Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Page 2 of 2
< 12
All Cigar Discussion>Davidoff - Like, Love, or not worth the money?
JackSchwartz 10:43 AM 10-27-2008
Just a heads up to all the folks who like the Aniversario #3's (one of my favorite Davidoffs). They're now making them in 10 count boxes without tubos now. It saves you a buck or two per cigar.

My favorite Davidoff right now is anything in the Winston Churchill line. The first few boxes we received were a little green in my opinion. I picked up some grassy/earthy taste in there that reminded me of the Gran Cru line. Last couple shipments we received have been outstanding.

Eric
[Reply]
Mugen910 10:48 AM 10-27-2008
Originally Posted by BengalMan:
The Maduro's are very young and have been notorious for having burn problems. The ones I have I'm letting sit for about 6 months and will revisit them.
Yup I wasn't totally impressed with the Maddy...but time will tell if they stay in line with the other yummy stuff.:-)
[Reply]
papajohn67 03:40 PM 10-27-2008
Originally Posted by JackSchwartz:
Just a heads up to all the folks who like the Aniversario #3's (one of my favorite Davidoffs). They're now making them in 10 count boxes without tubos now. It saves you a buck or two per cigar.

My favorite Davidoff right now is anything in the Winston Churchill line. The first few boxes we received were a little green in my opinion. I picked up some grassy/earthy taste in there that reminded me of the Gran Cru line. Last couple shipments we received have been outstanding.

Eric

Now that makes me feel mighty good since I have some WC's arriving from you folks tomorrow. :-)
[Reply]
hdroadglide 04:40 PM 10-27-2008
this is just what makes the world go round. i have never cared for the flavor profile of davidoff (although i've never tried a cc). for the price, i'd rather have a nice tatuaje. but that's just me. more for everyone else!!
[Reply]
JackSchwartz 03:24 PM 10-28-2008
Originally Posted by papajohn67:
Now that makes me feel mighty good since I have some WC's arriving from you folks tomorrow. :-)
I was lucky enough to meet Winston Churchill's grandson when I was in Las Vegas for the trade show. Very nice gentleman. He was a news correspondent after graduating college. When I told him I was from Chicago he told me a great story. "I've covered many conflicts and wars; from Vietnam to the Middle East. Funny enough, the only time I was injured covering a story was at the 1968 Democratic National Convention in Chicago."
I guess he was going back to his hotel room when two cops approached him and asked him where he thought he was going. He told them he was heading back to his hotel. "Oh yeah, where's your key and what's your name", the cops asked. "Here's my key, and my name is Winston Churchill", he replied. CRACK!!! The cop smacked him over the head with his baton. "You some kind of wise guy?"

Thought that was a funny story. Intrestigly enough we have a little connection to Winston Churchill as well. Jack Schwartz presented him with a case of Montecristo cigars when Churchill came to Chicago. We have a photo in the shop.

[Reply]
68TriShield 03:31 PM 10-28-2008
That's really interesting.Thanks for posting it Eric :-)
[Reply]
68TriShield 04:49 PM 10-28-2008
Originally Posted by 68TriShield:
That's really interesting.Thanks for posting it Eric :-)
Oh and as far as Davidoff as a brand,there are cigars in the line that I like.
Never bought a box because there are too many equal cigars for much less $.
[Reply]
weak_link 04:56 PM 10-28-2008
I really enjoy the Ani no 3's and the original no 2's. Shame about the price but they do have a place in my rotation every once in a while. Special 't' are also great, almost forgot those.
[Reply]
papajohn67 06:37 PM 10-28-2008
Originally Posted by JackSchwartz:

Eric
Eric

Your WC's arrived today. So was the 8 stick sampler made up from recent shipments?

BTW the Prometheus Legend is going to serve me well. What a deal!!
[Reply]
Sauer Grapes 09:01 PM 10-28-2008
Can't say I cared for the winston churchill, especially at the price point. Really, at any price point I wasn't too impressed.

Can't say I have had too many regular Davidoff cigars, but the ones I've had I wasn't impressed with at the price point. They weren't horrible though. They are just kind of bland to me at times.

Had a Maduro this weekend. It was actually good, but again not for the price point. At half the price, I'd buy a box though. The cigar was really smooth for a non-aged maduro. Overall it was just a solid stick.
[Reply]
JackSchwartz 07:32 AM 10-29-2008
Originally Posted by papajohn67:
Eric

Your WC's arrived today. So was the 8 stick sampler made up from recent shipments?

BTW the Prometheus Legend is going to serve me well. What a deal!!
Those Winston Churchills are from recent shipments. I've smoked the Chequers and the Marrakesh from this latest batch and found them to be excellent.

Also, I tested all the Legend lighters before we sent them out. All worked great. I liked the strong flame on them.

Enjoy the smokes.

Eric
[Reply]
Addiction 08:00 AM 10-29-2008
I love Davidoff, but I do think they can be a little expensive. When I look at the price I think "Davidoff or Cohiba" and Cohiba is a clear winner in that comparison.
[Reply]
Legend 12:35 PM 10-29-2008
Since I haven't had one, I'll have to go with not worth it. Just can't pull the trigger.
[Reply]
papajohn67 12:44 PM 10-29-2008
Originally Posted by Sauer Grapes:
Can't say I cared for the winston churchill, especially at the price point. Really, at any price point I wasn't too impressed.

Can't say I have had too many regular Davidoff cigars, but the ones I've had I wasn't impressed with at the price point. They weren't horrible though. They are just kind of bland to me at times.

Had a Maduro this weekend. It was actually good, but again not for the price point. At half the price, I'd buy a box though. The cigar was really smooth for a non-aged maduro. Overall it was just a solid stick.
I smoked a WC Chequers late last night and enjoyed it quite a bit. Very unique taste. Great draw and burn. However I can see where the cigar might not suit a great many peoples tastes....not implying cigar snobbery but the WC did float this BOTL's boat. I have to agree it is a pricy sucker!!
[Reply]
massphatness 12:57 PM 10-29-2008
Originally Posted by Legend:
Since I haven't had one, I'll have to go with not worth it.
How can you pass judgement on a cigar you haven't had?

I've never had a Davidoff either -- so I can't make any kind of value judgement on the stick.
[Reply]
ahc4353 01:02 PM 10-29-2008
Originally Posted by massphatness:
How can you pass judgement on a cigar you haven't had?

You are so smart.

I've never had a Davidoff either -- so I can't make any kind of value judgement on the stick.

I will fix this next trip up. I will pick up two Aniversario #3's and a bottle of Cragganmore.
Next :-) trip!
[Reply]
AdamC 09:22 AM 10-30-2008
Mwuahaha! I just got some of these last sat. Just the 9cigar sampler and a few others.
[Reply]
SonsofClubDeck 09:24 AM 10-30-2008
Like em' but not enough to pay out for them. However, their full-flavored cigarettes will straight up Terry Tate your ass. $4 per pack in NC but well worth it.
[Reply]
Page 2 of 2
< 12
Up