Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Page 2 of 2
< 12
Accessory Discussion / Reviews>finished this humidor not long ago
GTsetGO 12:51 PM 11-25-2009
nice work. how was the tear out with the black walnut?
[Reply]
katchemak2 08:21 AM 11-26-2009
Tear out ? not sure exactly what you are referring to.
[Reply]
ChasDen 09:30 AM 11-26-2009
Originally Posted by GTsetGO:
nice work. how was the tear out with the black walnut?

Originally Posted by katchemak2:
Tear out ? not sure exactly what you are referring to.
Common woodworking term (at least around here)

Tear out - broken or torn fibers resulting from damage as the blade of a tool exits the cut.

Generally speaking, keep very sharp tools with these kinds of woods to minimize the damage.

Chas
[Reply]
katchemak2 09:44 AM 11-26-2009
I am definately farmiliar with the term in the woodworking sense. Black walnut tends to tear out less than other wood like maple or cherry especially if there is curl or figure in the wood. I own and operate a fine furniture and architectural woodworking shop so we have the tooling to deal with tear out in any and all species, though the right order and process in machining and fabrication is still critical.
[Reply]
katchemak2 09:47 AM 11-26-2009
Chasden judt saw your vino trays pretty cool
[Reply]
O-Danger 03:03 PM 11-26-2009
Looks great, I was curious as to how you obtained the finish, I built myself a black walnut/zebrano humidor about a year ago and the finish isn't what I was hoping for, just wanted to know how you did it.

Thanks,

Tom
[Reply]
katchemak2 07:50 PM 11-26-2009
well there is obviously no finish on the interior spanish cedar. The exterior black walnut is first coated with a tung oil or linseed oil based finish such as waterlox or watco danish oil which is applied and then wiped off and allowed to dry for 24 hours. After that I sprayed a conversion varnish, 1 primer coat and then 2 finish coats not exceeding 4-6 mils of finish thickness, which is what the manufacturer recomends. In between each coat I scuff sand with a minimum of 400 grit sand paper. I have been using this finish and methodology for the last 12 years on a variety of architectural and furniture projects and although it has evolved the basics are pretty much the same. hope this helps
[Reply]
Page 2 of 2
< 12
Up