPR perspective.

I find there's good value in buying big names in off years. I'd avoid 70's stuff, but 80's is still fair game for bdx when priced right. Some wines like Burgundy of CdP, age is everything so I'd take an average mature bottle over a better recent bottle of the same price point.
[Reply]
jonharky 01:36 PM 12-06-2008
I enjoyed a very nice cabernet last night. It is called Casillero Del Diablo. I picked it up for 10 bucks (michigan). I highly recommend especially with a good cigar.
[Reply]
Vitis 01:56 PM 12-06-2008
Originally Posted by mosesbotbol:
Some wines like Burgundy of CdP, age is everything so I'd take an average mature bottle over a better recent bottle of the same price point.
Yup, that price is nice :-) I still buy some 70s Bdx, obviously 70, some carefuly chosen 75's and am loving well stored 78s right now. CdP I buy in almost any year depending on house. Burgundy to me, in most vintages (excepting 05 and 90) its all House. There, great houses make great wines, or they sit out the vintage or declassify. Never had a bad DRC, even in years that lots of folks made lean wines.

Nice line up brother. Someday will get a chance to drink a few bottles together.

~Vitis
[Reply]
aldukes 04:25 PM 12-06-2008
Originally Posted by mosesbotbol:
It was OK, little faded as one may expect, but certainly good for the price. I had bought a few of them a couple years ago for like $35 a bottle so I guess I can say it was fabulous if you look at from QPR perspective.

I find there's good value in buying big names in off years. I'd avoid 70's stuff, but 80's is still fair game for bdx when priced right. Some wines like Burgundy of CdP, age is everything so I'd take an average mature bottle over a better recent bottle of the same price point.
Good call Moses- I'm in the process of picking up some 04 Bordeaux- prices are going to be friendly after the holiday season.
On the list : 04 leoville las cases
04 ducru beacalliou
And maybe an 04 mission haut brion.
I know I spelt beaucalliou wrong - thanks for no cut and paste on the iPhone, Apple!
[Reply]
aldukes 04:30 PM 12-06-2008
Originally Posted by Vitis:
Yup, that price is nice :-) I still buy some 70s Bdx, obviously 70, some carefuly chosen 75's and am loving well stored 78s right now. CdP I buy in almost any year depending on house. Burgundy to me, in most vintages (excepting 05 and 90) its all House. There, great houses make great wines, or they sit out the vintage or declassify. Never had a bad DRC, even in years that lots of folks made lean wines.

Nice line up brother. Someday will get a chance to drink a few bottles together.

~Vitis
Never had a bad DRC?

Keep bragging.
[Reply]
Vitis 05:52 PM 12-06-2008
You know what I meant :-) Great house, great wines, often regardless of vintage. (Petrus comes to mind in Bdx). Nice on the Bdx. 04 St Jullians have been great so far. Id take the LLC but cant go wrong with the Ducru which is also very fine. My vote would be to pass on the LaMiss for this vintage and buy more LLC! :-)
[Reply]
mosesbotbol 09:27 PM 12-06-2008
Originally Posted by Vitis:
Never had a bad DRC, even in years that lots of folks made lean wines.
Can't say I am drinking much DRC :-) Had a '62 La Tache once and that sublime indeed. Unless I get at least a 1/3 the bottle, I don't consider a glass as really having that wine. It takes the whole bottle to pass final judgement. It's like rating a cigar from just 2 puff's.

Picked up a case of 2006 Giordano Toscana (Super Tuscan) at Costco for $13 a bottle. Worth getting for sure (hint hint). I see 5-7+ years aging and should be a fun daily drinker. Comes in wooden case too! Picked up '05 Kendall Jackson Grand Reserve Cab. Double Magnum for $79. Compared to regular B&M's, the double magnum comes out to regular bottle pricing. Another 5-10 year aging drinker.

I have something for large format bottles.
[Reply]
aldukes 09:46 AM 12-08-2008
Originally Posted by Vitis:
My vote would be to pass on the LaMiss for this vintage and buy more LLC! :-)
what about a CdP for around the same price? Any suggestions?
[Reply]
Vitis 11:27 AM 12-08-2008
Should be able to get most CdPs at considerably lower prices than LaMiss unless you are shooting for hard to get stuff like Henri Bonneau or La Nerth's Cadetes etc. Haven't had a chance to taste too many 06s yet, but have bought Clos Saint Jean which to me is like Cali Grenache on steroids and Charvin which is my favorite. To me it's the most elegant CdP there is when aged.


~Vitis
[Reply]
aldukes 08:34 PM 12-08-2008
Picked up a bottle of CdP this evening:

2003 Chateau des Fines Roches
Chateauneuf-du-Pape, Rhone, France
$21- local (crappy) wine shop

Sight: Clear, garnet color, light brick rim variation
Nose: awesome nose- choc covered strawberries, plum, cherry, violet candy,
grape soda, light chalk
Taste: raspberries, ground pepper, light carmel, chalk/white stones

This is SMOOTH. Barley notice the 14% alcohol and tannins.

I'll be tasting the second half of the bottle tomorrow.
[Reply]
KidRock 08:41 PM 12-08-2008
Hello Guys and Gals,


I'm new to the wine section. I really like a smooth pair flavor wine. I love white wines. As a newbie are there any goodwebsites just for white wine lovers. No thanks to boonesfarm or arbormist.
[Reply]
aldukes 09:23 PM 12-08-2008
Originally Posted by KidRock:
Hello Guys and Gals,


I'm new to the wine section. I really like a smooth pair flavor wine. I love white wines. As a newbie are there any goodwebsites just for white wine lovers. No thanks to boonesfarm or arbormist.
try some Vouvray, Albarino from Spain, Chenin Blanc from South Africa and some New Zealand Sauvignon Blanc- you can get really good wines for less than $15.

Ask all the questions you want- there are some really smart people that hang out here!
[Reply]
cherrybomb 12:25 AM 12-09-2008
i'd try some pinot gris from oregon, I believe them to have great acidity whuch lends very nicely to food!
[Reply]
mosesbotbol 05:59 AM 12-09-2008
The pear flavor would be a drier Riesling. My favorite white wines are from Mersault (Burgundy), but finding them under $30 is difficult.
[Reply]
BC-Axeman 08:11 AM 12-09-2008
I had a Pitit Sirah, '06, from Lost Angel, Paso Robles CA last night that was pretty impressive. It had a lot of berry flavor with a little bit of chocolate and just enough tannins to smooth it out. Drank it with a pork chop dinner. :-)
[Reply]
BC-Axeman 09:39 PM 12-09-2008
I just found out that the Lost Angel Petite Sirah is only $14. From Eos vineyards. I have paid twice as much for wines that were not as drinkable. I will have to stock up. I hope it cellars well.
[Reply]
aldukes 09:40 AM 12-10-2008
one of my favorite Petite Sirah is from Concannon. When I first started getting serious about wine, I drank a lot of this. Try the Limited Release- about 15 bucks.
[Reply]
rizzle 10:43 AM 12-10-2008
Originally Posted by aldukes:
try some Vouvray, Albarino from Spain, Chenin Blanc from South Africa and some New Zealand Sauvignon Blanc- you can get really good wines for less than $15.

Ask all the questions you want- there are some really smart people that hang out here!
Yep, and I just happen to not be one of them. Most of the stuff you guys are talking is way over my head. It's like Greek to me. But I'm reading.:-)
[Reply]
Page 6 of 40
« First < 456 7816 > Last »
Up