Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Accessory Discussion / Reviews>Humidity Differences Around Humi
Flynnster 10:13 PM 01-28-2015
Hello everyone,
Things have been going well for my little 150 count humidor, but it is full up to the brim. I've always kept my hydrometer near my bead tube because it was it was convenient, but recently I tried putting it down towards the bottom and noticed it's reading about 8% lower down there.

I can't imagine such a fluctuation in such a small humidor. Is this normal?
[Reply]
NCRadioMan 01:21 AM 01-29-2015
If you have the hygrometer near your humidification, it's gonna have an artificially high reading to begin with.

I would guess it's no more than 4/5% difference and wouldn't worry about it. If it concerns you that much, just rotate the cigars every few months.

:-)
[Reply]
CigarNut 06:46 AM 01-29-2015
In addition to what Greg said above, if your humidor is packed full then there may also be variances in RH due to lack of airflow. This is not necessarily a problem, but it something to be aware of. Just my :-)
[Reply]
dijit 08:14 AM 01-29-2015
Originally Posted by CigarNut:
In addition to what Greg said above, if your humidor is packed full then there may also be variances in RH due to lack of airflow. This is not necessarily a problem, but it something to be aware of. Just my :-)
In smaller humidors air flow can be an issue but it also can be remedied by opening the humidor every few days. Just long enough to let some air movement. About the same amount of time it would take to grab a cigar off the top row. It always seemed to work when I had my 150 count.
[Reply]
Sadden 09:57 AM 01-29-2015
Spreading them out may help. Or adding some more down there.

In my tower I have 4 pounds on the floor. 1 pound on each shelf for boxes , and a 2oz stick in each compartment of the singles drawer. It keeps things nice and stable accross the board. Theres also a circulation fan to help keep things circulating.

Also take a look at any seams down there and make sure theres no leaks.
[Reply]
shilala 11:03 AM 01-29-2015
I would file this problem under "needs no attention whatsoever" and get on back to your regular programming. :-)
[Reply]
STEVE S 11:37 AM 01-29-2015
Originally Posted by shilala:
I would file this problem under "needs no attention whatsoever" and get on back to your regular programming. :-)
I agree with Scott, if you are storing your cigars for a long period of time you might want to do some rotating.:-)
[Reply]
bobarian 11:48 AM 01-29-2015
Originally Posted by shilala:
:-) Dont judge your cigars by a number on a plastic box. If you like the way they are smoking, carry on. If you find some off flavors or a wonky burn, you may need to make a minor tweak. :-)
[Reply]
czerbe 12:18 PM 01-29-2015
Originally Posted by bobarian:
:-) Dont judge your cigars by a number on a plastic box. If you like the way they are smoking, carry on. If you find some off flavors or a wonky burn, you may need to make a minor tweak. :-)
:-)

Air flow can help if your humi is small and packed the stick towards the bottom are not going to get the same time of air flow down there. Also are you using a Digital Reader or an analog. Makes a big difference?
[Reply]
Flynnster 12:52 PM 01-29-2015
Thanks guys, glad to hear it isn't nearly as big of an issue as I was worried it could be. And I'm using a digital reader, that's been calibrated.

Thanks all, I'll get back to smoking.
[Reply]
Up