Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Accessory Discussion / Reviews>Its time....(Another Coolidor Build)
mjdx88 11:40 AM 07-01-2014
Hey guys,

Well its gonna happen. I always wanted to purchase a nice desktop humidor but never got around to it. Now I have moved and believe or not I have no where to put a desktop / table top humidor in my house (not going to be putting a $300+ humi hidden in a basement).

So I have done my research and found my notes from last time around. I need CA's help getting the last details.

I don't want to go for a massive humi, I only smoke a few times a month during the warmer months of the year (No smoking in the house). I'm thinking a 70 to 100 Qt will be perfect, maybe even a 48/50qt. The space were it will be going (on top of my mini beer fridge) will require the cooler to be standing up like a cabinet. I also want to do cedar shelves and trays. What that in mind, who makes the best cooler for this application?

Will I need to add latches?

Also is GolfNut still making shelves?

I'm pretty good on the steps I will need to take to setup the cooler, I will most likely use the heartfelt beads since this is what I have been using in my temp setup

I'm planning on using a variable speed equipment fan to move air, I will use the drain plug as the wire port and seal it with silicone caulk.

Anything else I should take into account?

Pics to come as the build progresses.

Thanks,
Mike
[Reply]
gettysburgfreak 01:04 PM 07-01-2014
Have you thought about getting a small wine fridge and making that into a humi? Looks a lot better, you can get Spanish cedar shelves for it, and utilize the fan as well.
[Reply]
mjdx88 01:20 PM 07-01-2014
I have considered this, but I have not found a decent used one in my area. I'm also a little concerned about having any leaks. Also I would not be plugging the unit in, my basement seems to stay a nice 60 degrees even on the hottest days with the house getting up to 82.
[Reply]
Sweet_Leaf_PDX 05:48 PM 07-01-2014
If you want to stand it up and do shelves I would go with this one: http://www.walmart.com/ip/Coleman-Xt...Green/21947771

Here is a place to order shelves: http://www.wineadors.com/coolidors.html - just know that it could take months to get them.
[Reply]
WhiteMamba 08:54 PM 07-01-2014
If you want to go a little cheaper and depending on your size needs I use these baskets in my Coleman 48qt. 4 fit in perfectly with some space in the middle for boxes stacking would probably also work. :-)

http://www.amazon.com/Rubbermaid-558...tack+and+slide
[Reply]
mjdx88 01:18 PM 07-03-2014
Sweet Leaf : That will be my back up, I'm trying to see if the smaller chests have the same style of slots as the 150 qt. I havent been able to find pictures or any in stores yet. Thanks for the link for the shelves, I will probability order a few. In the mean time baust55's post is a great idea using the pre-made trays and making them into shelves.

WhiteMamba: I'll keep this in-mind I think this as an alternative. Although I think the 48 qt is going to be too small.
[Reply]
NCRadioMan 04:37 PM 07-03-2014
Originally Posted by mjdx88:

I'm planning on using a variable speed equipment fan to move air
Why? Cigars age better when air flow is kept at a minimum. I never understood why people do this with such small containers.
[Reply]
bobarian 06:33 PM 07-03-2014
Originally Posted by NCRadioMan:
Why? Cigars age better when air flow is kept at a minimum. I never understood why people do this with such small containers.
:-) Obviously, it's your cooler and you can spend as much as you want. But my idea of a cooler build is a cooler, and some beads. I no longer even bother with a hygrometer as I judge by the way my cigars are smoking. I prefer to save my money for more cigars. :-)
[Reply]
Dude Here 08:51 PM 07-03-2014
I've got a 70qt Coleman and it is great. More than enough space for 9 boxes of mixed sticks plus 1lbs of beads. I have to recharge the beads about once every other month and it holds at a solid 65%. I used to use a 300ct desktop humi with a Cigar Oasis and found that needed more upkeep than my cooler.
[Reply]
mjdx88 02:09 PM 07-07-2014
RadioMan, I thought one wanted to move air in large humis because of getting large pockets of humidity and as the cigars age there is a build up of ammonia?

This is news to me.

Dude is your cooler standing or sitting?
[Reply]
Up