Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Accessory Discussion / Reviews>Otterbox Cidar Caddy 15 cigar
MagicDrop 05:01 PM 07-19-2014
I picked up this travel humidor to use at home! I have used it for a week with good results so far anyone have any tips for me as I am new to this!
[Reply]
pnoon 05:25 PM 07-19-2014
Originally Posted by MagicDrop:
I picked up this travel humidor to use at home! I have used it for a week with good results so far anyone have any tips for me as I am new to this!
As long as you have some sort of humidification device, you should be fine.
[Reply]
MagicDrop 10:00 PM 07-19-2014
It has a small foam "puck" in the lid. It claims to keep the box at 70% humidity if you use the PG solution!
[Reply]
pnoon 10:16 PM 07-19-2014
Personally, I think 70% RH is too wet.
As for PG, that stuff is crap. Get yourself some beads or a Boveda pack. Much more reliable and easier to use.
[Reply]
T.G 10:55 PM 07-19-2014
Originally Posted by pnoon:
Personally, I think 70% RH is too wet.
As for PG, that stuff is crap. Get yourself some beads or a Boveda pack. Much more reliable and easier to use.
Ditto.

And to add that, PG and the foam pucks are really more of a one-way solution, it humidifies but doesn't absorb humidity well, if any at all. Those otter boxes are completely airtight so the combination of the two is a recipe for over-humidified cigars and mold. Something like the boveda packs or the HCM beads will actually absorb excess humidity and prevent those problems.
[Reply]
NCRadioMan 03:45 AM 07-20-2014
Originally Posted by pnoon:
As long as you have some sort of humidification device, you should be fine.
Or not. :-) I have carried one around for years without any need for humidification. If the cigars are in good shape going in, they will stay that way for a loooong time. I have had some cigars in the same unhumidified box for years with no ill effects at all! They seal that well.

I have found if you use that small puck-style humidifier, like Adam mentioned, it will be too much and be much too wet.

And I agree, PG solution is crap and should never be used.
[Reply]
MagicDrop 09:46 AM 07-20-2014
Really? That's good to know. Everyone around here that I know who smokes tells me it's the thing to use. I went crazy looking for it. Wish I hadn't now. I will let this foam dry out and not use it again.

1 last question about it. Should I put the cigars in the case in their wrapper or should I take them out?
[Reply]
T.G 10:07 AM 07-20-2014
Really? That's good to know. Everyone around here that I know who smokes tells me it's the thing to use. I went crazy looking for it. Wish I hadn't now. I will let this foam dry out and not use it again.

1 last question about it. Should I put the cigars in the case in their wrapper or should I take them out?

If by wrapper, you mean the cellophane sleeves, it's a personal choice. It's porous and will pass humidity while protecting the capa (outer tobacco leaf of the cigar, aka wrapper) from damage and can deter the spread of mold from cigar to cigar, so I just leave them as they come.

Plus, I'm lazy. Too much work to pull all the cellophane off and put everything back in the boxes.
[Reply]
MagicDrop 10:01 PM 07-20-2014
Lol good to know. And yes that's what I mean. I'm lazy as well 1/2 the time I hate the idea of taking off the cellophane when I want to smoke so the idea of taking it off 15 or so at a time is killer!
[Reply]
MurphysLaw 12:36 PM 07-21-2014
I recommend always taking the cellophane off before you smoke. :-)
[Reply]
RobR1205 01:04 PM 07-21-2014
It has a small foam "puck" in the lid. It claims to keep the box at 70% humidity if you use the PG solution!
Tried it once, and the moisture from the puck soaked and ruined the three cigars right below it when I had it at full capacity! Needless to say, I never made that mistake again.

I personally take a 65% Boveda packet and place it underneath the very last foam insert so it's not directly touching any of my sticks. I've kept cigars in the case for weeks at a time with no issues. Since the otterbox-type cases are so airtight, I would go with a lower humidity than normal to avoid any mold problems.
[Reply]
Up