Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Accessory Discussion / Reviews>How Long to Season Cigar Caddy?
E.J. 03:18 PM 11-06-2009
Just purchased a 18 stick Cigar Caddy. Came with the Boveda pack. I was under the impression I could use it right away, but the instruction said 2 weeks.

Maybe it was the Boveda pack that was saying 2 week wait....but whatever it was, open....put Boveda pack in, close....wait 2 weeks.

This is not a great option for me.....

Thoughts...advice.....?
[Reply]
Whee 03:19 PM 11-06-2009
Have to say I never seasoned any of my caddies, and they seemed to do just fine.
[Reply]
The Poet 03:22 PM 11-06-2009
WTF? If you're using the Caddy as, well, a caddy as opposed to long-time storage, I can't see the need to season it.
[Reply]
bvilchez 03:22 PM 11-06-2009
Same here...never seasoned
[Reply]
chippewastud79 03:22 PM 11-06-2009
Not even sure how you season a plastic box. What in there holds humidity besides the small green disc? :-)
I use the caddy as more of a dry box. Unless you are going to have them out of a humidor for weeks at a time I wouldn't worry about a humi-pac. :-)
[Reply]
E.J. 03:26 PM 11-06-2009
Originally Posted by The Poet:
WTF? If you're using the Caddy as, well, a caddy as opposed to long-time storage, I can't see the need to season it.
8 Days worth of storage.....
[Reply]
E.J. 03:29 PM 11-06-2009
Maybe the foam absorbs some of the humidity...? I don't know?????

Just telling what I am reading and then bringing in the question....

No green disk...just humi-pak....
[Reply]
chippewastud79 03:32 PM 11-06-2009
Originally Posted by E.J.:
8 Days worth of storage.....
8 days, no problem. There is enough humidity in the sticks to maintain smokability :-)
[Reply]
The Poet 03:38 PM 11-06-2009
Originally Posted by chippewastud79:
8 days, no problem. There is enough humidity in the sticks to maintain smokability :-)
:-)
[Reply]
Darrell 03:39 PM 11-06-2009
Agreed.

However, try and keep them someplace cool. Don't leave them in your trunk in 80 degree weather or anything like that.
[Reply]
E.J. 03:45 PM 11-06-2009
EXCELLENT! Thanks for the info and setting my mind at ease.

Besides a little movement here and there, the case should be in climate controlled environment.

What a wealth of knowledge this place is....
[Reply]
RonC 06:19 PM 11-06-2009
use it right away. the instructions on your boveda refer to a new wood desktop humidor.
[Reply]
Sauer Grapes 06:21 PM 11-06-2009
Really it depends on the type of seasoning. Sale or pepper, you should probably season for two weeks. Now, if you add garlic or cayenne into the mix, it cuts the seasoning time down to only a few days.
[Reply]
bobarian 07:55 PM 11-06-2009
It will take at least two weeks to season properly. Add humidification device and monitor closely, checking Rh every 60 minutes. Chart your Rh for any fluctuations. After two weeks if your Rh maintains within 10% then you must recalibrate your hygrometer and test for another two weeks. If you miss any 60minute reading during the two weeks you must start over from the begininning.

Now this is the critical part, do not put any cigars in the caddy, ever. Use a double seal ziplock bag and leave the caddy at home. If the Rh remains constant you can use the caddy on your next trip.

Of course you could just bypass the seasoning part and just put your cigars in the caddy once you take it out of the box. :-)
[Reply]
Barteur 09:53 PM 11-06-2009
Originally Posted by bobarian:
It will take at least two weeks to season properly. Add humidification device and monitor closely, checking Rh every 60 minutes. Chart your Rh for any fluctuations. After two weeks if your Rh maintains within 10% then you must recalibrate your hygrometer and test for another two weeks. If you miss any 60minute reading during the two weeks you must start over from the begininning.

Now this is the critical part, do not put any cigars in the caddy, ever. Use a double seal ziplock bag and leave the caddy at home. If the Rh remains constant you can use the caddy on your next trip.

Of course you could just bypass the seasoning part and just put your cigars in the caddy once you take it out of the box. :-)
:-):-):-):-)
[Reply]
joetownhound 10:40 PM 11-06-2009
Now that is just wrong.:-):-)
Originally Posted by bobarian:

[Reply]
E.J. 12:12 AM 11-08-2009
I do appreciate you making fun of the ignorant.....:-)
[Reply]
14holestogie 03:42 AM 11-08-2009
Originally Posted by E.J.:
I do appreciate you making fun of the ignorant.....:-)
All in good fun, brother. :-)
[Reply]
yourchoice 04:51 AM 11-08-2009
I use the caddy as more of a dry box.
I've been doing this too with great results. I pick out what I think may be next ten or so victims and keep the caddy in the car. I don't do this during the summer but the car still gets warm sometimes. For the short time they're there I'm not too worried about them though. Besides, it's nice to always have a few with me in case the mood strikes. :-)

However, I do not return any of them to my main humidor. Not worth worrying about the temperature spikes and potential beetle larvae hatchings.
[Reply]
Up