Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Wine, Beer, and Spirits>Muddle Mania 2014 - The Mojito is On!
Mister Moo 01:19 PM 05-28-2014
Wake up people! Martooni season is past and it is Moojito season once again! I have seen the first fireflies of the year and the mint is showing up in the backyard. Game on.

A practically perfect martini (which is a gin drink, by the way) or a drop-dead delicious mojito are not particularly easy to mix. It's like sliding down a razorblade to get it right. I go with Bacardi or 10 Cane. I figure if I make the drink right I can't taste the rum much anyhow. The ice grinder is working and rum is on the counter. I feel a lime run coming up Thursday or Friday after work and Muddle Mania 2014 will begin at the old Moo place before June begins.

I go with a tall glass and muddle (not murder) a couple of large sprigs of fresh mint at the bottom; ice to the top including a few large and slightly damaged but unshredded and cosmetically appealing mint leaves. Add one and a half to two shots of clear rum pre-mixed with simple syrup and just the right amount of lime juice to keep the drink (almost) clear and minty-clean tasting. Top with a splash of soda water and a perfect mint sprig. Best served on a fat day with a warm cigar. Whatever. The Moojito.
[Reply]
stearns 01:22 PM 05-28-2014
mmm them moojitos sound good :-)

interesting premixing the simple syrup with the rum, might need to try that :-)
[Reply]
Mister Moo 02:01 PM 05-28-2014
Originally Posted by stearns:
...interesting premixing the simple syrup with the rum, might need to try that :-)
I'll pour x-shots of rum for x drinks then add simple syrup til it bites right. Never measured, just dip my finger when nobody is watching. :-)
[Reply]
Victor808 03:40 PM 06-03-2014
GF always wants lychee mojitos... (I know.. I blame the fancy bars).

1/4 lime
mint (I use like the leaves of 3-4 full sprigs)
a few tsp of the juice in canned lychees.... sometimes I'll throw a couple whole ones in.

muddle... strain... since the mint and mashed lychee looks like crap

add 1.5 shots rum and seltzer to desired strength.
[Reply]
tsolomon 05:30 PM 06-03-2014
The wife switched over when the mint came up a couple of weeks ago. Looks like the same recipe you use with the 10 Cane rum and simple syrup. She has been complaining about the price of limes and how little juice you get out of them, but that hasn't slowed her down. :-)
[Reply]
T.G 05:45 PM 06-03-2014
Best Mojitos I've had were always the ones Andy (xibbumbero) makes.

His recipe:
In a tall glass add:
1 heaping tablespoon white sugar
the juice of one fresh pressed lime (gets a bit of the oil from the rind in there)
a splash of perrier or pellegrino water (don't use cheap crappy seltzer)
mix this with your spoon or muddler until the sugar dissolves
add a sprig of mint and muddle a bit
add good ice (bagged or made from RO purified water - not the junk that comes out of the ice maker in your freezer with the filter you've never changed)
Add a shot or two of HC3
top with more perrier or pellegrino and stir
[Reply]
Up