Sports>Official MMA Thread
NCRadioMan 10:18 PM 10-31-2008
I'm looking for a stream.
[Reply]
NCRadioMan 10:36 PM 10-31-2008
Found a couple. Starts at 3am.
[Reply]
NCRadioMan 09:50 AM 11-02-2008
I only got through half the event before falling asleep. I caught the rest of the fights later. A pretty solid show! It looks to me, on the whole, these guys are much more technically proficient than the fighters over here. Then again hasn't that always beent he case in Japan.

Oh, another update on liars at EliteXC. Seth had no KO bonus in the contract as the organization had claimed. :-)
http://www.mmaconvert.com/2008/10/27...appen-claimed/

Another update provided in the link says there may have been a bonus but I wouldn't believe those idiots if they told me the sky was blue.
[Reply]
BengalMan 03:58 PM 11-03-2008
Chris Leben tests positive for steroids:
http://mmamania.com/2008/11/03/chris...r-ufc-89-loss/

Chris Leben tested positive for Stanazolol in a test administered by UFC on the day of his fight with Michael Bisping on 10/18 in Birmingham, England. Leben, who lost a three-round decision, has been suspended for nine months by UFC and fined one-third of his undisclosed purse.”

More on this breaking news shortly.

LAME!!
[Reply]
Ron1YY 05:40 PM 11-03-2008
Originally Posted by BengalMan:
Chris Leben tests positive for steroids:
http://mmamania.com/2008/11/03/chris...r-ufc-89-loss/

Chris Leben tested positive for Stanazolol in a test administered by UFC on the day of his fight with Michael Bisping on 10/18 in Birmingham, England. Leben, who lost a three-round decision, has been suspended for nine months by UFC and fined one-third of his undisclosed purse.”

More on this breaking news shortly.

LAME!!
That sucks to hear!!! I like Leben as a fighter, but lost alot of respect in him for this :-)
[Reply]
BengalMan 12:19 PM 11-07-2008
Wow, anyone see the WEC card on Wednesday? MY LORD! Faber get's TKO'ed, Jens Pulver gets destroyed, and Paulo Filho goes absolutely bananas and talks to people that aren't there and looked like garbage.
[Reply]
NCRadioMan 01:33 PM 11-07-2008
Garbage is a compliment to his actions. What a horrible preformance. First, he doesn't make weight then that. Terrible. Both Faber and Pulver got owned!

[Reply]
Jdbwolverines 01:02 AM 11-09-2008
The Faber fight really surprised me. He got rocked hard. As much as I like him, Jens is well past his prime. The way Filho acted out there was ridiculous. He needs professional help. Also, I have no idea how the title holder can't make weight for a fight. That is just unacceptable.
[Reply]
kayaker 08:18 AM 11-09-2008
Originally Posted by Jdbwolverines:
Also, I have no idea how the title holder can't make weight for a fight. That is just unacceptable.
I agree. I think he should automatically lose the belt. He said he is giving the belt to Chonnen anyways, but I don't know how official that is. He is also considering a move to 205.

Whatever. He's seemed really messed up in the head for the last year or so.
[Reply]
Darrell 05:57 PM 11-09-2008
UFC 91's MAIN EVENT is going to be interesting. Couture vs. Lesnar.
[Reply]
NCRadioMan 09:01 AM 11-10-2008
Originally Posted by Darrell:
UFC 91's MAIN EVENT is going to be interesting. Couture vs. Lesnar.
I can't wait. Looks like a good card overall but this main event is, like you said, interesting. Very interesting.

More on EliteXC:
Originally Posted by :
The California State Athletic Commission on Wednesday suspended promoter licenses for both Pro Elite and King of the Cage in its jurisdiction, sounding yet another strike against the all-but-expired organization that went into a tailspin on Oct. 20 after a deal for its purchase by Showtime fell through.

The primary reason that Pro Elite/Elite XC's and King of the Cage's licenses have been placed on suspension is because of their financial states and the fact that Pro Elite, the owner of King of the Cage, has suspended operations and their tangible and intangible assets are being auctioned on November 17, wrote CSAC Executive Officer Armando Garcia in an email to Sherdog.com on Thursday.

Garcia wrote that the CSACs decision was based on a review of the facts and was not stimulated by any outside influence.

Pro Elites suspension wouldnt seem to have much impact on a company over $55 million in debt that was recently forced to close down its operations. However, it could serve to bolster breach of contract claims filed after Oct. 20 with Pro Elite by numerous EliteXC-contracted fighters who are looking to exit the failed promotion as quickly as possible to take assignments with rival promotions.

Fighters like EliteXC middleweight champion Robbie Lawler and welterweight champion Jake Shields have given Pro Elite 30 days to provide proof that they can honor the fighters contracts per their agreements. Though Pro Elite released replies to select fighters last week stating they were still in business and planning an event in early 2009, the companys has now lost its ability to host events in the state that houses its headquarters. Pro Elite held 7 of its 17 EliteXC and ShoXC events in California during its 22-month run.

If they can show me proof they within the 30 days that they can provide me two more fights, then Ill happily fulfill the two fights and my end of the bargain, Shields said Wednesday. But if they cant fulfill what they claim in the contract, then I consider them in a breach. If theyre willing to offer me fights, Ill definitely do it per the contract, but at this point, this doesnt seem realistic.

In the meantime, Shields was one of handful of fighters whose contract has been listed up for grabs at a public auction sale organized by Showtime on Nov. 17 at a law office in Los Angeles.

Showtime, a subsidiary of CBS, has claimed all tangible and intangible assets of Pro Elite, which it said defaulted on two promissory notes totaling $4 million that it lent to the promotion on June 18 and Sept. 10. In addition to airing EliteXC and ShoXC events on its channel, Showtime also had a 20% stake in the company prior to the promotions recent demise.

According to recent Securities and Exchange Commission filings, Showtime gave notice to Pro Elite on Oct. 16 that the promotion violated a term of its agreement requiring it to maintain a minimum bank balance of at least $550,0000 with a nationally recognized financial institution. Pro Elite has an outstanding balance of $6.3 million with the cable channel, and any default on the loans would give Showtime the ability to sell or assign the promotions collateral at its discretion, according to the filings.

Advertisements placed Tuesday on Sherdog.com announced the sale of fight contracts for Kevin Kimbo Slice Ferguson, Gina Carano, Shields, Lawler, Frank Shamrock, Antonio Silva, Brett Rogers, Dave Herman, Scott Smith, Nick Diaz, Eddie Alvarez and others, along with Pro Elites video library, still photographs and home videos also listed for purchase. (Sherdog.coms advertising, including its assignments and revenue intake, are under the sole ownership of Crave Online.)

Attempts to obtain a complete list of items up for auction were unsuccessful, though EliteXC champion Shields believes any sales made will not be enforceable.

To see us on sale online is ridiculous, said Shields. We already sent them a breach of contract letter. They dont respond to that. Instead they put this up. Its just completely ridiculous how theyre handling this situation and completely unprofessional. They should be in contact with us fighters and letting us know whats going on instead of just putting things online and not responding to our faxes, emails, and phone calls.

Both Pro Elite CEO Chuck Champion and Showtime representative Chris DeBlasio have not returned calls from Sherdog.com for comment.

However, an SEC filing made by Pro Elite on Thursday stated that, The Company plans to take all appropriate measures to prevent the sale from occurring by raising additional financing, filing a lawsuit enjoining the sale, filing a bankruptcy petition or negotiating a settlement with Showtime.

Monte Cox, who manages two fighters listed on the auction block in Lawler and Alvarez, said he wasnt sure Showtime had a right to the contracts and has taken a buyer beware attitude with the potential sale.

I find it interesting, said Cox. Nobody knows what theyre getting, so Id be kind of surprised if any contracts get bought. You dont know what youre getting.

As an example, Cox said Alvarezs contract is set up to where a potential buyer will have to rotate the popular fighters bouts over two years time with three other promotions -- Japans Dream, Adrenaline MMA and Extreme Challenge. The latter two promotions are owned by Cox.

TJ Thompson, who sold his Icon Sport promotion to Pro Elite last year, said he might attend the auction to try and purchase back his company. Originally operating under the Superbrawl name, Thompson grew Icon Sport into the leading entity in Hawaii over 13 years.

Who would want to buy [Icon Sport">? asked Thompson. Without me, the Icon name isnt really of value. So anyone that wanted to buy it would have to find me anyway.

Cox, who has managed over 60 fighters over the last 11 years, said the 15-year-old sport has entered new territory with Showtimes intentions to auction off his clients contracts. Cox and others have their doubts that the sale of a personal services contract will be upheld in a court of law.

Ive never been in this situation before, so I just dont have an idea what can or cant be done, said Cox.

After meeting with multiple lawyers, Shields is more certain of his stance. Believing the breach of his contract takes precedence over Showtimes claims for it, Shields said he will give Pro Elite the full 30 days to provide proof they can honor his contract, or then make the rounds to other promotions in two weeks.

Getting worked up over it isnt going to do any good, he said. Im just going to let it go its course and Im pretty sure something is going to work out.

Whether other promotions will be willing to court the EliteXC contingent of fighters after the Showtime auction and Pro Elites 30-day response period expires remains a question.

[Reply]
kayaker 01:47 PM 11-11-2008
GSP vs BJ is official for UFC 94.

That could be an early entry for fight of the year.

http://www.ufc.com/index.cfm?fa=news.detail&gid=15765
[Reply]
NCRadioMan 02:32 PM 11-11-2008
Originally Posted by kayaker:
GSP vs BJ is official for UFC 94.

That could be an early entry for fight of the year.

http://www.ufc.com/index.cfm?fa=news.detail&gid=15765
That will be a great fight!

UFC 91 is this Saturday night!

UFC Heavyweight Championship
Randy Couture vs. Brock Lesnar

Joe Stevenson vs. Kenny Florian
Nate Quarry vs. Demian Maia
Dustin Hazelett vs. Tamdan McCrory
Amir Sadollah vs. Nick Catone
Gabriel Gonzagavs. Josh Hendricks
Jorge Gurgel vs. Aaron Riley
Mark Bocek vs. Alvin Robinson
Matt Riddle vs. Ryan Thomas
Jeremy Stephens vs. Rafael dos Anjos

Scratch Sadollah! He is injured.
[Reply]
Starscream 03:40 PM 11-11-2008
Couture or Lesnar?

My money is on Couture but I wouldn't count Lesnar out. Both are pure beasts.
[Reply]
NCRadioMan 03:52 PM 11-11-2008
Yeah Andy, I feel the same way. I think Lesnar will win but I have no doubt that Couture could win too. It's gonna be good.
[Reply]
kayaker 04:36 PM 11-11-2008
I'm hoping Couture will win. I'd like to see him and Big Nog fight.

Lesnar is a beast though.
[Reply]
LordOfWu 04:43 PM 11-11-2008
Randy Couture vs. Brock Lesnar

Joe Stevenson vs. Kenny Florian
Nate Quarry vs. Demian Maia
Dustin Hazelett vs. Tamdan McCrory
Amir Sadollah vs. Nick Catone
Gabriel Gonzagavs. Josh Hendricks
Jorge Gurgel vs. Aaron Riley
Mark Bocek vs. Alvin Robinson
Matt Riddle vs. Ryan Thomas
Jeremy Stephens vs. Rafael dos Anjos

Not that I'm qualified to an opinion, but of the fights I know anything about, here's how I'd pick 'em. Randy just cause I want him to win, and Joe because of a gut feeling.
[Reply]
BengalMan 04:55 PM 11-11-2008
Amir Sadollah has pulled out of the fight due to a leg infection and due to how close the fight is, a replacement was not found and the fight was called off.
[Reply]
CBI_2 05:12 PM 11-11-2008
Have only seen Lesner a couple of times. An animal that's tough to handle physically but if he makes a mistake and leaves himself open Couture will definitely exploit it.

Lesner's comparative youth and strength will be difficult to overcome though.
[Reply]
chippewastud79 05:37 PM 11-11-2008
I really think Lesnar is going to win that fight. He has amazing wrestling and quickness. Last fight he just decided to toy with his opponent for 3 rounds, I think he could do the same thing to Couture.

Not to write off Couture as too old, but I really think that Lesnar is the up-and-comer of the Heavyweight division. There is a reason he has a title shot after over 3 fights, its no coincidence that this kid can fight. :-)

For what its worth, just for giggles, I would like to see Dana sign Kimblow for one fight against Lesnar and watch him get wrecked. :-)
[Reply]
Page 6 of 78
« First < 456 781656 > Last »
Up