Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Page 1 of 4
1 23 > Last »
General Discussion>New Project : Resurrecting The Display Humi
shilala 12:44 PM 10-24-2011
I finally started reworking my big old display humi.
I got this thing a few years ago from Quaker Steak and Lube in Cranberry, PA. That's a Pittsburgh suburb. I brought it home, added fans, four of those little oasis humidifiers, and tons of cold cathode light tubes. Everything was controlled by an awesome control center that looked like a stack of cigar boxes. Lift the lid and there were all the control switches for everything.
The cold cathodes sucked. They were flaky and didn't like to work, or half the tube lit, or they didn't work at all. The humidifiers needed filling constantly cause it leaked like a sieve.
So I picked up an Avallo Accumonitor system and a big bunch of t5 flourescents, a plug bar and tons of silicone. So far I just tore her apart and sealed her up. Today I'm going to stain the fan bar so it matches the humi and mount the plug bar and try to figure out where I'll hide the computer power supply that powers the fans.

Here's a pic of the old girl before the tear down...

and here's a pic as she sits now...

I'll post updates as she goes. If you guys want detailed pics on the fans and lights and stuff, I'll show you how I did that stuff, too. :-)
[Reply]
deadrise 12:53 PM 10-24-2011
very cool good luck with the leaks
[Reply]
irratebass 01:12 PM 10-24-2011
This looks nice Scott, looking forward to the updates.
[Reply]
Remo 01:13 PM 10-24-2011
Very cool Scott, good luck.
[Reply]
shilala 01:19 PM 10-24-2011
I'm excited about seeing her all slap full up of cigars. I'm going to try to do some sort of inventory when I fill her up, just so I can guage how insane I am.
[Reply]
Blak Smyth 01:20 PM 10-24-2011
That will be one badass cabinet!
Good luck, keep us posted with pics!
[Reply]
kelmac07 01:58 PM 10-24-2011
Here we go. :-)
[Reply]
Apoco 02:58 PM 10-24-2011
Gonna go ahead and subscribe to this one. Best of luck! :-)
Posted via Mobile Device
[Reply]
N2 GOLD 03:16 PM 10-24-2011
& It begins... :-)
[Reply]
Lanks85 03:30 PM 10-24-2011
Stoked to see how this project comes along. She's a beaut! :-)
[Reply]
Boz 04:17 PM 10-24-2011
Wow very cool Scott. I cant wait to see it all filled up. :-)
[Reply]
MrClean 07:06 PM 10-24-2011
Nice project Scott, can't wait to see the progress!
[Reply]
SteelCityBoy 05:40 AM 10-25-2011
Scott, I had no idea you could pick up a humi from a Quaker Steak and Lube! First of all, I love that place and there are none out here neary Philly, second of all I didn't think they even sold cigars! Either way that is a awesome pick up and I would love to see how it progresses! I am in the market for a nice sized humi myself so PLEASE keep me posted if you see anything more out that way.

Even though you are having to put some work into that thing it should be well worth it in the end! :-)
[Reply]
longknocker 05:46 AM 10-25-2011
Looking Good, Brother!:-) Thanks For The Pics! :-)
[Reply]
shilala 07:26 AM 10-25-2011
Originally Posted by SteelCityBoy:
Scott, I had no idea you could pick up a humi from a Quaker Steak and Lube! First of all, I love that place and there are none out here neary Philly, second of all I didn't think they even sold cigars! Either way that is a awesome pick up and I would love to see how it progresses! I am in the market for a nice sized humi myself so PLEASE keep me posted if you see anything more out that way.

Even though you are having to put some work into that thing it should be well worth it in the end! :-)
I found this thing on Craigslist a few years ago, Ken. It had been in the Quaker Steak and Lube when they opened, along with a great big cigar locker. They moved away from that idea and had the humi and locker in storage. I went and took a look and dragged the humi home. I lived about an hour and a half northeast of Pittsburgh at that time.
You should keep an eye on Craigslist. Stuff like this shows up on there a lot. :-)
[Reply]
Lonely Raven 08:01 AM 10-25-2011
Very cool project! I'm looking forward to what you do with it!
[Reply]
Smokin Gator 08:07 AM 10-25-2011
I loved her before and look forward to the updates on the update!
[Reply]
NeuRon 08:13 AM 10-25-2011
nice work scott!
[Reply]
hscmit 12:06 PM 10-25-2011
nice project
[Reply]
irratebass 01:27 PM 10-25-2011
Originally Posted by shilala:
You should keep an eye on Craigslist. Stuff like this shows up on there a lot. :-)
Not in my area :-)
[Reply]
Page 1 of 4
1 23 > Last »
Up