Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Page 5 of 7
« First < 345 67 >
Good Eats>Super fattie contest
Chainsaw13 04:02 PM 05-31-2010
Ok, I tried my hand at making a Super Fattie. A lot of flavor combinations were running through my head and I ended up going with a Mexican inspired version.

Ingredients:
2lbs of Chorizo Sausage (a Mexican grocery near me makes some of the best chorizo I've found)
1/2 lb of Beef Shortrib Adobado (bones removed before going in the fattie)
Corn Bread Mix (to act as a chiles rellenos batter)
Anahiem Chiles (roasted, cleaned and seeded)
Huitlacoche (a fungus that grows on corn. Called the Mexican truffle. Very earthy with a slight corn flavor. This was put in the roasted chile with some of the cheese)
Chihuaua Cheese
Oaxaca Chese (stuffed in the chile)
Cilantro
Onion
Tomatillo Salsa (not pictured, mixed in the cornbread batter)

The finished producted turned out awesome, served along some mexican rice and refried black beans. The cornbread batter tasted a lot more like a tamale, soaking up a lot of the rendered fat from the sausage. One bite you get a taste of the chile/cheese/huitlacoche, another the cornbread and a nugget of the shortribs.

I had a issue while rolling where the outer sauage layer broke so I had to wrap in aluminum foil to cook it. Mental note for next time, make sure to hand mix the sausage thoroughly for a cohesive binding.
Attached: Mexican Super Fattie 3.jpg (107.9 KB) Mexican Super Fattie.jpg (77.1 KB) 
[Reply]
T.G 10:56 PM 05-31-2010
Sounds killer Bob, love the ingredient choices and combination. :-)
[Reply]
jonumberone 12:49 PM 06-04-2010
This is the first I am hearing of this, and have to say I now know how i'm spending my saturday. Just sent the wife for some hot Italian sausage, Broccoli Rabe, Auiricchio Provolone, Romano, Portabella and Porcini mushrooms, Pancetta, garlic, and wax Paper. Probably will add some crushed red pepper for more heat.
[Reply]
T.G 11:12 PM 10-15-2010
Bringing this thread back from the dead with some fatties for tomorrow's herf at Ratter's house...

16oz pork sausage + 6oz beef chorizo pressed out and dusted with garlic, cumin and oregano

Layer of refried beans. Mmmm refried beans w/ rendered pork fat :-)

Layer of Mexican dirty rice (not quite Mexican rice - not quite dirty rice)

Four types of cheese - jack, pepper jack, garlic jack and cheddar.

(continues...)
[Reply]
T.G 11:19 PM 10-15-2010
(continuing...)

Homemade salsa (homegrown tomatoes and peppers) and avocado chunks

All wrapped up and ready for tomorrow

Fattie #2, same ingredients, just a little bit less of the filling since that first one was kind of a PITA to roll up - worried about the sausage tearing and leaking filling all over the place

Both of them wrapped up and into the refrigerator they go for the overnight

In retrospect, I probably should have done the second one as a pinwheel roll, rather than a stuffed sausage roll - that way I could have compared the cooking results between the two. Oh well. So long as it doesn't leak, it should be fine.

More tomorrow AM when I light the pit and throw them on.
[Reply]
Prefy 11:37 PM 10-15-2010
Man I wish I didn't look in this thread...freaking want me one of them now!
[Reply]
BigAsh 09:15 AM 10-16-2010
Originally Posted by T.G:
(continuing...)

Homemade salsa (homegrown tomatoes and peppers) and avocado chunks

All wrapped up and ready for tomorrow

Fattie #2, same ingredients, just a little bit less of the filling since that first one was kind of a PITA to roll up - worried about the sausage tearing and leaking filling all over the place

Both of them wrapped up and into the refrigerator they go for the overnight

In retrospect, I probably should have done the second one as a pinwheel roll, rather than a stuffed sausage roll - that way I could have compared the cooking results between the two. Oh well. So long as it doesn't leak, it should be fine.

More tomorrow AM when I light the pit and throw them on.

Dude!....nuff said! :-)
[Reply]
T.G 10:02 AM 10-16-2010
Originally Posted by BigAsh:
Dude!....nuff said! :-)
Thanks bro, I'm about 2:20 or so into the cook right now and the yard smells great... sausage and chorizo w/ hickory, oak, cherry wood smoke...

Going into the bbq at zero-dark-and-early this morning...

Quick peek before checking the meat temperature and rotating the tray 180 because of the hot spot by the fire.

Normally I wouldn't stick a temp probe into one of these, as I think it was Brad (OLS) who put it "That's not a temp check, it's a cheese leak" but since one of them was cracked anyway, just went in though the crack... sitting at about 150 now - probably another hour or hour to hour and a half to go.
[Reply]
T.G 02:07 AM 10-17-2010
(continuing....)

Sliced up at Ratter's house

A bit overstuffed and the very thin outer wall breached in a few places,. but freaking delicious...
[Reply]
smelvis 02:16 AM 10-17-2010
Crap why did I open this thread, I am a non cooking single guy who is now hungry and it's 1:15 am Dammit :-)
[Reply]
LooseCard 06:12 PM 10-17-2010
I did one, and have been thinking about trying again for a while now.

Never even thought about the oven aspect! Thanks!
[Reply]
ucla695 06:40 AM 10-21-2010
That's off the hook! :-)
[Reply]
357 06:54 AM 10-21-2010
Originally Posted by BigAsh:
Me like-y fatties!...here's one I did, cheese and pepperoni....

off the smoker:

Sliced and ready to serve with some ribs, pork tenderloin and homemade pineapple salsa:
That thing looks like a calzone with bacon replacing the dough.

After attending my first Shack Herf (IV) I made my own bacon explosion (fattY). My wife and I tried feta once and carmelized onions as new ingredients, but neither worked as planned. I will have to get more adventerous and give this another shot. This time a super fatty.
[Reply]
JDTexan 07:03 AM 10-21-2010
I have got to try this. Perfect food high in fat for the up coming cold weather!
[Reply]
rizzle 10:45 AM 10-21-2010
So 160 - 165 is the internal temp to look for?

I did one a few weeks back and just went off looks really. I figured when the bacon looked done, it was done, and that was fairly accurate.

I used a pound of mild italian, a pound of chorizo, mozzarella, parmigiano reggiano, sundried tomatoes, fresh basil, portobello mushrooms, and a smear or two of pesto. It was pretty freaking good, but I think I might could have gone for a little less time.
[Reply]
357 02:11 PM 10-21-2010
Originally Posted by rizzle:
So 160 - 165 is the internal temp to look for?

I did one a few weeks back and just went off looks really. I figured when the bacon looked done, it was done, and that was fairly accurate.

I used a pound of mild italian, a pound of chorizo, mozzarella, parmigiano reggiano, sundried tomatoes, fresh basil, portobello mushrooms, and a smear or two of pesto. It was pretty freaking good, but I think I might could have gone for a little less time.
If you smoke 'em its 2.5 hours or so. In the oven 1.5 with another 10 min on broil to make the weave crispy. Although my fatties weren't as large.
[Reply]
rizzle 02:18 PM 10-21-2010
Originally Posted by 357:
If you smoke 'em its 2.5 hours or so. In the oven 1.5 with another 10 min on broil to make the weave crispy. Although my fatties weren't as large.
I smoked it, and it was probably on for 4 hours or so at ~225. But as my good friend Smokin Gator says, the good thing about messing up is you get to eat the mistakes. Tweren't a bad mistake, either. :-)
[Reply]
68TriShield 02:46 PM 10-21-2010
So has anyone used ground Beef instead of Sausage/Pork?
[Reply]
SNKBYT 02:59 PM 10-21-2010
Originally Posted by 68TriShield:
hey bub!.......what about a blend of sausage/ground beef?
[Reply]
LooseCard 07:51 PM 10-21-2010
Originally Posted by 68TriShield:
I've heard of someone using beef, making a grilled cheeseburger fattie.
I've also read about someone using Ground Turkey.....
[Reply]
Page 5 of 7
« First < 345 67 >
Up