Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
All Cigar Discussion>Travel to the Dominican
Dinosaur Jr 06:32 PM 10-27-2008
I'm going to the Dominican Republic during the holidays this year. At first I was pretty excited about the cigar options down there, but from what I've been reading the prices in DR are crazy as they must export then re-import their cigars back into the country. It also sounds like there are lots of fakes (cc's and non-cc's).

Are there a good cigar experiences to be had down there? I'm staying in Puerto Plata and I'm wondering if there might be a good factory tour or something that some of you may have experienced.

Thanks.
[Reply]
MikeyC 07:14 PM 10-27-2008
I was in the Dominican about a year ago and there are PLENTY of glass top Cohibos, etc. down there. Plus, as you mentioned cigars made on the island must be exported and re-imported. So, prices on Dominican products are AWFUL.

If you're looking for CC's be careful, but there are some genuine articles to be found in a few places (I stayed at Casa De Campo BTW). No LCDH so you can't be 100% sure but I did see some items that I was 99% sure were legit although they were a few dollars more than MSRP.

As for Dominican products . . . honestly the most fair prices I found were at the duty free in the airport on the way out. The prices other places were more than what I pay at home.
[Reply]
Anthem 07:19 PM 10-27-2008
I think what you've heard about the exporting of the DR cigars is correct. I was also warned about fakes. I saw some vendors selling cigars and IMO, the prices were too good to be true, so I passed.

I did visit a small factory in Punta Cana (Domenico Cigars). The tour was good and the prices reasonable. I was able to try a cigar and then was able to buy different cigars (different sizes, wrappers, etc.) I was under the impression that they were opening a showroom in P.P. but I don't see any information on their website about this.

Enjoy your trip!!!:-)
[Reply]
md4958 07:20 PM 10-27-2008
Originally Posted by MikeyC:
Plus, as you mentioned cigars made on the island must be exported and re-imported. So, prices on Dominican products are AWFUL.

thats one of the dumbest things ive ever heard:-)
[Reply]
Anthem 07:38 PM 10-27-2008
This is from the Cigar Family website (which includes Arturo Fuente), they do have to export then re-import according to this site.

http://www.cigarfamily.com/content/i...d=36&Itemid=35
[Reply]
Dinosaur Jr 07:47 PM 10-27-2008
Originally Posted by Anthem:
This is from the Cigar Family website (which includes Arturo Fuente), they do have to export then re-import according to this site.

http://www.cigarfamily.com/content/i...d=36&Itemid=35
Thanks for the link. That sums it up well.
[Reply]
MTB996 07:49 PM 10-27-2008
Yeah, I thought about vacationing there myself, but the lack of Fuente factory tour (unless its by invitation) sealed the deal against it for me. I would think a factory tour of several great DR cigar factories would be the bomb if they would oblige.

Have fun down there, even if you have to bring your own.
[Reply]
Dinosaur Jr 07:50 PM 10-27-2008
Originally Posted by Anthem:

I did visit a small factory in Punta Cana (Cigars). The tour was good and the prices reasonable. I was able to try a cigar and then was able to buy different cigars (different sizes, wrappers, etc.) I was under the impression that they were opening a showroom in P.P. but I don't see any information on their website about this.

Enjoy your trip!!!:-)
I checked this place out and as you say they don't have any info on a showroom in PP. Thanks.
[Reply]
Dinosaur Jr 07:52 PM 10-27-2008
Originally Posted by MTB996:
Have fun down there, even if you have to bring your own.
Thanks! Yeah, maybe I can find a small factory for local only cigars. We'll see. I would have picked cuba, but unfortunately it didn't work out.
[Reply]
MikeyC 08:50 PM 10-27-2008
Originally Posted by md4958:
thats one of the dumbest things ive ever heard:-)
Yeah. Typically you expect if you're travelling to where an item is made that it would be cheaper there but not so in this case. I saw SO much Opus X while I was down there but the prices were OUTRAGEOUS. The prices were almost as high as Casa Fuente in Vegas where I saw cigars at 3-4 times what MSRP is.
[Reply]
Up