Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Page 1 of 2
1 2 >
All Cigar Discussion>toasting vs. drawing while lighting
Ender 02:55 PM 10-23-2008
I hear so much talk about slow toasting the foot of the stick as opposed to lighting while you draw. I would love to hear some opinions on this matter. Personally I draw while the heat of the flame is barely close enough to touch the foot. What do yas think?
[Reply]
NCRadioMan 03:00 PM 10-23-2008
To each his own. I light it right up while drawing on it. Never found that toasting made a difference.
[Reply]
Scottw 03:04 PM 10-23-2008
I light it without drawing if I have my torch handy. I think it is just habit.
[Reply]
zmancbr 03:06 PM 10-23-2008
I will toast the foot until it is pretty charred and then take a draw or two to make sure that it is lit and it burning evenly.

So I guess I do both! :-)
[Reply]
Da Klugs 03:08 PM 10-23-2008
http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/showthread.php?t=1906

I was not ready to start working again. :-)
[Reply]
Mugen910 03:14 PM 10-23-2008
Originally Posted by Da Klugs:

Da Klugs style is the one I imitate. :-)
[Reply]
Golfman 03:14 PM 10-23-2008
I find that toasting it for a few seconds creates an even burn and requires less draw to fully light the smoke. When i draw a lot on an untoasted foot i tend to drool a little bit on the cigar which i try and avoid
[Reply]
ucla695 03:42 PM 10-23-2008
I toast the foot of the cigar evenly and then light it while drawing. I've haven't tried Da Klugs method in a while so I'll give that a try this weekend.
[Reply]
zmancbr 04:04 PM 10-23-2008
Originally Posted by Mugen910:
Often imitated but never duplicated.... :-)
[Reply]
bigloo 05:18 PM 10-23-2008
Used to draw, then toast, used a bottle of butane in a month, went back to drawing (not to save gas, but to save filling up my lighters every week). After the draw I breath through the cigar to expel any super hot smoke...thats my method at least, each his own.
[Reply]
Mugen910 05:25 PM 10-23-2008
Originally Posted by Mugen910:
Originally Posted by zmancbr:
Often imitated but never duplicated.... :-)
Tru Tru :-)
[Reply]
Ashcan Bill 05:26 PM 10-23-2008

I found it interesting that Dave and I not only light them pretty much the same, but smoke them pretty much the same as far as the way we exhale out the old snout. More in the begining, less if strong/tanic, etc.

Tragically we part ways on the cut. I generally punch the little buggers. Sometimes they squeal.
[Reply]
Volt 05:33 PM 10-23-2008
Originally Posted by NCRadioMan:
To each his own. I light it right up while drawing on it. Never found that toasting made a difference.
:-)

I don't care for the taste toasting gives the foot. In fact, give me a triple flame on high and stoke that puppy up.
[Reply]
ucubed 05:41 PM 10-23-2008
I toast a bit, up to the point that I can see most of the foot is lit, then I begin to draw and light to make sure it is completely lit and lit evenly for that matter
[Reply]
mrreindeer 05:57 PM 10-23-2008
There are probably an infinite number of ways to get a good light. Here is one. I toast the foot.. flame on or a little off of the tobacco. In between I blow on the glowing foot. Take no draws on the cigar during the process. Try to get the entire foot including the wrapper glowing. Usually its 2-3 toast and blow alternations to get a good even burn. After it is achieved wait a few seconds and start taking light draws on the cigar and recheck the evenness of the burn. If necessary torch and blow again.

Starting with light vs heavy draws on the cigar helps prevent an initial run and improves the burn for the entire cigar.
Originally Posted by ucla695:
I toast the foot of the cigar evenly and then light it while drawing.
Originally Posted by bigloo:
After the draw I breath through the cigar to expel any super hot smoke...thats my method at least, each his own.
:-):-):-)I'm mostly with Dave [Da Klugs] on this one with slight variation to include Mike's [ucla695] & Lou's? [bigloo] technique. I've got a single flame/torch Xikar combo...the EX [this one: http://www.xikar.com/product_lighter_ex.asp# ] and while I love how it looks and the Xikar warranty, I'm finding it's doing a so-so job at lighting. It could be me but it just takes too long. I'm thinking I might have to go with Volt's below or at least a double torch, although I know I'm not supposed to rush it.

Following Dave's method, I slowly rotate the cigar in my hand, toasting the foot with the flame. But I find that the results are often very uneven lighting. I'll toast and look and blow on the foot to get it glowing and repeat until I've mostly gotten it all glowing. If it's being stubborn or I'm being impatient (usually it's the latter as I, like Golfman, tend to drool in anticipation as I'm lighting. :-):-):-)), I'll torch & draw. When I say the cigar is stubborn, sometimes I've gotten it off to an uneven burn due to inefficient rotating or there's a plug right at the head or whatever, it's just not lighting the way it should be, evenly.

If I feel I've gotten it too hot or the breeze blows and gives me the urge, perhaps I might blow through it like bigloo.

Originally Posted by Volt:
In fact, give me a triple flame on high and stoke that puppy up.
So should I move on from the Xikar EX and get a double torch? If so, which one? I've heard trips (triple torches) take way too much gas....
[Reply]
Rockestone 05:58 PM 10-23-2008
Spark it up and draw until the flame is about 2 inches high. Then blow it out.:-)
[Reply]
mrreindeer 06:30 PM 10-23-2008
Originally Posted by Rockestone:
Spark it up and draw until the flame is about 2 inches high. Then blow it out.:-)

or there's that... :-):-):-):-):-):-)
[Reply]
BlackIrish 06:36 PM 10-23-2008
I've lit them pretty much every which way. Lately I've been using the method Klugs describes because I find a get a more even burn (can't seem to get it straight if I draw while lighting) and it burns less hot at the start.

BlackIrish
[Reply]
BC-Axeman 06:40 PM 10-23-2008
Does anyone else use a propane torch and flame it 'till it's going, then smoke away?
That's how I do it when I'm in my garage.
Otherwise I toast a bit then light while drawing.
[Reply]
duckmanco 06:43 PM 10-23-2008
I used to be a toast the foot all the way guy, but lately its been lightly toast, and then draw using the flame. I have begun to love that burst of flavor from drawing while lighting. It sort of lets me know where the cigar may be heading.
[Reply]
Page 1 of 2
1 2 >
Up