Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Page 1 of 2
1 2 >
Sports>Is N.O. Coordinator Gregg Williams a dirtbag?
Resipsa 11:44 AM 01-29-2010
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...njure-manning/

I wanted to hear the words out of his own mouth before commenting on this so there would be no chance of confusion. I heard the interview this morning, and to hear this guy talk about how he isn't concerned about late hits on a QB, and to quote, "if you hit him, you hope he doesn't get up and play again" really astounded me.

I've got no problem with the quarterback being sacked, the guys fair game back there. But to insinuate that late hits are fine with him, and that the goal is to injure somebody is WAY over the fuggin line.

After watching all of the late hits on Favre last week (and anyone who knows me knows I can't stand Favre), and after listening to his most recent comments, it's possible to conclude that he's coaching the Saints players to hit people late. Maybe that's an unfair assessment and maybe it isn't, but I've got no respect for this guy.

On the bright side, now that it's out in the open and the refs and leagues are on to it,, let the flags fly on SB Sunday, :-)
[Reply]
NCRadioMan 11:56 AM 01-29-2010
I have no problem with it. I played on defensive line and that's what the coach's always told me on every level I played on. Like it or not, that is the mentality of every NFL defense, according to former players. I don't see how it can not be. He just chose to say it publicly.
[Reply]
kaisersozei 12:00 PM 01-29-2010
As a Redskins fan, I'm a fan of Gregg Williams' and his defense, and I like what he's done at N.O. :-)
[Reply]
Resipsa 12:03 PM 01-29-2010
Originally Posted by NCRadioMan:
I have no problem with it. I played on defensive line and that's what the coach's always told me on every level I played on. Like it or not, that is the mentality of every NFL defense, according to former players. I don't see how it can not be. He just chose to say it publicly.
So.........Greg. You have no problem with purposefully trying to injure another player? Just trying to make sure.:-)
[Reply]
captain53 12:06 PM 01-29-2010
It is a rough game and this is a part of it like it or not. Every defensive lineman works on the same plan from middle school thru the pros. It is all about winning and nothing else regardless of how you do it. That is the real world.
[Reply]
NCRadioMan 12:14 PM 01-29-2010
Originally Posted by Resipsa:
So.........Greg. You have no problem with purposefully trying to injure another player? Just trying to make sure.:-)
Nope. Not to threaten his career, but to put him out of the game....sure. Drastically late hits I don't agree with (I also don't agree with the special rules for QB's) but during regular play, my goal was to hit the guy with the ball so hard, he wouldn't remember his name. That's just the way the defense thinks and that's why you see so many hard hits. It's the way we were taught from the beginning.
[Reply]
Resipsa 12:19 PM 01-29-2010
Nope. Not to threaten his career, but to put him out of the game....sure. Drastically late hits I don't agree with but during regular play, my goal was to hit the guy with the ball so hard, he wouldn't remember his name. That's just the way the defense thinks and that's why you see so many hard hits. It's the way we were taught from the beginning.
Okay. We agree to disagree.

I played football for a long time, and was good enough to be a scholarship baby. Was taught to play hard, and clean. Never once was trying to injure another player taught to me, but we all have different life lessons.
[Reply]
NCRadioMan 12:40 PM 01-29-2010
Okay. We agree to disagree.

I played football for a long time, and was good enough to be a scholarship baby. Was taught to play hard, and clean. Never once was trying to injure another player taught to me, but we all have different life lessons.
I was also taught to play hard and clean and I did. I was also taught that if my clean, hard hit resulted in the other player having to leave the game, that was part of the game. I was blindsided once and couldn't return to the game because I was knocked a little loopy. Was I happy about it? Hells no but I understood it was a clean play and it's just part of the game. As you know, if you don't play all out and with reckless abandon, you are more likely to get hurt.

Just to clarify that I am not nuthugging Gregg Williams, I will be rooting for the Colts. :-)
[Reply]
Resipsa 12:46 PM 01-29-2010
I was also taught to play hard and clean and I did. I was also taught that if my clean, hard hit resulted in the other player having to leave the game, that was part of the game. I was blindsided once and couldn't return to the game because I was knocked a little loopy. Was I happy about it? Hells no but I understood it was a clean play and it's just part of the game. As you know, if you don't play all out and with reckless abandon, you are more likely to get hurt.

Just to clarify that I am not nuthugging Gregg Williams, I will be rooting for the Colts. :-)
I agree, if a good hard. Clean hit happens to injure somebody, that's life and a
part of
football. If i dive at another players knees to try to teat his knee up and put him ou of the game, that's not
part of
fotball. If I'm advocating g for my players to lay LATE hits on
peoe with the hope that they can injure the other QB well for
me
that's not a part
of
the game
[Reply]
Tombstone 12:52 PM 01-29-2010
It's football not ballet. Just play within the rules.
[Reply]
Blueface 01:10 PM 01-29-2010
Vic,
While I totally agree that no one should play to purposely hurt someone, it would be naive to think many players don't go out looking to put a hurt on other players. It is a fact whether they care to admit it or not. Some of these defensive players love to see a QB or receiver go down and take some time getting back up, if get back up at all.

I don't think a single defensive player lays a hit on another player, that spins them around, knocks them senseless and often out of the game, with the original intent of hugging them and sharing love. Did you see the hit on Warner that nearly sent him to Mars, as he was forced to play defense on that play? He was blindsided with the hope his brains would be all over the ground.
[Reply]
Volt 01:18 PM 01-29-2010
Can't say I like to see a late hit when the play is over. The ball is dead and there is no reason to do the hit on an unsuspecting player. On the other hand - it's football. Hard hits jar the ball loose, intimidate/scare a player into a bad move, etc. For $800,000 or more a game, get over it. There is always the chessmasters tournament.

I actually prefer watching Aussie rules football or rugby. Don't really understand all the rules but it's as hard or harder hitting and none of the padding the US boys wear. No one leaves those games without some blood showing. They bandage up and get right back in.
[Reply]
E.J. 01:26 PM 01-29-2010
I don't see anything wrong with G.W.'s comments....

I hit people to hurt them..... I was floating in the backfield just looking to blow people up. It was my favorite part of them game....

Did I want to cause permanent damage, no..... But you bet your ass I wanted them helped off the field....I was trying to hurt them. I wanted them worried, no....not worried, scared...about getting hit again. I wanted highlight reel stuff when coaches went over film....and them to mention hits later in the week.

I don't think that there is anything wrong with playing the game this way....
[Reply]
Scottw 01:31 PM 01-29-2010
Play hard, play fair and have fun. If someone gets hurt, oh well. I had surgery in 06 to repair an old football injury that occured in 93. I lost my football scholarship to college as a result but it was a clean, fair play. My shoulder just exploded as a result.
[Reply]
drob 01:40 PM 01-29-2010
Damned if I can't wait for this SB to be done. If it's not "the refs gave the game to the Saints", it's that they play dirty. I never read anything in that interview about Williams saying they wanted to injure anyone. That was implied by the reporter. The truth of the matter is, there were missed calls and bad calls against both teams in the Viking game. The same type of hit that drew a flag on NO earlier was made on Brees at the end of regulation. No one belly aching about that, tho. The hit on Favre after the handoff that drew a flag was perfectly legal, as he could have thru a block (and we know he doesn't have any qualms about going for defensive players' knees). And the personal foul against Hargrove for "driving" Farve into the ground was ridiculous, that according to Troy Aikman and Joe Theisman. Football is a violent sport. People get hurt. Whether or not they are hurt legally or illegally seems to be in the minds of the fans.

But, I understand your concern, Vic. I doubt if Peyton could take even one of the hits that Farve took and still "want" to play, much less be able to.
[Reply]
Blueface 02:32 PM 01-29-2010
Originally Posted by drob:
But, I understand your concern, Vic. I doubt if Peyton could take even one of the hits that Farve took and still "want" to play, much less be able to.
I don't think I have ever seen Peyton take this shot.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pC1T1tAbA4s

That was a legit hit, part of the game, and obviously meant to put him down. That stuff goes on in any game as it is part of it.
[Reply]
Resipsa 04:02 PM 01-29-2010
Doyle.......Carlos....:-)

yeah. Mannings a lightweight. Not like he ever took a helmet to the face and played the rest of the game with a broken jaw.....oh wait, he did. Not quite ad thrilling as watching Favre talk about his latest hangnail and how he'll try to
play thru it, but oh well.

Anywhoo, Doyle since dem Saints are going to bash the Colts I'm sure I can look forward to a friendly wager:-)

You'll be giving me points right? I mean given the dominance of the Saints D and all it only seems fair:-)
[Reply]
Blueface 04:04 PM 01-29-2010
Doyle.......Carlos....:-)

yeah. Mannings a lightweight. Not like he ever took a helmet to the face and played the rest of the game with a broken jaw.....oh wait, he did. Not quite ad thrilling as watching Favre talk about his latest hangnail and how he'll try to
play thru it, but oh well.

Anywhoo, Doyle since dem Saints are going to bash the Colts I'm sure I can look forward to a friendly wager:-)

You'll be giving me points right? I mean given the dominance of the Saints D and all it only seems fair:-)
A broken jaw? That is all?:-)
Actually, forgot about that.
Besides, Peyton is one big boy.
Just messing with you.
[Reply]
Resipsa 04:30 PM 01-29-2010
I know Carlos man it's all in fun. Me, I just can't stand dirty football players and again, me, thinks there's way too many players, coaches and fans who equate a dirty player or d with a good tough player or D. I love bone crunchings hits as much as the next guy, I just think there's a difference between that and dirty play.
[Reply]
drob 08:31 PM 01-29-2010
Who said anything about a dominant defense? Seems your twisting that story like you did the Williams interview. They haven't been a dominant defense all season. What they have been is opportunistic, causing turnovers when they need them, and converting them into points.

Give you points? Don't be an ass. You started the thread with the intention of stirring up ****, so live with it.
[Reply]
Page 1 of 2
1 2 >
Up