Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Accessory Discussion / Reviews>Original Cigar Oasis: worth a try?
Joseywales 07:20 AM 12-06-2009
I have a chance to buy a decent 150-200 count tower/drawers style humidor and it comes with the original Cigar Oasis. I know it will need a refill, so:

1 - are refills for the original still available? a) Same refilss as for the newer models?

2 - The newer models have digital readouts, which aren't exact anyway, so, is there any reason to shy away from the original? What are its drawbacks?

3 - can this original be calibrated?

thanks everyone
[Reply]
borndead1 07:31 AM 12-06-2009
I use them in both my wine fridges and couldn't be happier. In fact, I switched FROM beads to Cigar Oasis.

The hygro reading is not accurate. I don't know if you can calibrate them. I have a digital hygro for an accurate reading, and adjust the CO based on what it reads.

Refill cartridges should still be around. Check www.famous-smoke.com
[Reply]
NCRadioMan 01:38 PM 12-06-2009
The Oasis would be overkill in such a small humidor, imo. I only use a couple of water pillows in my 500 counts and they stay a perfect 62%.
[Reply]
Joseywales 02:57 PM 12-06-2009
Originally Posted by NCRadioMan:
The Oasis would be overkill in such a small humidor, imo. I only use a couple of water pillows in my 500 counts and they stay a perfect 62%.
It's an older Pompeii vertical with 6 or 7 drawers and I'm wondering if the Oasis, or any unit, can provide ample humidity throughout. I might pass all together.
[Reply]
AD720 03:19 PM 12-06-2009
Originally Posted by Joseywales:
I have a chance to buy a decent 150-200 count tower/drawers style humidor and it comes with the original Cigar Oasis. I know it will need a refill, so:

1 - are refills for the original still available? a) Same refilss as for the newer models?

2 - The newer models have digital readouts, which aren't exact anyway, so, is there any reason to shy away from the original? What are its drawbacks?

3 - can this original be calibrated?

thanks everyone
Checking craigslist huh? :-) If I was closer to that ad I would jump on it too.

Anyway I think the Oasis would be overkill for that humidor. Just get some beads tubes. I have a similar humi to that one, with drawers, and just have bead bags in the drawers with the sticks.

But for the sake of discussion I run an Oasis in my cabinet and I dug out all the foam and replaced it with the crystal/gel and it works great. Search around, Bobby (S15driftking) posted a good tutorial on doing it.

If you pick up the package and end up not using the Oasis let me know if you want to trade it for some sticks.
[Reply]
Joseywales 04:13 PM 12-06-2009
Thanks for the info.

I'm not that close either. Just have to get creative :-)

I currently use beads in my desktop and a cooler.

Don't you find them to be a hassle in each drawer? Maybe I should use different beads.

Do you find these 6 drawer types to be useful?
[Reply]
AD720 04:18 PM 12-06-2009
Mine has 2 doors, behind each door is a set of 4 drawers.

Pic:

Anyway I have a couple of small bead bags and a couple of bead tubes, one in each drawer and that works great.

Obviously with drawers you are losing some space as opposed to a humi with the same exterior dimensions that is just an empty box but I really like the organization factor.
[Reply]
Joseywales 02:43 PM 12-10-2009
Very nice. I did grab the Pompeii and the wood is very similar to yours. Previous owner ran it with the bottom drawer out and Oasis in. still thinking that one through.

I did read the post on the modified OASIS and removed all of the foam. I might just try distilled water in there, though I'm still not certain I'll use it for this humidor. I keep my eyes peeled for a cheap wine cooler.

Thanks for the heads up and I'll keep you in mind if I dump the OASIS.
[Reply]
Up